Punk rock on Venus vs. punk rock on Mars - Anyone know the difference?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
This is probably the dumbest post you'll ever see, I admit, but here's what Bono said about the new album in the Uncut Magazine article (which Dougal55 posted in the Bono & Underworld thread in EYIW):

"And it is otherworldly - it's kind of punk rock made on Venus rather than Mars."

And that's supposed to tell us what, exactly, you may ask? I love how Bono says so little by giving the impression he's saying so much! Very enduring quality, isn't it? The guy is the master of hype. I think I know what he's on about, but I'd like to hear your guesses...

if I'm not mistaken, Mars has a weaker gravitational pull than Venus. Thus, if one were to be making punk rock on Mars, it would be of the lighter, more atmospheric sort. Conversely, that made on Venus would undoubtedly be of a weightier nature.

it's very simple really...

Last edited:
Homerpalooza said:
Or he means it's punk rock with the testosterone turned down...
Homerpalooza wins the scooza!! First prize - the chance to buy a new U2 album in spring, 2004!

Of course, a valiant effort put in my Dorian Gray. There will be a different "gravitational" pull on this new record... and that goes both musically and thematically... at least, that's what I'd have to go with...

Last edited:
Chizip said:
so its womens music
No, no, no, oh young and impressionable one (joke)... It simply means it's not full out testosterone punk - but how much of U2's music is full out testosterone? I don't think I can think of one song that is, actually. Their music dabbles in every colour of the spectrum, every shade, every mood. If they released a punk album (not saying this is a punk album, by the way), then why expect that aspect of U2 to be any different than usual? Vulnerability is a big part of U2's music. In our society, that's more of a feminine trait... but it's something that U2 aren't afraid to embrace. Even Johnny Cash, the man who Bono said made everyone else look like a sissy, was always a vulnerable artist, always exposed himself in his work, always was in touch with his emotive side.

This album will be great.

Last edited:
Yes, that's right... I guess Bono is saying the head of the album is in the masculine space of punk rock, but it's symbolically being balanced by keeping its feet on the feminine ground which is Venus.

venus is a lot sexier...

thinking of U2 songs along those lines:

mysterious ways
lemon
until the end of the world
daddy's gonna pay...

and a whole bunch of ZooTV songs...

Here's an e-mail I just received from a musician/producer friend of mine. I didn't edit it at all...it's bustling with enthusiasm, and I didn't want to tarnish it in any way... Enjoy.

"its not punk in the normal sense cause Bono has way too much taste for that, and so does the rest of the band actually.. notice for one, Edge has been forced to go to Eleven, thats not very Edgy like, from what we've seen in the past, hes very melodic, he's driving it now, no longer cleaning the rear
view mirrors as it were... its gonna be loud, which is the reason i love U2, turn it up for crissakes, notice as well that they've departed from Danny and Eno, they build landscapes, but do so with the subtleness of the wind, U2 want to be the storm, or at least get it started... someones gotta bring back the Queen sound, somebody must want to muse with the amp like Hendrix,
its funny how Bono mentions blues like Muddy Waters, I think he should head south and listen to Robert Randolph play the blues, he plays a mean, and i mean MEAN!! electric pedal steel!!! amazing, really ripped my head off, you should check him out.. specially "soul refreshing" from 'unclasified'; really great stuff, so sorry Bono but there are new blues out there!!!
you just gotta put your ear to the ground, I thought it was funny that they are recording in hte french riviera... but i can understand, actually if you want to really turn it up, you wanna be in the quietest state you possibly can, and they have surrounded themselves with ZEN, which is what they need
the most of right now.. my prediction, its not ATYCLB, its Achtung
Doux...!!!! is that straight enough for you??

i do want to hear a new direction from them, bring back the drums, bass,guitar and some FUCKING SOUL!!! WE need it bad, and we need it now, but spring time will be perffect enough... i kinda thought they were hinting at it with atyclb; but decided almost sub-counsciously to test the waters first, you know?? like they knew this is what we needed but were afraid to ask, so they thought, kick down the gate, and see if anybody complains,
heay, we all need a pay-check dont we/??

in any case, its gonna be U2, and everybody will say, well yeah, its U2 what the fuck did you expect///??? its always them, and everybody always burns up the wire making predictions and it never sounds like they thought, but then again it always does!!! Bono has been travelling the globe talking policy, biting his lip; he's been force to talk their talk and walk their walk,
i'm sure he's got some frustrations to deal with , and the mic is always to listen to him!! eagerly, so its gonna be poetic, in your face; no holds barred, but with love, the way the boy is!!! we all love hime for that!!! so bring it on... piss us off and make us say ThANK yoU!!! but make us move, one thing is people always think of punk as dark and moody, but this is from Venus, so bring the ladies up, they wanna dance!!! they always did!!! so make'em dance!!! for crissakes!!! thats what that is, kill'em with love!!!
just do it and dont apologize for it...

now just cause most of teh people with half a brain in this forsaken world like the sound U2 make, does that really mean they toned it down???"

I just think it's funny when musicians try and act "tough" and "mean." Breaking into song is not the "manliest" of things to do. I want my truck and my blue jeans to be tough, not my music.

So are they making punk rock on Venus or on Mars? ;)

I think it means we'll hear energetic, fast paced songs - but melodic at the same time. And, softer moments won't be forgotten either. Probably darker lyrics - with such topics as 9/11 and death of Bono's father surely coming up.

Maybe Electrical storm feel (Edge said it was a hint where they're going to, only he'd like to work on "faster paced" material) meets Always feel (with all the talk about guitars and organic sounds, this comes to mind to me) feel meets MDH soundtrack feel (the gentler, mellower sound), with maybe some more soul sounds that were hinted with In a little while and Stuck in a moment.

:shrug: I could be wrong, though.

MrBrau1 said:
I just think it's funny when musicians try and act "tough" and "mean." Breaking into song is not the "manliest" of things to do. I want my truck and my blue jeans to be tough, not my music.
Exactly, MrBrau1, I completely agree with you. I was just giving Chiz a hard time. Music shouldn't be too macho, IMO. If it is, it starts to become almost funny (see Creed and Nickleback). As you say, to see "tough" guys suddnely break into song while still trying to maintain the "tough" act... it's really quite hysterical.

Michael Griffiths said:
No, no, no, oh young and impressionable one (joke)... It simply means it's not full out testosterone punk - but how much of U2's music is full out testosterone? I don't think I can think of one song that is, actually. Their music dabbles in every colour of the spectrum, every shade, every mood. If they released a punk album (not saying this is a punk album, by the way), then why expect that aspect of U2 to be any different than usual? Vulnerability is a big part of U2's music. In our society, that's more of a feminine trait... but it's something that U2 aren't afraid to embrace. Even Johnny Cash, the man who Bono said made everyone else look like a sissy, was always a vulnerable artist, always exposed himself in his work, always was in touch with his emotive side.

This album will be great.

:yes:. As always, I agree with you. :).

U2girl and MrBrau1 made some interesting insights, too, and I liked Dorian Gray's analogy. :D.

Originally posted by theSoulfulMofo
venus is a lot sexier...

thinking of U2 songs along those lines:

mysterious ways
lemon
until the end of the world
daddy's gonna pay...

and a whole bunch of ZooTV songs...

Yep, exactly.

That's one thing I love about U2-the way they write about women in their songs and talk about them-there's a real admiration and respect for them. I find that cool.

Angela

led zeppelin songs are sexy.hehehe.

most of their songs are about women and sex.

and they rock hard.

i actuall want a hard rock or a rock&roll album not a punk rock album. power chords anyone? same thing over and over again!

Back
Top Bottom