Quasi-Baseless Speculation About New Material, Continued 'Wide Awake in Europe' etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Third Version of Winter. In the Rolling Stone cover article that accompanied NLOTH, Eno mentions that he thinks U2 is "bonkers" to leave a song called "Winter" off of the album. The writer of the article describes a lyric that goes "Listening to the silence, the deaf and dumb roar of white noise/Your voice," before the choral section kicks in. Neither version we have available end with that line.
Now that you mention it, does either version have a choral section? If this means, like, an actual choir, this could be epic.

That being said, a band as creative as U2 could seriously expand their artwork through this medium. Kanye West has shot a 40 minute film for a single on his upcoming record. U2, for example, could weave all of their songs into a narrative and have that narrative play out on the screen of your cell-phone, iPod, or laptop as you're listening to the song.

Is this a good idea or bad idea? I don't know. On the one hand, it'd be cool to see the visuals associated with the songs and it would be interesting to see how artsy they could get with it (Moment of Surrender, for example, would make a fantastic video if done correctly.) That being said, you could lose some of the song's ability to be interpreted different ways (see: last thread's Achtung Baby debate.). Also, visuals can often make the music secondary. I listen to U2 because their music moves me, it hits me emotionally. It's not background music while I'm sitting in traffic or watching a film.

Isn't this what Linear is? (Sort of) I know it isn't exactly that, but it seems they had those ideas in mind. Bono talked about something like what you described specifically in one interview and he was very excited about it. I remember before the album was released and we were hearing bits of info about it, we were talking about what it might be like and we had speculated that it could be something like what you described (mostly based on Bono's comments). Linear didn't turn out exactly like that, but they at least think about it.

Re: Third Version of Winter. In the Rolling Stone cover article that accompanied NLOTH, Eno mentions that he thinks U2 is "bonkers" to leave a song called "Winter" off of the album. The writer of the article describes a lyric that goes "Listening to the silence, the deaf and dumb roar of white noise/Your voice," before the choral section kicks in. Neither version we have available end with that line.

this is the bridge isnt it?

the lyrics have changed, but it must be this section. likely replaced with "Listening to the cries/The strangers/The silence of the foreign grave"

Didn't we hear something about a third version in the making following the Brothers one?

Now that you mention it, does either version have a choral section? If this means, like, an actual choir, this could be epic.

Sorry, I might have been misleading. The article stated their was a choral chanting section, which I took to be the end of what we got from the Brothers version.

Didn't we hear something about a third version in the making following the Brothers one?

We did.
The interview was conducted on Tuesday. Earlier in the interview, Bono says Edge was working on an electronic version of "Winter" on Monday.
Source: U2 was in the studio this week

The first version was the one included in Linear.
The second version was the laid-back arrangement accompanying Brothers.
Then this third version, supposedly electronic in it's nature.

Hm. That interview was from December, 2009. I can honestly see the "electronic" version having morphed into the Brothers version.

That's the reference I was looking for, thanks guys. Back then I expected this new version of Winter would make it to SoA, I hope it still does appear, along with the rest of that album/concept :sad:.

A member from U2 had said this to Italian newspaper Il Giornale: "We are planning to release our next record as an application. Today, with laptops, iphone and ipad, music can go back to being a visual phenomenon."

If they were serious about this, could they have it all ready by November? Just a digital release and therefore no distribution through music stores. That would save a lot of time. Wishful thinking on my part, perhaps :hmm:

You may have something here. This could be why we aren't hearing anything yet; they're plotting their digital release strategy in time for the Australian tour. They could always release a CD version later, like in the spring.

I didn't say they did! God! You can be so illogical at times! The entirety of my point was that they have demonstrated that they certainly have enough material for an album! :banghead:

We all fully understand by now that if U2 ever do put Winter on an album you will discipline then severely!

Now please, I don't feel like getting u2girl'ed today.....

Of course they have enough material for an album...no one said otherwise. :huh:

The debate is whether Winter or Soon would make the cut. There has been no evidence yet to suggest otherwise (a single, almost a full year old passing mention of Edge working on an electronic version is a little weak for that), and the official release for the both of them speaks against this ("I can't listen to it on my Ipod or in my car, not everyone owns a turntable" talk not disproving the fact). :shrug:

Of course they have enough material for an album...no one said otherwise. :huh:

The debate is whether Winter or Soon would make the cut. There has been no evidence yet to suggest otherwise (a single, almost a full year old passing mention of Edge working on an electronic version is a little weak for that), and the official release for the both of them speaks against this ("I can't listen to it on my Ipod or in my car, not everyone owns a turntable" talk not disproving the fact). :shrug:

I would have to say that neither Winter nor Soon will be on the new album, or any others. They have already been released and U2 tend to do that when they feel the songs will not fit on an album. You won't see thos songs again on any of their album.

Very interesting! I wish they'd think of a cooler name than that, but if i get to hear new u2 songs before christmas, i won't really give a fuck about the name!

hope it isnt just live versions though. I want studio!

Oh bugger that's a good point... i've already heard all the bootlegs of all the performances of Every Breaking Wave, now i want to hear the proper version!

What if they have all the new songs, with studio AND live versions? :ohmy:

What would be the depressingly realistic likelihood for this cd? that its a fake? Or maybe doesn't include the new songs? :crack:

If its what we think it is.... I bet there aren't any songs we haven't heard before. I would expect some would be studio versions and some live, but I bet they stick to the tracks we have.

It would be cool if there was a new live version of Bad on there, for continuity's sake, wouldn't it? :)

political-pictures-stephen-colbert-epic-win2.jpg

Is interscope still the distributor anywhere? It says it is on Interscope?

There is a catalogue number though, where's Earnie Shavers when you need him!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom