question about the band "Simple Minds' (U2 related)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenslimer

The Fly
Has anyone here ever seen the band Simple Minds play in concert?
Especially front row...

Does Jim (the lead singer of Simple Minds) sing "live"? I mean, does
he really sing or use taped vocals stuff to mouth/mime/lip-sync to like some artists
do for some songs? How can you tell exactly? Does it seem like he
does?.. for those of you that have seen them live, or know anyone
who's linked.
I don't mean like Top of the Pops, or commercially released concert
video or whatever.. Just regular live concerts.

Also, has anyone ever met him?

Also, I know he and Bono are good friends, and eachother's bands.
I heard they have done some duets together during live shows in the early 80s. Does anyone know where I can maybe find some of these? And if U2 has ever released any officially?

Thanks!

Gina Katie

I saw Simple Minds way back in the dinosaur time. They opened for the Pretenders. This was back when Jim and Chrissie were an item. They may still be for all I know. Anyway, as far as I could tell, Jim Kerr sang live. Lip-synching wasn't as issue back then. :shrug:

I have seen Simple Minds a number of times, even met them a couple of times. They are very cool guys and accessible like U2 as people.

Simple Minds are a great live band, and one of my favorites after U2. Jim Kerr has a different technique than Bono. More subdued, he tends to whisper or softly sing into a amped up mic. But when he sings strongly there's power to what he's doing.

I strongly urge other U2 fans to explore their catalog. Simple Minds got off track in the middle to late 80s and did some cheesy stuff, but they have endured and continued with ambition, which I admire. Their musical approach is also a bit more adventurous than most bands.

Check out these albums to get a better sense of what they do. :
Early Gold (a recent release of early tunes)
New Gold Dream
Sparkle in the Rain
Good News From th Next World
Neopolis
Our Secrets Are the Same
Neon Lights (a cover album with some cool choices)
Cry

They even did a cover of Neon Lights as U2 did, in 2001

Bono and Kerr sang together at some shows in 1984, this has recently been released officially with Simple Minds' Silver Box set. It's only available in the UK or internet right now.

Check out www.simpleminds.com for more info...

Later dude,
Mobo

Last edited:
He really sings.

The New gold dream version with Bono is awesome! And their voices are so much alike on this song you almost can't tell who's who!

I remember back there in 91 when SM released their first single from Real Life and ppl were saying it was the new U2 single! LOL

Are you the person that posted this same question on the alt.music/fan.u2 groups recently? I think you got your answer there quite emphatically!

This question popped up on a Simple Minds discussion list just a few weeks back. I've seen Simple Minds 16 times through the years, many a time right at the front, and have met the band on occasion, and have pretty much most live audio recordings of the band in circulation - ie several hundred. Simple Minds along with U2 were one of the most prolific live acts of the 1980's and built their reputation just like U2 from constant touring starting with pubs and finishing up in some of the worlds biggest stadiums, almost back down to pubs again now for SM though!

I can categorically say without a shadow of doubt that JK most definitely sings live at concerts! I believe this discussion originally came about as a Depeche Mode fan was stating that JK didnt if I recall correctly.

JK is far from the world's best singer, and is certainly in a different league to Bono, but anyone who has seen SM live will tell you the same, that JK sings live.

I think Mobonofo pretty much summed up SM in his earlier post, although I would say they've probably lost their way a bit in recent years, but their last studio album Cry was unexpectedly refreshing. Must hear albums:

Empires And Dance
Sons & Fascination
New Gold Dream (81/82/83/84)
Street Fighting Years

For the uninitiated, don't expect another U2. Whilst essentially both are rock bands, although both have strayed from those boundaries to good effect - the 2 bands are very different, despite the comparisons. What the bands have had in common are their origins and their passion for music.

U2 & SM have had a handful of live collaborations all in the 80's...

03.07.1983 'Werchter Festival' (Both bands play a set) - JK & Annie Lennox join Bono during the U2 set - JK on 11 O Clock Tick Tock, and Annie Lennox on 40. This is coincidentally I believe where the bands friendship originates from.

04.01.1985 & 05.01.1985 Barrowland, Glasgow
Simple Minds show for Cash For Kids - Scottish Charity - Bono sings a medley of Take Me To The River and Light My Fire at the end of SM's New Gold Dream (81/82/83/84) two nights running These are the most well known collaborations between the 2, and Bono more or less takes the roof off the Barrowland.

28.06.1986 Croke Park, Dublin
Simple Minds show on the 'Once Upon A Time' world tour. Bono joins the band during 'Sun City' (If I remember rightly, not listened to it for a few years, really bad quality bootleg)

30.07.1987 SECC, Glasgow
Charlie Burchill (SM guitarist) joins U2 on stage during "40"

1987 St Jakobs Football Stadium, Basel
I forget the exact date of this as I lost my tape of it and don't have my U2 Live book to hand. Both Jim Kerr and Chrissie Hynde who were married at the time, join U2 on stage. Can't remember which song it was for.

As far as I'm aware they are still good friends, but I think they very rarely see each other nowadays. It used to be the case that whenever SM played Dublin, U2 would send them champagne, and whenever U2 played Glasgow, SM would send them champagne. I know members of SM were present during one of the Glasgow Elevation gigs.

Hope thats of some use :wink:

I saw them live twice the last few years. They were incredible. Apart from U2, it's the best live show I've ever seen. They performed as a support act of the Rolling Stones, but still they had 70.000 people on their feet with a mix of Ghostdancing and Van Morisson's Gloria. Incredible live, it's the Simple Minds' Where the streets have no name...

And... his voice was real...

btw, this is my 300th post. Let's celebrate! :wink:

reggiethedawg said:
This question popped up on a Simple Minds discussion list just a few weeks back. I've seen Simple Minds 16 times through the years, many a time right at the front, and have met the band on occasion, and have pretty much most live audio recordings of the band in circulation - ie several hundred. Simple Minds along with U2 were one of the most prolific live acts of the 1980's and built their reputation just like U2 from constant touring starting with pubs and finishing up in some of the worlds biggest stadiums, almost back down to pubs again now for SM though!

I can categorically say without a shadow of doubt that JK most definitely sings live at concerts! I believe this discussion originally came about as a Depeche Mode fan was stating that JK didnt if I recall correctly.

JK is far from the world's best singer, and is certainly in a different league to Bono, but anyone who has seen SM live will tell you the same, that JK sings live.

I think Mobonofo pretty much summed up SM in his earlier post, although I would say they've probably lost their way a bit in recent years, but their last studio album Cry was unexpectedly refreshing. Must hear albums:

Empires And Dance
Sons & Fascination
New Gold Dream (81/82/83/84)
Street Fighting Years

For the uninitiated, don't expect another U2. Whilst essentially both are rock bands, although both have strayed from those boundaries to good effect - the 2 bands are very different, despite the comparisons. What the bands have had in common are their origins and their passion for music.

03.07.1983 'Werchter Festival' (Both bands play a set) - JK & Annie Lennox join Bono during the U2 set - JK on 11 O Clock Tick Tock, and Annie Lennox on 40. This is coincidentally I believe where the bands friendship originates from.

04.01.1985 & 05.01.1985 Barrowland, Glasgow
Simple Minds show for Cash For Kids - Scottish Charity - Bono sings a medley of Take Me To The River and Light My Fire at the end of SM's New Gold Dream (81/82/83/84) two nights running These are the most well known collaborations between the 2, and Bono more or less takes the roof off the Barrowland.

28.06.1986 Croke Park, Dublin
Simple Minds show on the 'Once Upon A Time' world tour. Bono joins the band during 'Sun City' (If I remember rightly, not listened to it for a few years, really bad quality bootleg)

30.07.1987 SECC, Glasgow
Charlie Burchill (SM guitarist) joins U2 on stage during "40"

1987 St Jakobs Football Stadium, Basel
I forget the exact date of this as I lost my tape of it and don't have my U2 Live book to hand. Both Jim Kerr and Chrissie Hynde who were married at the time, join U2 on stage. Can't remember which song it was for.

As far as I'm aware they are still good friends, but I think they very rarely see each other nowadays. It used to be the case that whenever SM played Dublin, U2 would send them champagne, and whenever U2 played Glasgow, SM would send them champagne. I know members of SM were present during one of the Glasgow Elevation gigs.

Hope thats of some use :wink:

They've been friends since '82, the champagne thing started at the Glasgow tiffany's show I was at in early december, the "war" songs premiere show.

I was at the 2nd of the Barrowlands shows when Bono joined them onstage, of course by then word of mouth from the first night had spread and everyone knew bono would be back on again, especially as Bono and Ali were sitting in the guest area (right next to me and my girlfriend whose brother was a bouncer).

Oh wow, great story :drool:

If I had a time machine one of those nights would be one of the first stops :D

Yes, you're quite right about the Tiffanys thing, I remember reading about that now.

Hey! Very cool stories!!! :) I enjoyed reading them.Nice to see some Simple Minds fans here. :):)

I heard that Jim added some commentary about U2, during the UK Hall of Fame when U2 was inducted. Lastweek, right?
I dont live in the UK, so sadly I didnt get to see it. We always miss the good stuff here. :-(

So, by being so sure that he didnt lip-sync, are you basing it on that the songs didnt sound like the CD? or other things? Just curious.

As for that, a band could go into the studio and record a live sounding thing for the shows.

Simple Minds are one of my most cherished bands, along with U2, New Order, and Ultravox. In my opinion, they get better each time, even though the material may vary in styles.

But my favorite album from them is New Gold Dream, 81, 82, 83, 84. :)

Thanks again! :)

This guys gets around. I have seen him ask the same question on other message boards.
What the deal. Minds are a great band.

Great band, I got into them and had the oppurtunity to see them live and meet them thanks to mobonofo the last time they played the U.S. in 2002. He is the one that sent me my first SM boots. Jim Kerr has a great voice, he is DEFINATELY singing live.

reggiethedawg said:

I was there, I was there!!!!

I remember the first time I heard Belfast Child, I was just getting into U2 and thought they were pretty similar. But for some reason, U2 won my musical following and simple minds fell by the wayside.... I think I made the right choice !

It was actually because of SM that I became a U2 fan. My friend had a tape with "In the city of light" on one side and "Under a blood red sky" on the other. I borowed the tape because of the SM concert, but ended up a U2 fan:)

I saw them from "front row", it was a club show, Avalon in Boston in June 2002, we got there early and wife and I were leaning on stage right in front of Jim Kerr's spot, he even inadvertently (I think) kicked me in the hand doing one of his little jig dances, the wife nicknamed him "Winky" cause he gave her a wink during one of the songs.
He certainly sang everything that night.

Back
Top Bottom