Que Passa or Donde Esta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Donde Esta, which makes more sense since it translates to "Where is it?"

"I'm at a place called Vertigo" Then someone asking him "Where is it?"

That's what I thought, but then my brother in law told me he heard Que Passe (whats going on?) in there then I started to doubt it was Donde Esta.

thanks, i thought it was donde esta too.

I thought they said "Como esta," like "How are you?" It made sense to me going along with the "Hola." You know, like they're in a club and see someone, shouting out, "Hey, how's it going?"

dsmith2904 said:
I thought they said "Como esta," like "How are you?" It made sense to me going along with the "Hola." You know, like they're in a club and see someone, shouting out, "Hey, how's it going?"

I initially thought it was a club setting too but as I listened, something about the song made me think that the character was alone at Vertigo and he was the only one around him feeling it. That's why I think "Donde esta" makes more sense, because he's talking to someone who isn't with him (or can't relate to him).

Que Pasa?
translates to "what's going on?" or "what's up?"

On the earlier samples, I thought that this was what they were saying too because "what's up?" makes sense in an odd way.

Listen to the song again. In the first chorus Bono says "Donde esta?" and in the second time Bono says "Como esta?" I think in the third time it's "Donde esta?" again! It's right there I'm teling you!!!

Reggie Thee Dog said:

It's my understanding that the EDGE is singing those lines there my friend. And I hear "Donde Esta" all three times too.

Well listen to it again and you'll see. It's even more clear for me now. And it's obviously not The Edge singing there, it's Bono! It's his voice. Just because you saw Edge doing the backing vocals on the BBC video doesn't mean that he sings it on the record. He probably will sing it live. All I can say is listen to it again and pay attention.

EDIT: I heard it again and I think I did hear "Donde esta?" on the second time. Now I don't know anymore. :huh: But I do know it's Bono's voice! :wink:

Last edited:
Ok, Spanish is like my second language living down here in Texas so let me try to explain the difference betweemn "Que Pasa?" and "Donde esta"?:wink:

"Que Pasa" would be used when you meet someone and want to know what's going on with them. It 's like saying "What's happening ?" to your friends.

"Donde esta" is asking where something is located. In "Vertigo" it fits perfectly as Bono is asked (or asking) where this place is.

"Como esta" is similiar to "Que Pasa" - it is a more formal greeting to a friend.

Hopefully this answers any questions about what Bono (or Edge) is saying in "Vertigo". :up:

Maybe learning a bit of espanol would be a good idea before the tour starts next year! :laugh:

YOU GIVE ME SOMETHING I CAN FEEL....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Well, I don´t speak spanish, but portuguese is quite similar. I think Edge (yes, I think it´s Edge here, not Bono) says "Donde estás?" and that would be "where are you?" instead of "where is it?". I might be wrong though. ;)

MT

If you listen closely the backing vocals actually say something shorter than donde esta. I've tried singing it in time with the vocal and the longness of the words doesn't fit. What is sung has three syllables altogether, not four. To me it sounds more like "Donde-sta!"...

SpaceBoy said:
If you listen closely the backing vocals actually say something shorter than donde esta. I've tried singing it in time with the vocal and the longness of the words doesn't fit. What is sung has three syllables altogether, not four. To me it sounds more like "Donde-sta!"...

Well, phonetically you are correct that's exactly how it sounds but what he's staying is Donde Esta. The e in Donde blends with the e of Esta which is why you hear donde sta. (I speak spanish)

I have watched a very high quality version of the TOTP video clip (no it is not complete just what they showed on TOTP, being shared at STG) more that 50 times and to me it definately sounds (and looks) like he's saying Donde Esta (donde sta) as in "where is it" as opposed to "where are you", (Donde Estas)

I guess we'll just have to wait for the official lyrics when the album or single is officially released.

ramblin rose said:

Well, phonetically you are correct that's exactly how it sounds but what he's staying is Donde Esta. The e in Donde blends with the e of Esta which is why you hear donde sta. (I speak spanish)

I have watched a very high quality version of the TOTP video clip (no it is not complete just what they showed on TOTP, being shared at STG) more that 50 times and to me it definately sounds (and looks) like he's saying Donde Esta (donde sta) as in "where is it" as opposed to "where are you", (Donde Estas)

I guess we'll just have to wait for the official lyrics when the album or single is officially released.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, I understand. Sorry, I even take spanish in school, you'd think I'd know some of this stuff.:(

follower said:
Well, I don´t speak spanish, but portuguese is quite similar. I think Edge (yes, I think it´s Edge here, not Bono) says "Donde estás?" and that would be "where are you?" instead of "where is it?". I might be wrong though. ;)

MT

No my friend, the REAL words the band say answering Bono´s line "I´m in a place called Vertigo" is "¿ DÓNDE ESTÁ ?", that means "Where is it ?" :yes:

I´m a native Spanish spoken man, so I can clearly hear "¿DÓNDE ESTÁ ?", there´s no "S" at the end of "ESTÁ".
You´re right in your translations my friend, "¿Dónde está?" means "Where is it?" and "¿Dónde estás?" mean "where are you?", but trust me, the REAL words are "¿DÓNDE ESTÁ?" :up:

;)

Spanish is my first language, and what I hear the 3 times is ¿Donde Esta?... Where is it?

Also thats Bono's voice, not The Edge :D

By the way, spanish is a fonetical language, so it doesn't lose the "e" or "o" in the end, every letter counts, (almost all time ;) )

Rambling Rose is accurate, when you speak fluently ( or too fast) you tend to merge letters when they are the same.

Cuando yo escucho a la cancion "Vertigo", yo pienso que dicen "Donde esta?" Espanol no es mi primer idioma, pero yo hablo y entiendo mucho!

kevink said:
Cuando yo escucho a la cancion "Vertigo", yo pienso que dicen "Donde esta?" Espanol no es mi primer idioma, pero yo hablo y entiendo mucho!

:applaud: :bow: --> Kevink, Spanish is a difficult languaje :)
just look at this, a whole thread just because of two words :lmao:

TheBrazilianFly said:
EDIT: I heard it again and I think I did hear "Donde esta?" on the second time. Now I don't know anymore. :huh: But I do know it's Bono's voice! :wink:

Hhmm... it could be Bono or it could be Edge... or it could be both of them... but ya knwo what, they both sound similar when they sing. On the video, they are both singing that part, that's why I'm saying it could be both.

Back
Top Bottom