question for ATYCLB bashers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
Even though I love ATYCLB, and the new song, I have been wondering what the bashers think of this new song compared to it. Well? It is what you hoped for?

I strongly dislike ATYCLB

vertigo makes me hopeful for the new album

darker in tone, less adult oriented.

Still...the song, while energetic, is derivative and, at times, boring. I appreciate the bass and the bridgy part

like I said, it makes me hopeful. I'm saying anything yet!!! :wink:

ATYCLB has grown on me a bit recently, but its still not one of my favourites by a good distance, and I love Vertigo.

might be time to give up

Basstrap said:
I strongly dislike ATYCLB

vertigo makes me hopeful for the new album

darker in tone, less adult oriented.

Still...the song, while energetic, is derivative and, at times, boring. I appreciate the bass and the bridgy part

like I said, it makes me hopeful. I'm saying anything yet!!! :wink:

Maybe it's just me, but if you dislike ATYCLB and Vertigo doesn't do it for you it might be time to look into new bands and new music. Something else.
I love Vertigo.

vertigo sounds like the Vines.

It is NOT time for me to be into a new band.
U2 never used to copy the trend of the year...but here we have them doing just that

like I said
it is not a horrible song, but it is derivative

the trick is to be subtle with it

I liked it better when U2 started the trends

U2 never has and still ISN'T copying the trend of the year. They take current influences around the world and work them into their own, unique sound. Honestly - listen to anything from the Joshua Tree onward and the influences are very obvious. Remember when some people even criticized U2 for Rattle and Hum because it sounded like they were trying to imitate too much?

Achtung, Baby was influenced by European electronica. As was Zooropa. POP was influenced by the dance music that was circulating at the time. Vertigo is no different. The guys of U2 don't live in caves. They're aware of the music that's out there and it influences them, just as every other band is influenced by what they hear. U2 isn't being derivative, they're moving with the times. When someone says, "They don't sound like U2 anymore...they're ripping people off," all I can say to that is:

Ok - what does U2 sound like?

Do they sound like The Fly? Or do they sound like One Tree Hill? Or is it MLK that you think epitomizes U2's sound? Or maybe it's Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car. Heck, you know what? Mofo is the definitive U2 sound.

My point is - U2 is too big, and too creative to be boxed into a 'U2' sound. U2 changes but still retains that 'it' that Bono said the band had even during their first practice back in 1976.

/rant

Each new U2 record makes the previous ones better. It's been that way since Boy. Maybe people will be able to appreciate the power of Kite, the beauty of Stuck, and the soul of IALW now that they have their hard rock tune.

Well, I can't really argue opinion though, so I'm not going to. I like the song, and I guess that's all that matters to me? I am glad I have very limited exposure to The Vines otherwise maybe I would have thought it sounded kind of like them? I just hear U2 in this song.

Miggy D said:
U2 never has and still ISN'T copying the trend of the year. They take current influences around the world and work them into their own, unique sound. Honestly - listen to anything from the Joshua Tree onward and the influences are very obvious. Remember when some people even criticized U2 for Rattle and Hum because it sounded like they were trying to imitate too much?

Achtung, Baby was influenced by European electronica. As was Zooropa. POP was influenced by the dance music that was circulating at the time. Vertigo is no different. The guys of U2 don't live in caves. They're aware of the music that's out there and it influences them, just as every other band is influenced by what they hear. U2 isn't being derivative, they're moving with the times. When someone says, "They don't sound like U2 anymore...they're ripping people off," all I can say to that is:

Ok - what does U2 sound like?

Do they sound like The Fly? Or do they sound like One Tree Hill? Or is it MLK that you think epitomizes U2's sound? Or maybe it's Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car. Heck, you know what? Mofo is the definitive U2 sound.

My point is - U2 is too big, and too creative to be boxed into a 'U2' sound. U2 changes but still retains that 'it' that Bono said the band had even during their first practice back in 1976.

/rant

Amen.

Basstrap said:
the trick is to be subtle with it

I liked it better when U2 started the trends

No. The trick is to be blatant, not coy. Look at Bowie, The Stones, Zep, and T.Rex. They wore their influences on their sleeves. There's nothing wrong with that IMHO. And U2's "garage' roots go back well beyond The Hives or Vines. Ever listen to their early demos? Ramones and Clash all the way.

This flogs the socks off ATYCLB so much it's not funny. The only songs off ATYCLB that compete are Beautiful Day, Walk On, and Kite, and personally, I feel they all pale in comparison because I particularly love it when U2 ROCK.

Axver said:
This flogs the socks off ATYCLB so much it's not funny. The only songs off ATYCLB that compete are Beautiful Day, Walk On, and Kite, and personally, I feel they all pale in comparison because I particularly love it when U2 ROCK.

Vertigo is not better than Kite. It may "rock harder", but it's not a better song.

I'm not an ATYCLB hater, its a very good album, but this song rocks in much more natural way than say, Elevation, its really great..I would say it rivals Beautiful Day as a genius first album single, and its good to hear that at least on this song they aren't mellowing like most other older bands do.

PS- Bono sounds better here than on any track of thr last album..really soaring. :)

It does rock! I was thinking about the Vines comparison, though I LIKE that type of music and am glad to see it replace the rapmetal/numetal trend which HAD to die! I think this song will fit in very well with the current music scene and appeal to audiences of all ages! :up:

Re: might be time to give up

Matthew_Page2000 said:

Maybe it's just me, but if you dislike ATYCLB and Vertigo doesn't do it for you it might be time to look into new bands and new music. Something else.
I love Vertigo.

I think so too. Sometimes the complaining about the albums (ATYCLB or POP, and now this new one, who knows?) gets so redundant from a few of the guys here I wonder what they expect and are they even fans anymore? :shrug:

MrBrau1 said:

Vertigo is not better than Kite. It may "rock harder", but it's not a better song.

Right now, I think it is. Give it a few months and Kite will again take its position in my top 10-20 U2 songs, but for now, it's been well and truly knocked out by Vertigo.

Axver said:

Right now, I think it is. Give it a few months and Kite will again take its position in my top 10-20 U2 songs, but for now, it's been well and truly knocked out by Vertigo.

Your insane.:wink:

Even the greatest diamonds in the world have flaws, but why waste what little time you have in life bringing yourself and everyone else around you down by choosing to focus on the flaws in this diamond of a song?

MrBrau1 said:

I agree yes

I like the energy of Vertigo
I love that all 4 guys sound great

but that doesn't make it on of their best songs yet
still a very very good song
pretty amazing by anyone else their standard

I'm just happy to hear them plugged in again, out of the mid-tempo range and stepping it up a gear, it's what ATYCLB severly lacked.

Back
Top Bottom