Question about "Van Diemens land"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ronald42

The Fly
I'm sure this has been asked before so someone can give a quick reply to it. Ever since the R&H album came out I've been wondering if there excists a version of this song with all the lyrics which are printed in the booklet. And why was it edited?

Ronald

I made a mix of this song a long time ago. Nothing special well not even a mix really just the studio version edited (on the end) like The Edge sings it live. If someone likes to hear it leave a message (after the beep) and I'll look it up. (Must dig deep)

BEEEEEEEEEEEEP..................................

dsmith2904 said:
I don't know where you can find a complete version of the song but the band supposedly edited it as not to rile up the IRA.

Really? I'm surprised that would have been a big concern for them. Unless if it was for their safety, in which case, I could understand.

Yeah......what are the missing lyrics?
The lyrics that I've found have no mention
or bearing on the IRA at all.

Last edited:
Missing lyrics

Still the gunman rules and widows pay
a scarlet coat, now a black baret
They thought that blood and sacrifice
could out of dead bring forth a life

I don't see any real danger in those lyrics really.

Last edited:
Ronald42 said:
Missing lyrics

Still the gunman rules and widows pay
a scarlet coat, now a black baret
They thought that blood and sacrifice
could out of dead bring forth a life

I don't see any real danger in those lyrics really.

Heavy lyrics, but I don't see any controversy over those lyrics either.
It does alter the song's meaning.
I'm kind of glad they did edit that out.
"Van Diemen's Land" as it now, is a powerful song with great lyrics!
That missing lyric, to me, confuses
the meaning of the song.

Anyone ever notice how similar it is to "Lost Highway".......?

Oh, and Ronald, you are my god. I still listen to your megamix all of the time. Best. Remix. Ever.

I'm not sure, but I think I read somewhere (though my memory of this is really fuzzy) that the complete version with the omitted verse came out with the first pressing of the cassette version (or was it vinyl version?). I hope some U2 historians and geeks can help figure this out.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
I'm not sure, but I think I read somewhere (though my memory of this is really fuzzy) that the complete version with the omitted verse came out with the first pressing of the cassette version (or was it vinyl version?). I hope some U2 historians and geeks can help figure this out.

Cheers,

J

This interesting that would mean it excists. Who has some more info?

Ronald42 said:

This interesting that would mean it excists. Who has some more info?

Chances are I probably am wrong though. If it did exist then it would have been out in mp3 long long ago through some U2 geek. Perhaps I am just confusing it with another song or whatever. I am really not sure on this, so don't quote me as saying it exists. That is why I am looking for other U2 geeks to corroborate my statement. I have read so much and know so much about U2 already, I kinda get lost sometimes on what I remember.

Cheers,

J

I remember reading, I think it's in NME's Uncut magazine, that Edge cut the lyrics because of time limitations, not because of the content.

AvsGirl41 said:
I remember reading, I think it's in NME's Uncut magazine, that Edge cut the lyrics because of time limitations, not because of the content.

If that's the case (and it wouldn't really suprise me) they should have made it a B-side somewhere. Ahhhhh we can dream....

Back
Top Bottom