Question about the show of 1989-12-26.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBrazilianFly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
On the amazing show of 1989-12-26 at the Point Depot during Gloria Bono introduces the band but instead of saying their real names he says other names like "On guitar Michael Smurfet", not sure if that's it, he names the others differently too. I looked for the names and never found anything, probably because I can't understand them correctly. So I was wondering if anyone knows who are those people really.

By the way that sow is amazing, as I said on the begging :D, I love that version of Gloria and specially Love Rescue Me, gotta love the ending with Bono screaming like a mad preacher. :cool:

I'm not sure, so I'm only guessing here. I think Bono's still meaning his band members. But either he completely made those names up (I mean, who in the audience didn't know the real names of the U2 members, in their own hometown). Or those were the names the band used when checking into hotels during the Lovetown tour.

:shrug:

Just my guess...

C ya!

Marty

Actually they are the names of some of the wealthier Irish citizens (businessmen) from that year. I believe there was some type of published report around that time that showed who was wealthiest and those are the names Bono is using. I cant remember exactly though, but I believe that is what he is referencing.

Last edited:
:ohmy: Tha'ts weird, I thought they would end up being band members from a band they liked or something. Thanks Blue Room.

Good guess there about being their fake hotel names Marty, I wonder what are their fake hotel names..... :scratch:

TheBrazilianFly said:
Good guess there about being their fake hotel names Marty, I wonder what are their fake hotel names..... :scratch:

I think those names vary by tour (or even by leg). You don't want to to get out (which will eventually happen of course). I read somewhere that for the Zooropa (or was it Zoomerang :scratch: ) tour, they used (last) names of Irish (super)models. :laugh:
And for the first leg of the ZooTV tour Bono wanted to use the names of The Monkees (eventually they didn't though, since The Monkees are also very famous).

:)

Marty

Popmartijn said:

I think those names vary by tour (or even by leg). You don't want to to get out (which will eventually happen of course). I read somewhere that for the Zooropa (or was it Zoomerang :scratch: ) tour, they used (last) names of Irish (super)models. :laugh:
And for the first leg of the ZooTV tour Bono wanted to use the names of The Monkees (eventually they didn't though, since The Monkees are also very famous).

:)

Marty

And it's well known that at one point on the Zoo Tour, Bono was using the name Harry Bollocks, which worked well until Ali joined the tour, and she then refused to be referred to as Mrs. Harry Bollocks. Can't say I blame her.:wink:

Hey, regarding the 1989-12-26 show, go and listen to Streets from it if you haven't done so for a while. Man, this is surely one of the best versions EVER of Streets. Bono dedicates it to Sam Beckitt (Irish poet) who had died some time before the show, and a little like the Slane DVD version, he sings it like no other version.

AndrewCowley said:
Hey, regarding the 1989-12-26 show, go and listen to Streets from it if you haven't done so for a while. Man, this is surely one of the best versions EVER of Streets. Bono dedicates it to Sam Beckitt (Irish poet) who had died some time before the show, and a little like the Slane DVD version, he sings it like no other version.

Absolutely, he definitely adds some different and strong vocals on that song. Really, really good, one of my favorite versions of Streets. I also like the "Oh yeah!" at the end of it. I believe Bono also adds some of those vocals on WOWY too. :yes: In that same show at the end of Angel of Harlem they add a GREAT snippet of Suspicious Minds, I LOVE that!!!!!! It's one of my favorite songs ever! I wish they had played the whole song since they had B.B.?s orchestra there with them to make it even better. The whole show is just great. :up:

A bit more info on the original topic of this thread. I went back and found the Irish papers with reviews of those shows that my friends that attended sent me. The names are indeed some famous wealthy businessmen from Ireland. U2 apparantly took some flack before these shows that the tickets were to expensive and some critics were saying they were using the small Dublin shows to line their pockets by charging high prices for the tickets because they knew demand would be great. If you notice during ISHFWILF Bono mentions that "we're not here to make a pile of dough or anything, really". I think Bono is making fun of those critics by calling the members of the band the wealthy businessmen names. As he also references it sarcastically in that statement during ISHFWILF also.

AndrewCowley said:

Oh, I have to agree with you there! It's such a wonderful rendition, and I love it how he quotes my favourite poem, Resolution And Independence by William Wordsworth. I say it's the best performance of Streets ever, with 18 December 1989, Amsterdam a close second. Lovetown definitely had the best Streets.

I forgot I had mp3s from that show, EDGE SHREDS DURING ONE TREE HILL! He totally does a great solo.. Streets is awesome as well because Bono's voice is top notch.

Man, what a great show that was.

Yes I always loved that solo on One Tree Hill, Bono also adds some good improvised vocals at the end of the solo. Very good stuff there. I think Larry deserves a mention here too as he is kicking ass throughout the whole show, specially during All Along The Watchtower, Gloria, With Or Without You and New Year's Day. That's some hard drumming right there on AATW. :evil: I guess that show is an example of what U2 can do on a good night.

?Checoslovaquia, East Germany, Poland, Romania, because of one man, one man? THE EDGE!!!?

That performance of One Tree Hill just had me in tears. For those of you where it's still 3 July, it's the eighteenth anniversary of the death of Greg Carroll. There's a thread on PLEBA about it.

The Lovetown tour seems like the most polished of all U2 tours EVER.. It also seemed like the most draining. Didn't Larry say that he was wore out by that tour? Something along the lines of "We're not Bruce Springsteen, we don't have to play like him every night."

I think it was mentioned on the U2 VH1 Legends.

I never heard or read that quote before but what I do know is that Larry said that it was becoming a job and that they needed to do something different. I guess he was tired of playing the old hits and stuff and I guess that's why in that tour they weren't playing Sunday Bloody Sunday anymore and were trying different things like playing a cover song (All Along The Watchtower) and trying their best to come up with different set-lists. Still I guess Larry and probably the whole band wasn?t satisfied with they way things were. They were all probably just tired and needed something new, they were doing all that for 10 straight hardworking years by that point.

:lol: biff

Also, not only are the Monkees famous, they'd look suspiciously young if they used their names.

It's an amazing show, and an amazing Bootleg. I love turning the first 4 songs and also One Tree Hill upto the max on my car stereo! Unfortunatly the organ sound in Streets comes through way too strong and you can't hear the Edge.

Best versions of One Tree Hill and Streets ever.
Bono's voice in Streets is incredible. Was he ever that good?
We're beaten and blowned by the wind...TRAMPLED IN DUST!!!

12-26-1989 is probably the best show of that tour and the best show among all the Dublin shows. The band energy is high and Bono's voice is at its peak.

The much hyped but greatly overrated new year's eve show is a far cry from the 12-26 show. In the new year's eve show, the band seems fatigued and Bono's voice has lost a bit of its juice, maybe after singing too many consecutive nights. I don't even understand why fans regard the New Years' eve show higher than the 12-26 show. Even in terms of sound (soundboard) quality, the 12-26 show is quite good on its own.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
12-26-1989 is probably the best show of that tour and the best show among all the Dublin shows. The band energy is high and Bono's voice is at its peak.

The much hyped but greatly overrated new year's eve show is a far cry from the 12-26 show. In the new year's eve show, the band seems fatigued and Bono's voice has lost a bit of its juice, maybe after singing too many consecutive nights. I don't even understand why fans regard the New Years' eve show higher than the 12-26 show. Even in terms of sound (soundboard) quality, the 12-26 show is quite good on its own.

Cheers,

J

Actually I agree completely about the New Years show. Its a decent show but after the first three songs it loses all its energy to me and becomes a standard show.

I think 12-26-89 is an excellent show, but setlist and performance wise I think 12-30-89 is the best of the Dublin shows. I know my friends that went to all 4 of those shows said 12-30 was the best, great setlist and they felt it was the only show the band looked completely relaxed and were actually having fun playing. But I do agree that 12-26 is better than the New Years show.

djerdap said:
Best versions of One Tree Hill and Streets ever.
Bono's voice in Streets is incredible. Was he ever that good?
We're beaten and blowned by the wind...TRAMPLED IN DUST!!!

Oh man, I KNOW! The way he sang "TRAMPLED IN DUST!" I wish he could still sing like that, all of the time.

david said:

Oh man, I KNOW! The way he sang "TRAMPLED IN DUST!" I wish he could still sing like that, all of the time.

I agree also, but unfortunately because he was singing like that he was destroying his vocal chords. The rumor has it though its because of those problems that the board recordings of 12-26, 12-27, and 12-30-89 exist for us to enjoy today.

I also agree on One Tree Hill. The end is great with Bono going nuts and Edge's solo, great stuff! 12-26-89 is definately one of the best versions of that song live out there.

Back
Top Bottom