question about Bono and WOWY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Popmart, though he has also pulled up girls for Love is blindness on Zoo TV.

Instead of pulling girls onstage, he needs to focus more on singing the song well enough to do it justice. This is the one song, maybe the only song, that he never seems to give his all for. He got his voice back to nearly tip top shape for the Vertigo tour, he could have definitely hit those notes. I understand he has trouble with the falsetto, but the rest of it shouldn't be that hard to do for him now.

The_acrobat said:
I understand he has trouble with the falsetto, but the rest of it shouldn't be that hard to do for him now.

I think his falsetto's fine (listen to WITS). Falsetto is easier to sing than a lot of other notes.

But I agree WOWY needs to go. It's not even pulling the girls up, but the song is getting bland live. Other classic songs they've managed to change up a little bit for each tour, but WOWY always sounds the same. They should have taken out WOWY and Bullet, and instead always played Electric Co or Gloria and something else like Discotheque.

The_acrobat said:
Instead of pulling girls onstage, he needs to focus more on singing the song well enough to do it justice. This is the one song, maybe the only song, that he never seems to give his all for. He got his voice back to nearly tip top shape for the Vertigo tour, he could have definitely hit those notes. I understand he has trouble with the falsetto, but the rest of it shouldn't be that hard to do for him now.

Amen to that. WOWY is weak enough as it is, and whenever Bono pulls a girl on stage, it just gets worse. I got quite sick of watching Bono mumble the lyrics at some girl's waist on the fifth leg.

The thing with WOWY is that there isn't much falsetto---there's just truly high notes. It's actually easier to sing falsetto than it is to hit high notes well. Falsetto is pure "head voice." It's what you hear in WITS. High notes are head voice but with some diaphragm, too. That's Bad, WOWY, Pride, and a million others. The Fat Lady voice is falsetto with some tightening of the vocal cords. That's Lemon, The Fly, etc. Falsetto's the easiest. Hitting high notes well can be done if your voice is in shape & if you're "lost in the song," like Bono says. The Fat Lady voice is tougher to perfect and can screw up your voice if you do it too much. That's why we probably won't see Lemon live again & why Bono doesn't do the Fat Lady voice for most recent live performances of The Fly. He probably could hit the pure high notes in WOWY, but I think it would have to be dropped as a mainstay of the set, appearing only sporadically like Bad.

WOWY did reach #1 in the U.S.......whats that fatal error in the U2 18singles booklet that says #2

also SYCMOYO....it reched #1 in the U.k and says #3

terrible mistakes....dont U2 check it out before its printed, or its the universal bastards that do the work by themselves?

Wow, I really long for a moody, atmospheric, passionate, give-it-your-all, chills-down-your-back live version of WOWY.... No girls, no distractions, just the band, back-lit.... and Bono's voice.

:drool:

I can't remember off the top of my head if the version on Rattle & Hum is that good...

cstar said:
Wow, I really long for a moody, atmospheric, passionate, give-it-your-all, chills-down-your-back live version of WOWY.... No girls, no distractions, just the band, back-lit.... and Bono's voice.

that, plus a little bit more of that "anger" he seemed to have when he sang it at first. Like singing the song was actually troubling him in some way.

Axver said:

Amen to that. WOWY is weak enough as it is, and whenever Bono pulls a girl on stage, it just gets worse. I got quite sick of watching Bono mumble the lyrics at some girl's waist on the fifth leg.

Aw, but if Bono stopped pulling young women up onto the stage during WOWY, Bono's Travelling Girls™ would have to find something else to occupy their time with. :happy:

yes he has been lazy with the song....
maybe its too hard for him to give it all every night as WOWY is a must in every show....

but im still pissed off about the mistakes in the U218singles booklet:angry:

It's really a pity what WoWY has become. I've recently been going through my live recordings, grading them for quality (which is totally subjective, but some traders want grades - what can you do?). Anyway I just finished the JT tour (and it's complete - pats self on back hehe). I would listen to a few songs, so I could grade the recording, and I was picking WoWY a lot...and the passion in B's voice on those versions is just unreal. Especially when he sings the "Shine Like Stars" snippet...you hear the band building up to it, and then Bono lets it fly, WOW! And then I listen to it on the past few tours :( It's like watching "American Pie" or something on TV, with all the good (dirty) parts cut out...a big tease.

Liesje said:

I think his falsetto's fine (listen to WITS). Falsetto is easier to sing than a lot of other notes.

But I agree WOWY needs to go. It's not even pulling the girls up, but the song is getting bland live. Other classic songs they've managed to change up a little bit for each tour, but WOWY always sounds the same. They should have taken out WOWY and Bullet, and instead always played Electric Co or Gloria and something else like Discotheque.

WOWY wasn't played at my show Denver 4/21 I would have loved them to play it !!! This was my first U2 concert .

Outsider said:

Oh my GOD!! I've never seen Popmart on VHS...I seriously can't even imagine that! I'd have melted!:drool: :heart:

me neither, but I have it on my pc.... my secret is called youtube :wink:

it's not that special, he it's very short...

Back
Top Bottom