PUTTING ONE'S LIFE INTO ONE U2 SONG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great post Chris (as usual)!

I'd have to say that for me it is Bad. That has always been there playing in the soundtrack of my life.

If I could, you know I would
If I could, I would
Let it go...

This desperation
Dislocation
Separation
Condemnation
Revelation
In temptation
Isolation
Desolation
Let it go

One Leg 1 Bono often said something about "ordinary addictions" when they played this song. My life has been full of ordinary and not so ordinary addicitons one after the other. And I could, I would, let it go.

I'd have to say that it changes alot but I've always identified with "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" and "Bad"

Currently though, I'm Stuck in a Moment that I can't get out of...really...
smile.gif

------------------
"Midnight is where the day begins..."

One. "We're one but we're not the same, we get to carry each other."

right now though, my life is pretty much summed up by Stuck and Walk On.

OK, since I found this an incredibly difficult question to answer, I've rearranged the question a bit, to songs that I feel i have truly lived, or even one lyric.

WOWY: "Nothing to win, nothing left to lose"
This leaves such a strong taste in my mouth- it's such an incredible image, that feeling of complete desperation. painful, really.

Streets: "I wanna dance dance dance in the dirty rain!"
The first time I heard Bono sing this lyric (change) in Boston I just about died. It touched me very deeply- the idea to be able to dance in the dirty rain, and he sang it with so much joy and celebration, that little phrase made me so thankful for everything in my life, and made me want to celebrate even the 'dirty rain' stuff. He opened my eyes in that phrase.

RTSS: "you gotta talk without speaking, cry without weaping, scream without raising your voice" talk about being trapped, being on a treadmill to nowhere... amazing song.

Stay: "Stay, and the night would be enough..."

Zooropa: "you got the right shoes to getchya through the night" The fact that Bono sings to a woman here (get your head out of the mud baby) really touched me, as well as the message of 'you can do it' sort of thing.

Dirty Day: "You can't even remember what I'm trying to forget" ouch!

Okay I realize I've completely rambled out here, so I'll sum it all up by saying nothing beats Bad for me. Nothing. Best song ever made, rocks my soul, rocks my soul.

------------------
Bono: There is a bit of my guitar playing, but honestly it's sad.
Larry: It is. But Bono looks great with it.

Take my shirt, go on take it off me
You can tear it up If you can tie me down

* U2 Take Me Higher *

Playboy Mansion. I'm just a sardonic kind of guy.

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

WOWY defines a three year plus relationship. It would be me that is giving myself away...
WGRYWH Love, love,love this song. I think I have played both parts at one time.
Stay Because this song is beautiful. A vampire or a victim
It depends on who's around...

"Hawkmoon 269" and "Gone"

Hawkmoon's intensity and lyrical depth just fit me like a glove.

Gone also fits me for the same two reasons.

Those two songs just speak to me. It is not always easy to explain exactly why a song sounds like it was written for you, but you feel it when you hear it.

AJ

some day's are better than others.

over 22 years i have proved that repeatedly.

------------------
against smileys

"Slug" ... don't laugh.

~Zoo~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

Tell me I'm crazy, but I saw this post this morning and actually put some thought into it while I was driving to work. After I stopped thinking about what's the song for me at the moment, and really looked at my whole LIFE, it was a no brainer.

Gone
Last Night On Earth
One
When I Look At the World

Why? that's a five page post. But those reflect my life, and how I deal with it, and what I strive for.

love and lemons
dawn

*drumming fingers against temples* think think think

First of all, to oliveu2 --
Streets: "I wanna dance dance dance in the dirty rain!"
The first time I heard Bono sing this lyric (change) in Boston I just about died. It touched me very deeply- the idea to be able to dance in the dirty rain, and he sang it with so much joy and celebration, that little phrase made me so thankful for everything in my life, and made me want to celebrate even the 'dirty rain' stuff. He opened my eyes in that phrase.

Oh, yeah! You said it beautifully, and for posterity -- a little gem amongst many on the DVD.

all day I've been thinking on this question, because I didn't want my gut reaction to leave out any other important songs, you know? But I keep coming back to Bad.
I never phrased it thus before, but truly: Bad has always been their most powerful song to me, because it is what I wish my life to be...
If I could, through myself,
set your spirit free...

I measure the "success" of my life by the compassion and empathy in that song. It remains my beacon and my compass. (Only because we all know full well that they walk their talk.)
separation...
isolation
desolation
let it go...

In connection is Love; in separation is fear, and hate and violence (and addiction). Nothing has expressed my fundamental philosophy like Bad.

I can add Elevation, though, as the perfect expression of "praise and worship" to use the old-fashioned, churchy term -- if ever there was a song I might have written to my God (believe me, I've DONE the "excavation" part...), Elevation would be it. Especially with the live ending:
SOUL NATION!
JUBILATION!
SOUL NATION!
JUBILATION,
JUBILATION!

ach, do I love this band??

------------------
He set my feet upon a rock
made my footsteps firm

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

am i allowed to say Mofo? if not then i guess that fantastic brace of songs in the latter part of AB, ultraviolet and acrobat, could tell my tale
smile.gif

While driving to work this morning, I was listening to Bad from "Wide Awake in America" and "Live Aid". While looking skyward, the sun had turned a blood red before turning sun bright from the light haze in the sky, and I was again spellbound by this song that starts so brilliantly with its enduring, ringing guitar, its driving, mesmerizing beat, and lyrics that have been a salve to this heart that often wants to fly wayward.

Chris

------------------
"That's what's happening to U2 on tour in the United States at the moment - we're just a conduit for all this joy and hope and despair and it's all coming out - People say, 'Oh, Rock and Roll is great - just takes people's minds off of it' - No. That is not our job. Our job is to take people's minds through it." --Bono's take on the Elevation Tour since 9/11

[This message has been edited by spanisheyes (edited 12-13-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom