Question about POP and Zooropa singles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WHYWHY

Acrobat
Ok......I;ve been searching through u2 sites, and NO ONE seems to know how the Numb video single did on the charts around the world....I was wondering if someone had more success? I've been looking through the U2 Chart/Sales stats thread, but well, that doesn't help for Numb.
Also, after LNOE no one seems sure as to how the other POP singles did on the US charts:

Please: 7/9 (charted on the U.S. Maxi-Single Dance Charts)/10
POPHeart EP: 7 (charted as ?Please?)/-/4
If God Will Send His Angels: 12/?/?

This shows Please (which cd?- I'm guessing it is the one with the Dirty Day remixes), reaching No. 9.....but that isn't No. 9 on the Hot 100 is it? So, Please did not make it into the Top 100?
And....well If God will send his angels explains itself......

Thanks Doctorwho for putting so much effort in the past in these kind of things.....
Thanks also to STING, WOMANFISH, POPMARTIJIN, and VOXSON.
Bless ya!
WHYWHY

The POP singles did well on the Modern Rock and Mainstream Rock charts. Both Discotheque and Starring at the Sun were #1 each for a month on the Modern Rock charts and both were top 5 at Mainstream Rock.
Discotheque also did well on the chart that really matters The HOT 100 hitting #10 while Starring at the Sun made it to #26. LNOE made the top 10 on Modern Rock and top 20 on Mainstream Rock. I believe it peaked in the 70s on the Hot 100. PLEASE failed to make either chart except the Modern Rock where it made the top 20.
With ZOOROPA, about 4 songs on there made either the Modern Rock Chart or Mainstream Rock chart. Only STAY made the Hot 100 though peaking at #56. Lemon just missed the Hot 100 peaking at 101. It was #1 on the old Bubbling under Chart back in 1993. I'll have to look back at my Modern Rock / Mainstream Rock book for chart position for ZOOROPA songs.
HMTMKMKM did better than any of the songs of ZOOROPA or POP hitting #1 on the Modern Rock and Mainstream Rock Charts and #16 on the HOT 100.

Oh, If God Would Send His Angels from POP failed to chart anywhere. Still an awesome song though!

Thanks again STING!
There was just one thing, I thought LNOE got to No. 57 on the Hot 100 and STAY got to No. 64 in the USA, whereas it got to No. 4 in the UK.
IS that correct or am I confused (which often is the case
biggrin.gif
)
Bless ya!
WHYWHY

Originally posted by WHYWHY:
Thanks again STING!
There was just one thing, I thought LNOE got to No. 57 on the Hot 100 and STAY got to No. 64 in the USA, whereas it got to No. 4 in the UK.
IS that correct or am I confused (which often is the case
biggrin.gif
)
Bless ya!
WHYWHY

This information is correct as I obtained it from the Billboard charts directly.

The reason I had question marks by some of the songs you listed above is that I did not see them rank anywhere in the Hot 100 on the U.S. charts.

If Sting2 is correct, "Lemon" just missed charting as it reached #101. "Two Hearts Beat As One" - an early U2 song - also just missed charting on the Hot 100 as it reached #103. However, "Lemon" reached #1 on the U.S. Billboard dance charts (as did "Beautiful Day"). And "Lemon" hit #1 in Australia.

To the best of my knowledge, "If God Will Send..." did not chart anywhere in the U.S. Of course, by the time it was released, "Pop" had long since faded from the charts (and from memory) and the song was really being pushed as a single from "City of Angels" soundtrack. The soundtrack sold well, perhaps in part to that U2 song (I did see the video for this song fairly often on MTV) but mostly because of the new Alanis song and the Goo Goo Dolls song "Iris."

i was sure igwsha made the UK top 20 - it was kind of touted as a 1997 "christmas" single

------------------
In the stillness of the evening
When the sun has had its day
I heard your voice whispering...

Back
Top Bottom