Q Magazine: 10 Tours That Changed History

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Typed this out.. Enjoy!

"10 Tours That Changed Music.. Q salutes the tours that really mattered"
-Q Magazine, March 2002

Beatles: 1966 World Tour
LL Cool Jay: DefJame Tour
Nirvana: SUb Pop tour
Madonna: Blond Ambition
Family Values Tour featuring Korn, LImp Bizkit,
Rammstein, Ice Cube, Orgy
The Rolling Stones: 1972 North American Tour
Rollercoaster Tour featuring THe Jesus and Mary Chain,
Blur, Dinosaur Jr, My Blood Valentine
Sex Pistols: Anarchy Tour
Bob Dylan: The Rolling Thunder Revue
U2: Elevation

On the evening of 24 March 2001, a bunch of nondescript guys ambled onto the stage of the National Car Rental Center, near Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. The house lights were still on, as the rock'n'roll ceremony was effectively knocked out of kilter. This wasn't, as it first seemed, four members of the road crew walking onstage for some extra adjustments before show time. It was U2 at the start of an epochal tour, messing with decorum, starting the job at a workaday pitch.

The band had actually rehearsed this move ahead of their Elevation Tour debut. There was humility in the gesture, but also a deal of arrogance. Big rock bands were a rarity, and the surviving ones weren't full of confidence. But U2 had signaled their fresh intent on the album aTYCLB. Their music and their media encounters were perpetually on-message. In the face of cynicism, torpor and confusion, these people were exceedingly high on hope.

The mission statement, articulated by show designer Willie Williams, was Forward To Basics. In part, it was a reaction to the PopMart Tour which had copped so much bad publicity in 1997. That had been under-rehearsed and over conceptualized, hurled onto the stadium circuit off the back of an album that hadn't been finished to the band's satisfaction. In contrast, Elevation was a controlled process, flagged up by a series of wham-bam club shows in Paris, NY, and London, while U2 were being lauded at the Brits and the Grammys.

Irony was largely absent, as Bono explained just ahead of the tour: "Now the real challenge is to turn up without a mask. And I must tell you, it's not as easy to take the shades off as I thought it would be." Interestingly, The Fly, a one-time tour de force, didn't initially function in this new regime, though there was some compensation from Stay, which reinvented itself as a lovely acoustic ballad.

The first third of the Elevation show was monochrome. As an encore, the band developed a routine around BTBS, beaming film of Charlton Heston, making his case for the gun lobby, onto a backdrop. This lead to somescattershot images of arms abuse around the world as Bono acted out the aprt of Mark Chapman, outside the Dakota Building, fixing to finish John Lennon.

The heart-shaped ramp at the front of the stage was hollowed out at Adam Clayton's suggestion, allowing the keenest
of fans a special vantage point. This encouraged a community of fervent followers to take up residency at every show-
the Zootopians, who maintained a surreal discourse with Bono, second-guessing his actions and forcing him to keep his
style loose and varied.

However, the new U2 songs demanded to be sung straight. Stuck was for Michael Hutchence and, belatedly, Paula
Yates. IALW, once a hangover lyric, became an adieu to JR - the last song that the singer had heard before he died.
POE name-checked victims of the Omagh bombing. Most importantly, Kite grew into a deeply affecting conversation between Bono, his ailing dad and his own children. The blackest of jokes in the U2 camp was that maybe they should start a new movement, Drop The Death.

As the tour progressed, the celebrity guest list became increasingly diverse. Michael Stipe and Robbie Williams were spotted checking out the competition in Atlanta and Anaheim respectively. But it was Dennis Hoper, Meg Ryan, Neil Diamond and Queen Noor of Jordan that boosted the celeb count on the last three nights at the Pond in Anaheim. Meanwhile, in NY, Tiger Woods and Christy Turlington were among those rubbing shoulders for the second show at MSG.

Taking a break in August, the band embarked on a whirlwind party: flying from Barcelona to Ibiza at 1am to celebrate Edge's 40th birthday, before traveling to the UK the following day.

On a more serious note, Bono was still busily plugging Third World debt relief on behalf of Jubilee 2000 He met with frustrating circumstances at the G8 Summit in Genoa and genned up on the Global AIDS Alliance.

Bob, Bono's father, died on 21 August. That night's Earl's Court show went ahead, as Bono grieved before his public. Then he brought it home to Slane castle in Ireland four days later- out doors with 80,000 empathetic souls. During One, Bob Hewson's image was beamed onto the screens, while his son mused over the words to When Will I see You Again. At the same venue the following week, U2 celebrated the Republic of Ireland's football victory over Holland. This remarkable change of tone marked the end of Elevation's European leg.

They returned to America after 11 Sept. and built towards a three-night residency at MSG, NY. The bands' most malleable song, One, was now accompanied by the names of the city's recent dead, projected on the walls and roof. Elevation's benidictory track, WO, took on a new import here, and a number of the city's firemen were invited to pace around the ramp. Dozens of big name acts were calling off tours, but U2 kept on, and will doubtless hold the long-term affections of many Americans as a result.

Sure, this was ammunition for the U2 detractors, who saw this sincere stuff as a return to earnest '80s mullethood and concluded that the band had merely been slumming in an ambivalent, arty world for a decade. Bono countered that they'd actually grown up, dealing with those doubts and hesitations en route, and were therefore more defined because of the trip.

"This tour," he argued, "feels like the completion of what we are as a group. The band has a mannish quality that you wouldn't fuck with, you know?"

It was their most successful campaign since the The Joshua Tree tour. Back in 1987, U2 were experiencing the G-force of intense fame and, consequently, their recollections were blurred. Hence the extra sweetness of the Elevation revue, with those same old schoolfriends locking into a fine, compassionate groove, clearing savoring the details.

"It's much more interesting when rock-n-roll breaks out of the box, its head filled with big ideas," bono mused during the European leg. "Some of them are nonsense and some are fun, and some are powerful, world-changing ideas like, say, Jubilee 2000. I just felt, right now, we're *it*. I dunno about last week, maybe not the week before, but right now, we're it."

It was the highest-grossing tour of 2001, taking almost 100 million (pounds) in business. The critics mostly liked it, while many of the band's peers watched with envy. Before Elevation, there was a sense that the big rock tour was an exhausted art form. But U2 came through with a revival show that worked in spite of all those received forebodings.

At the time of writing, there is a suggestion that the tour will continue, possibly back into Europe. In the throes of such uncommon times, nobody wants to hit the descend button just yet.

------------------
Eyes in a moon of blindness

* U2 Take Me Higher *
The Macphisto Society

[This message has been edited by oliveu2cm (edited 03-17-2002).]

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
great, now where's Zoo TV?

my thoughts exactly... as far as i can tell ZooTV is more groundbreaking and history-changing than Elevation. It totally hadn't been done before. Elevation was amazing and very impressive no doubt.. but who can expect them to put 2 tours from one band on the list

In case anyone is curious, as of March 22, 2001 U2 had a totally different entrance planned for the Elevation Tour that was really kind of cool. I have a rehearsal video that shows they had a lot of cool stuff planned for this tour. They had a TON of visuals planned for the songs using the wide screen TV onstage. Reminded me a lot of the ZooTV stuff actually. I thought their entrance with the house lights on was awesome anyway. Just thought I would share that.

------------------
I hit an iceberg in my life
You know I'm still afloat
You lose your balance, lose your wife
In the queue for the lifeboat

--New York

[This message has been edited by Jayhawk (edited 03-17-2002).]

Originally posted by Jayhawk:
In case anyone is curious, as of March 22, 2001 U2 had a totally different entrance planned for the Elevation Tour that was really kind of cool. I have a rehearsal video that shows they had a lot of cool stuff planned for this tour. They had a TON of visuals planned for the songs using the wide screen TV onstage. Reminded me a lot of the ZooTV stuff actually. I thought their entrance with the house lights on was awesome anyway. Just thought I would share that.

Really? Can you possibly share some more details??? Please??

Oddly enough I agree with the comments about ZooTV though it's not my favourite U2 era and I did not see it. Given a choice, I would far, far rather have seen ZooTV than Popmart. I really don't get why so many U2 fans spend so much time raving about Popmart in comparison to ZooTV (maybe because quite a lot of the online fans became fans since ZooTV and around the time of Popmart?) which strikes me as a far more interesting concept.

At the same time, it irritates me a little when people suggest that U2 was the first band to do a tour with a huge concept, or something like that. Pink Floyd? Other prog rock bands? The most conceptual rock show I have ever seen was actually Queensryche's Promised Land tour in 1995. But ZooTV was indeed different in terms of what it was depicting and how it was done, I think. Though having read quite a lot about it, much of it I wouldn't have particularly liked or agreed with, I think.

Just a point I wanted to add--Bono somewhere said something about using footage from Triumph of the Will, that he wanted U2 to be the first band to show the similarities between rock concerts and Nazi rallies--ha ha. I'm afraid they weren't, either. Pink Floyd's The Wall?

I loved the Elevation tour very much, I saw U2 on it for the first and only time so far, and it was a perfect concert and concept for a first timer who has also been a fan for several years and really prefers their "classic" material (and also has a fairly recent great admiration for Achtung Baby). But I don't know that it was particularly "important" as far as being groundbreaking or whatever--except the heart, maybe. In other ways, sure.

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

I thought kiss would be on that list to. They started the fireworks in a liveshow ( and the 3D effect on a screen )

i want to complain about this list too.
but not about U2.

they should replace the nirvana sub pop tour with the 1991 mini tour that had nirvana, pearl jam, red hot chili peppers and smashing pumpkins.

now that was ground breaking because we all know what happened to the alternative scene in the fall of 91.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Jayhawk!! Any chance of getting a copy of that rehearsal video? E-mail me, please...have stuff to trade!
smile.gif

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

I am certainly no expert on this, but I think ZOO TV was the most innovative of all world tours.The use of TV screen parallel to the artist perfomance was quite genre breaking.I dont know what criteria these magazines use, but ZOO TV and POPmart should have been there in this list, for the simple fact that they changed the things, the way they have been for years.

0.02 Australian Cents

------------------
In this Ozland

[This message has been edited by ishkash (edited 03-18-2002).]

Originally posted by ishkash:
I am certainly no expert on this, but I think ZOO TV was the most innovative of all world tours.The use of TV screen parallel to the artist perfomance was quite genre breaking.I dont know what criteria these magazines use, but ZOO TV and POPmart should have been there in this list, for the simple fact that they changed the things, the way they have been for years.

0.02 Australian Cents

I totally agree with you about ZooTV.

The only reason I think Elevation was given such a heavy nod is because of its new "back to basics, stripped down" format which I *think* other bands are/will be adopting in order to have a better connection with their audience. In that way, it is groundbreaking and was of course incredible successful.

same could be said about Zoo in a different light. If this article had been written a year ago, chances are you'd see Zoo on there.

------------------
Eyes in a moon of blindness

* U2 Take Me Higher *
The Macphisto Society

That's really great, thanks for the info Olive!
smile.gif

Though... uh... yeah, where's Zoo Tv?

------------------
"I have a dragon, and I know how to use it. I'm a donkey on the edge!" -Shrek

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

Originally posted by Angell:
Jayhawk!! Any chance of getting a copy of that rehearsal video? E-mail me, please...have stuff to trade!
smile.gif

About the previously planned entrance...Okay, imagine the arena being completely dark, then the Elevation intro starts and lights that aren't that bright start swirling all around the stage. Very slowly the the wide-screen TV starts to raise up and you can tell it's showing kind of a static picture...slowly you can see the outline of the 4 band members in front of the screen...they are equally spaced along the back of the stage and the wide-screen goes to it's maximum height. You see the black outline of the band against the screen for about 15 seconds then one by one they go their "stage area" and kick into Elevation.

They had a TON of visuals planned for every song using the wide-screen but they obviously passed on that idea. I would love to know when the change of plans happened because the shock value of seeing them enter the arena for that first show is awesome on the DVD. I really loved the entrance they used for the whole tour to be honest.

very cool!, but i too would have voted ZooTv...

------------------
' I want to run
I want to hide
I want to tear down the walls
That hold me inside
I want to reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name. . .'
.:. U2: Rock's Unbreakable Heart!

Love is...cold steel/Fingers too numb to feel/Squeeze the handle/Blow out the candle
Love is blindness.../A little death/Without mourning/No call/And no warning...

[Thanks Coach P]

I think the writers at Q are on crack. Not only was ZooTV a better show than Elevation, it was, as the heading says, more of a 'tour that changed history'. Don't get me wrong, I loved Elevation. I went to a half dozen shows and had more fun than I'd ever had in my life. But I don't know how they can say that Elevation changed history when it only ended a few months ago. I just think we need to see what other bands - and U2 - do next before we can get proper perspective of the Elevation tour.

------------------
I miss the innocence I've known
Playin' KISS covers beautiful and stoned

Oh yeah why did they leave off lollapolooza??

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by david:
they should replace the nirvana sub pop tour with the 1991 mini tour that had nirvana, pearl jam, red hot chili peppers and smashing pumpkins.
I agree

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I was there and I am not on "Zootopia", a crap forum, IMHO. Zootopians are a wonderful bunch of fans, a mini splinter of a much fractured U2 nation, under one banner of jacket lining. No pun intended.

oh, oakland luvs NY

just goes to show how ridiculous these magazines are...

no ZOO TV? no POPMART? no Stones Steel Wheels, no PINK FLOYD??? no Grateful Dead?

that list is about as accurate as, well, it's just not accurate dammit!!!

Originally posted by candyfloss:
I think the writers at Q are on crack. Not only was ZooTV a better show than Elevation, it was, as the heading says, more of a 'tour that changed history'.

I don't know if I'd necessarily call ZooTV a flat out better show than Elevation (that's a matter of personal preference - U2 was on top of their game in both tours), but I have to agree that as far as tours that changed history, Elevation doesn't have anywhere near the impact that ZooTV had.

Also, LL Cool J, Family Values and Blur?? WTF? Pink Floyd needs to be up there in place of at least one of these.

I find it funny and a bit disturbing that LL Cool J, of all people, is on a list of "tours that really mattered."

actually if they're talking about the 1986 ll cool j def jam tour, then it does deserve to be in that list. that i think featured the beastie boys, and was important because that year was the year rap sort of broke out into the mainstream. and def jam helped tremendously.

------------------

Originally posted by Diemen:
I don't know if I'd necessarily call ZooTV a flat out better show than Elevation (that's a matter of personal preference - U2 was on top of their game in both tours), but I have to agree that as far as tours that changed history, Elevation doesn't have anywhere near the impact that ZooTV had.

I strongly disagree.

ZOO TV was sensational. It really was a melding of video and audio worlds with the technology available at the time.

The trouble is, it wasn't novel. Similar tours had been done by Pink Floyd and the Talking Heads. Also, it was almost a sensory overload. What to watch or listen to? The music? Bono's characters? The TV's? As we will all agree, "Achtung Baby" is a brilliant album. ZOO TV did not showcase that brilliance (with a few exceptions - notably "Mysterious Ways"), it detracted from it. In a way, the ZOO TV tour took away from AB.

Also, at that time, rock music was thriving. U2 succeeded because they were rock, because they had a strong following from the JT era and because they didn't sound like all the grunge bands at that time. However, if U2 didn't tour then, the impact would have been minimal. Rock music didn't "need" U2.

Leap to 2001. Suddenly rock music (or, if you prefer, pop-rock music) is almost non-existent on the charts. Many tours are suffering, with even the bubblegum bands having difficulty selling out every night. U2 comes along with a brilliant rock (pop-rock) album. However, was just making a strong rock (pop-rock) album enough? I think the tour truly helped ATYCLB as much as ATYCLB inspired the tour.

The Elevation tour took tidbits from all of U2's tours. It took the heart and angst from the JT era but combined it with the technology of the ZOO TV era along with the concept of interesting stage designs from the PopMart era. And it all clicks! The tour did not take away from the music on ATYCLB - it made it FAR more powerful. The Elevation Tour really made ATYCLB shine. While the concept of fans in a "pit" area wasn't novel, the concept of a heart shaped stage with general admission tickets was.

The Elevation tour had people WANTING to see music again. It allowed people to reconnect with an artist - something that hasn't happened in ages. It had an intimacy that was lacking in not just recent U2's tours, but ALL tours, for years. We could see close-up, even touch, U2 - they were right in front of us. We could see their joy and pain. This wasn't a Bono just "preaching down" to us as he did with JT or mocking us as he did with ZOO TV - this was a Bono *sharing* with us.

This is why I think the Elevation tour stands out more than ZOO TV. ZOO TV was a brilliant spectacle - but that's also its weakness, it was a spectacle. Elevation allowed the fans to bond with the music and the band in a way that hasn't been seen in years. Elevation made people interested in concerts again - people that might not have seen a concert in years. And Elevation really made U2's music shine. This is why it is on Q's list.

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 03-26-2002).]

Originally posted by doctorwho:
Also, it was almost a sensory overload. What to watch or listen to? The music? Bono's characters? The TV's?

Isn't that exactly one of the main things ZOO
TV is about. It was a multimedia spectacle, a total overload, much more than just a rock concert. Yes it distracted, but that also attracted, the distraction caused the attraction. It was caricature of modern zap-culture...
It was about the zapping, the distraction and the overload, and that, much more than just the use of visuals (The Byrds already did that) was the novelty. Zapping as a metaphor/a rock show as a mirror of society

------------------
Vorsprung durch Technik

Originally posted by Vorsprung:
Isn't that exactly one of the main things ZOO
TV is about. It was a multimedia spectacle, a total overload, much more than just a rock concert. Yes it distracted, but that also attracted, the distraction caused the attraction. It was caricature of modern zap-culture...
It was about the zapping, the distraction and the overload, and that, much more than just the use of visuals (The Byrds already did that) was the novelty. Zapping as a metaphor/a rock show as a mirror of society

Yes - I agree with all of the above. But reread my last paragraph from my previous post. All of the above is EXACTLY what made ZOO TV also weak - it was a virtual vomitorium of visual/audio stimulation. In contrast, Elevation put the focus on U2, the music and perhaps most importantly - the connection between the fans and the band. This is why it is a slightly superior tour.

Back
Top Bottom