Quasi-Baseless Speculation About New Material, Continued 'Wide Awake in Europe' etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's assy of me to say but... I told you so.

Seriously guys, this is U2. Do we seriously expect an album soon? I won't believe a date ealier than next holiday season unless I hear it from an extremely reliable source, and I don't mean the band.

Are some of you just holding on to the illogical date of holiday season 2012 because you said so earlier and you don't want to change?

Can someone explain the logic of the holiday 2012 release? Do you honestly think U2 will expand the tour into 2013?

Holiday 2012? I thought we were talking about Holiday 2011?
Yeah, I've never heard anyone mention 2012 before. Besides, I think U2's marketing department is smart enough to realize that the impending apocalypse would be enough to overshadow a new U2 album.

BREAKING NEWS

"Boy Falls from the Sky" and other new song(s)* to be included in new "Best of 2000 - 2010"

release date 11-8-10

:wink:

:sexywink:
If they actually use any of the new songs on a Best Of compilation, I am going to be angry. They're all too high-quality for that...

I know it's assy of me to say but... I told you so.
Replace "assy" with "premature" and I think we might be getting somewhere.

BREAKING NEWS

"Boy Falls from the Sky" and other new song(s)* to be included in new "Best of 2000 - 2010"

release date 11-8-10

:wink:

:sexywink:

I can see this happening. What better incentive to get us to buy another compilation that to have not only BFFTS on it, but also some, if not all, of the other new songs from the tour? That'll be for keeping us occupied while they take forever to make an actual album. :crack: :| :gah:

Either we get an album next Oct/Nov/Dec with songs that they've been playing on tour (maybe they debut more new songs down under, and then more for US), or we will have another 3-4 years before the next album.

I can't see U2 releasing an album without a tour. There's no money to be made, and i'm not trying to imply that's all they care about....but it's how the band (or any band) makes money.

bono210.jpg

How is a passionate love affair with a donut out of the question for this man?
I think a hamburger makes more sense.

Either we get an album next Oct/Nov/Dec with songs that they've been playing on tour (maybe they debut more new songs down under, and then more for US), or we will have another 3-4 years before the next album.

I can't see U2 releasing an album without a tour. There's no money to be made, and i'm not trying to imply that's all they care about....but it's how the band (or any band) makes money.

this.

even more than this, i don't really see a late 2011 release because even though it's been rumored i don't really think they'll be touring into 2012.

without a tour, i can only see a greatest hits release. hey, 2000-2010! with a platinum outline around, um, how about a heart this time?

I can see this happening. What better incentive to get us to buy another compilation that to have not only BFFTS on it, but also some, if not all, of the other new songs from the tour? That'll be for keeping us occupied while they take forever to make an actual album. :crack: :| :gah:

Yeah i was only halfway serious with that, however, i suppose it could happen.

For the heck of it, since this is all baseless speculation anyway, here is a made up "tracklisting"

First disc could basically be the typical best of "hits" or well-known songs including two new songs. The new radio single for this compilation would be "Boy Falls From the Sky" hence the previous twitter comments ("its all about spidey"). And if so warranted, to be followed by Mercy in the early spring. Both would sound great in US stadiums next summer...

Second Disc would basically be "Songs of Ascent" + a couple of remixes & a live MOS

DISC ONE

1. Elevation (tomb raider mix)
2. Boy Falls from the Sky *new song*
3. Vertigo
4. Magnificent (album version)
5. In a Little While
6. City of Blinding Lights
7. Get On Your Boots
8. Sometimes You Can't Make it on your own
9. Kite
10. Miracle Drug
11. Original of the Species
12. Walk On (single edit)
13. Moment of Surrender
14. Mercy *new song*
15. No Line On the Horizon

DISC TWO

1. Return of the Stingray Guitar
2. Glastonbury
3. NLOTH II
4. Every Breaking Wave
4. North Star
5. Soon
6. Winter (linear)
7. If I Could Live My Life Again
8. Lead Me in the Way I Should Go
9. Pilgrims Lack of Progress
10. Ill Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Live 360 Remix)
11. Magnificent (Fred Falke Full Club Mix)
12. Moment of Surrender (Live from the Rose Bowl)

obviously, once again, just baseless speculation. All the more reason for U2 to actually give us a new album (or even an EP) this year, because its really hard to come up with material for this *potential* "best of" when there's only 3 albums' worth of material.

True. But does anyone know the actual details of their last recording contract? As in, not just money, but # of albums over X number of years? Just curious...

True. But does anyone know the actual details of their last recording contract? As in, not just money, but # of albums over X number of years? Just curious...

I remember back in 1998 they signed a deal for three best of compilations. Later that year Best of 1980-1990 came out, followed in 2002 by the 1990-2000. I always thought there'd be a 2000-2010, but I felt that when U2:18 Singles came out, it was something like a contract fulfiller. It makes little sense otherwise, and has surely sold not nearly as well as the other two.

Having said that, things could have changed since 1998.

U2:18 wreaked of wrapping up a contract. Totally unnecessary, totally out of step with what seemed to be a pretty straight forward compilation plan (by decade, for now). That sort of thing - a hashed together Greatest Hits - is often about finishing commitments. Sometimes the band really has no say in it either (although unlikely in this case, seeing as it all still fell under the Universal umbrella). I'd say it probably had something to do with their switch from Island to Mercury, and little else.

I doubt U2 is held to an 'x albums over x years' kind of contract any more, in all honesty they really don't need Universal music.

Yeah i was only halfway serious with that, however, i suppose it could happen.

For the heck of it, since this is all baseless speculation anyway, here is a made up "tracklisting"

First disc could basically be the typical best of "hits" or well-known songs including two new songs. The new radio single for this compilation would be "Boy Falls From the Sky" hence the previous twitter comments ("its all about spidey"). And if so warranted, to be followed by Mercy in the early spring. Both would sound great in US stadiums next summer...

Second Disc would basically be "Songs of Ascent" + a couple of remixes & a live MOS

DISC ONE

1. Elevation (tomb raider mix)
2. Boy Falls from the Sky *new song*
3. Vertigo
4. Magnificent (album version)
5. In a Little While
6. City of Blinding Lights
7. Get On Your Boots
8. Sometimes You Can't Make it on your own
9. Kite
10. Miracle Drug
11. Original of the Species
12. Walk On (single edit)
13. Moment of Surrender
14. Mercy *new song*
15. No Line On the Horizon

DISC TWO

1. Return of the Stingray Guitar
2. Glastonbury
3. NLOTH II
4. Every Breaking Wave
4. North Star
5. Soon
6. Winter (linear)
7. If I Could Live My Life Again
8. Lead Me in the Way I Should Go
9. Pilgrims Lack of Progress
10. Ill Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Live 360 Remix)
11. Magnificent (Fred Falke Full Club Mix)
12. Moment of Surrender (Live from the Rose Bowl)

obviously, once again, just baseless speculation. All the more reason for U2 to actually give us a new album (or even an EP) this year, because its really hard to come up with material for this *potential* "best of" when there's only 3 albums' worth of material.

Stuck in a Moment would be on there somewhere as well as Beautiful Day

I remember back in 1998 they signed a deal for three best of compilations. Later that year Best of 1980-1990 came out, followed in 2002 by the 1990-2000. I always thought there'd be a 2000-2010, but I felt that when U2:18 Singles came out, it was something like a contract fulfiller. It makes little sense otherwise, and has surely sold not nearly as well as the other two.

Having said that, things could have changed since 1998.

i see, my post was mostly based on the thought that they might be still under some sort of contract but it sounds as though they'd wrapped that up.

I think my scenario could have been possible if it weren't for U218, wow, has that really been 4 years ago now? Given that, any future "best of's" seem like they would probably not be decade specific anymore and be more of u218 style release. Unless they waited until 2020 and release "Best of 2010-2020" and include NLOTH material on that.

Having said all of that, i guess im in the camp that believes they need to release something (album, EP) prior to the next leg of this tour. If only for the reason that NLOTH is old news and it would be nice to have new material in the shops and on the radio. And also it makes no sense to release a new album after the tour is over, unless this 360 thing is just never going to end.

they should do a Best of 1978-1980 and call it U2:3. Yeah, that would be great.

then we should get back to reality. such as discuss the speculation and hearsay about the new album.

i think they are in vancouver right now.

honestly, i could see them doing a "No Security" rolling stones type of thing... where they release a live compilation album of songs from the 360 tour and include the new tracks that they've been debuting on this past leg. oooh, they can even put "Sunday Bloody Sunday f/ Jay-Z - live from Sydney, Australita" on the album so that they can be hip with the kids.

actually, yea... this concept kinda makes the most sense now doesn't it?

All these ideas kind of make sense if they just had a couple of new songs, but they've played an unprecedented number of new tracks and had talk of maybe 4 albums worth of stuff, not to mention the fact that one of these might be the (nearly?) finished SOA.

Even when you factor in the usual Bono-bs factor, that's still a lot of new music, much more than a couple of filler tracks in a compilation. The worry is that they either over-think/produce it or simply shelve some of it and move on.

honestly, i could see them doing a "No Security" rolling stones type of thing... where they release a live compilation album of songs from the 360 tour and include the new tracks that they've been debuting on this past leg. oooh, they can even put "Sunday Bloody Sunday f/ Jay-Z - live from Sydney, Australita" on the album so that they can be hip with the kids.

actually, yea... this concept kinda makes the most sense now doesn't it?

You mean the "Rattle&Hum thing," right? R&H did come first....

Do we really know if they have a ton of material? I remember Adam stating about Bono's SOA talk that when B-man hears two notes together, he thinks it's a song. Adam only hears two notes and for him to hear a song, there needs to be more structure.

Could it be that Bono has a ton of ideas that eventually could turn into songs......and U2 really has nothing ready to go????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom