Question for 00's Bashers/90's Lovers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Moser what band you think is rocknroll (other than u2)
please do tell.

Bo Diddley (one of many)

What else do you want to know? Please tell.

Wow. HTDAAB is U2's first true rock album? In what way are Boy or War not true rock albums?

Why do you care to know when you've already shot down one of my opinions? I wouldn't waste my time.

You guys are the best!!! I fucking love this thread !:applaud:

OK. This decade has only TWO ALBUMS!

After POP, U2 felt they had lost some ability to connect with the abilities, which isn't hard to believe considering the GRAND and STATELY run they had during the 90's. They had never been in this position before, so they make a record that is more down to earth and humbled. The songs were less experimental, but LESS EXPERIMENTAL DOESN'T MEAN MORE MAINSTREAM.

Considering the wide success of ATYCLB, U2 simplifies there sound and tries to make a rock n' roll album more reminescent of their first three albums. IT IS THEIR FIRST TRUE ROCK ALBUM. Not bad in my opinion. Some great numbers.

So WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?

I'll tell you the problem. You are angry that U2 hasn't made an innovative album that has redefined music we were just getting used to. WHOOPIE FUCKING DOO!. Get over it and go listen to Beautiful Day, Elevation, New York, In a Little While, Kite, Vertigo, Original of the Species, and All Because of You. Stop regretting what could have been.

I find it hilarious that you are trying to tell everybody else what their feelings are about the music. Do you have a PHD in Psychology?

And I'm sorry, but HTDAAB their first true rock album? Are you just as deranged as Bono is?

It's nothing to do with wanting U2 to be innovative and reinventing themselves really.

The way I would sum up their output in the 00s, compared to their previous work, is that on the whole, with the exception of a few of the songs, it has been quite bland and boring.

I am cautiously optimistic about the new album, based on comments made by Lanois and Eno in particular.

Good question

I agree. I actually really enjoy 00s U2, as it has a special place in my heart for getting me hooked on U2 in the first place. However, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I think that the bashing probably comes from a fear that U2 have lost the ability to make groundbreaking music in a studio setting. ATYCLB and HTDAAB are not transcendental like War, UF, JT, AB and Pop are (in many opinions). However, perhaps if U2 can prove that 00s was experimentation, not scraping the bottom of the bucket for all thats left, then the U2 community can forgive them and appreciate them in their own right. We can enjoy them, rather than just feel disapointed by them.

So, yes, I really think it would help to know that they've still got it.

"War" was a continuation of the sounds U2 established on "Boy" and "October".

JT was a continuation of the sounds U2 established on UF.

"Pop" imitated everything from Chemical Bros. and Prodigy to George Harrison.

U2 have had very creative periods. Some of their best work does appear on "War" and JT, but I would call them nothing more than refining a sound U2 already discovered. Does that make them "transcendental"? I guess it depends on your definition. In my world, it does not.

U2's 00's work succeeded in that U2 wanted to make albums where "every song could be a hit". Granted, not every song was and there are quite a few songs I question being on those albums. But as a collection of songs, U2 succeeded very nicely.

As albums, though, U2 didn't quite reach the heights of "War", JT and AB.

As for "Zooropa" and "Pop", I appreciate the work U2 did in experimenting in new directions. And even though there is quite a bit that didn't work on those albums, some songs were brilliant. Still, those albums came across as somewhat self-indulgent - experimentation for the sake of experimentation. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but one does have to be careful. Is the experimentation leading to great music? As those albums show, the answer is not always.

The 00's music does seem safer - and that comes out of the "every song is a hit" mentality. In some ways, this was also experimental for U2. If I listened to JT today as if it was a brand new album, nothing on it would leap out as a hit single. I might think the "slow love song" aspect of WOWY could work (as slow love songs are often hits), but I never would have predicted "Streets" or "I Still Haven't..." be to hits. Yet, of course, they were. U2's 00's work was the first time U2 actually tried to write bit hit songs. The irony is that U2 still stood out for their time.

That fact is ultimately U2's charm. This is also why "Pop" didn't quite succeed. U2's charm is that they produce music that is out of step with everyone else. AB succeeded in an era of grunge. JT succeeded in an era of hair bands. ATYCLB succeeded in an era of bubblegum pop. They stood out as unique. "Pop" tended to blend in too much with the times.

I won't dismiss any of U2's 90's work. Even if it some of it wasn't wildly popular, it allowed U2 to remain an active band - not one forgotten come the turn of the decade (as so many 80's bands faded in the 90's). Likewise, while I do feel U2's 00's work is overall more "safe", it has allowed U2 to work on song structure, something we saw bits and pieces of in the past, but never to this extent.

Therefore, both eras stand out, despite some weaknesses. In an ideal world, I'd combine the best of "Zooropa" and "Pop" into one album. I'd also combine the best of ATYCLB and HTDAAB into one album. Of course, what is the best is very subjective. :sexywink:

Nonetheless, let's hope U2 have found a way to combine the best of the 80's overall album design, the best of the 90's experimentation and the best of the 00's song development on the next album. It's a tall order, but if this is truly U2's more "complete and radical" album, it will have to do just that.

I find it hilarious that you are trying to tell everybody else what their feelings are about the music. Do you have a PHD in Psychology?

And I'm sorry, but HTDAAB their first true rock album? Are you just as deranged as Bono is?

No, but I read U2 by U2 and they go into depth about how they feel about each album. I'm just summing it up into one or two sentences.

I am deranged. So what.

No, but I read U2 by U2 and they go into depth about how they feel about each album. I'm just summing it up into one or two sentences.

I am deranged. So what.

I read U2 by U2 as well, I know how "they" feel. What I feel is that they are all deranged if they think that HTDAAB is their most rocking album. I mean, what was all that good stuff they were doing thru the 80's and 90's? New Age music? Country?

Rock and Roll has always been about heart and soul, two things the Bomb severely lacked.

Unless they are referring to totally superficial details, like the fact that Edge uses distortion in 3 songs, and that the songs are louder than ever due to in-your-face production.

Take every song off "Achtung Baby" and play them next to every song on Bomb and then come back and tell me it's their most rocking album.

Well I think U2 were speaking on purely surface issues when they made that comment. If you look at interviews throughout their career, U2 have always found themselves rather dislocated from their peers and not always in a good way. Bono said once that he thought Pride was the first real proper song they wrote, and obviously many wouldn't agree with this, but I kinda understand what he was getting at.

Songs like Vertigo and ABOY were the first times U2 wrote straight forward "rock" riffs, so I understand what they were saying when they made this comment(and you have to understand it's part hype too when they say these things) but the problem is U2 isn't their best when they are this straight forward...

Well I think U2 were speaking on purely surface issues when they made that comment. If you look at interviews throughout their career, U2 have always found themselves rather dislocated from their peers and not always in a good way. Bono said once that he thought Pride was the first real proper song they wrote, and obviously many wouldn't agree with this, but I kinda understand what he was getting at.

Songs like Vertigo and ABOY were the first times U2 wrote straight forward "rock" riffs, so I understand what they were saying when they made this comment(and you have to understand it's part hype too when they say these things) but the problem is U2 isn't their best when they are this straight forward...

Yea, i agree with u there, U2 are at their best when they are experimenting (and i don't mean with synthesizers and club beats), but with their own sound, when the sound and feel of the music is first priority, and then they touch up on the song structures. I tried listening to the Bomb the other day, it had been a while, almost a year, and i gotta to be honest i really thought i was going to like it, but i couldn't get into their sound. Forget the lyrics, and the chords, and the songs, i just couldn't get over the dreadful performances. LAPOE sounds worse to me now than it ever did, what an uninspired performance. I doesn't swing, flow, drive, rock, nothing. It sounds like a jam...a very "bad" jam, like the musicians haven't learned their parts yet, and are merely just trying to keep time. Larry Mullen sounds like they just woke him up from a nap b4 hitting the record button.

So yea, what i'd like to hear most of all from the new album is inspired, unique performances from a unique band, and not four bored musicians lazily filling in the holes of a half assed song. Get the music right first.

I read U2 by U2 as well, I know how "they" feel. What I feel is that they are all deranged if they think that HTDAAB is their most rocking album. I mean, what was all that good stuff they were doing thru the 80's and 90's? New Age music? Country?

Rock and Roll has always been about heart and soul, two things the Bomb severely lacked.

Unless they are referring to totally superficial details, like the fact that Edge uses distortion in 3 songs, and that the songs are louder than ever due to in-your-face production.

Take every song off "Achtung Baby" and play them next to every song on Bomb and then come back and tell me it's their most rocking album.

I still don't understand why there is so much disagreement or why it even matters if Hut Dab was their first true rock album or not. That was an opinion of mine, not fact.

A rocking album doesn't mean its their best album. There are different types of rock n' roll and U2 has seemed to put a different element into each of their albums.

So maybe "true rock" isn't the best phrase, but HTDAAB was designed to "rock out". You catching what I'm saying?

Back
Top Bottom