Punk rock from Venus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theoriginal

The Fly
Just a thought... When Bono described the HTDAAB as "punk rock from venus" could he have been using Venus to symbolize a feminine perspective? I think the phrase was and is generally understood as meaning punk rock from outer space (otherworldy, experimental, etc.) Knowing Bono's fondness for both words and women, could there be more to his statement than originally thought?

So I guess what I'm wondering is: Could Bono have just as easily said "punk rock from neptune" or did he pick Venus for a reason?

theoriginal said:
Just a thought... When Bono described the HTDAAB as "punk rock from venus" could he have been using Venus to symbolize a feminine perspective? I think the phrase was and is generally understood as meaning punk rock from outer space (otherworldy, experimental, etc.) Knowing Bono's fondness for both words and women, could there be more to his statement than originally thought?

So I guess what I'm wondering is: Could Bono have just as easily said "punk rock from neptune" or did he pick Venus for a reason?

Bono didn't describe HTDAAB as "punk rock from venus"....sorry.

You know, U2 could do an album of nursury rhyme covers and we'd probably debate the deeper meanings for several pages.

1stepcloser said:
I don't know what Venus has to do with it but there's one thing for sure, HTDAAB is not punk rock.

It was never described as such anyway...

I remember it being described that way, by Bono, while it was being recorded. Vertigo is very punk rock to me -- or at least as punk rock as anything off of Boy.

1stepcloser said:
I don't know what Venus has to do with it but there's one thing for sure, HTDAAB is not punk rock.
HTDAAB doesn't sound like ATYCLB AT ALL. Stop being so negative!

I thought categorization of music is done to help marketing companies. Why can't it just be good and bad. I still can't get the difference between heavy metal and hard rock, so much for a music from different planetary civilization :|

the tourist said:
I remember it being described that way, by Bono, while it was being recorded.

Yes, in the early sessions. 2003, possibly even late 2002 - the Thomas sessions.

Not a reference to the 2004 Bomb even if people might repeat it over and over.

But Vertigo, under another title, was mentioned that way. When it was called Full Metal Jacket and Native Son.

To answer the original question, yes, I believe Bono was referring to a feminine side of punk rock. Most punk is masculine, or at least seen as masculine. Bono was simply saying this is punk rock that isn't afraid to show its vulnerability. That's how I interpreted it anyway.

Aygo said:
And aside from Michael Griffiths, anyone else tried to answer the question.:|

No but why are you getting so upset? :p

I think everyone is fed up with Bono's empty promises and that's why nobody's interested in answering the question. ;)

Michael Griffiths said:
To answer the original question, yes, I believe Bono was referring to a feminine side of punk rock. Most punk is masculine, or at least seen as masculine. Bono was simply saying this is punk rock that isn't afraid to show its vulnerability. That's how I interpreted it anyway.

:bow: Michael Griffiths, I think you need to post in every thread so that there can be some bit of thoughtful discussion every now and then. The internet is serious business! :wink:

I agree that the Venus mention probably wasn't an accidental slip. U2 has long been known to have an appreciation for women (not that way, you dirty minds!).

As for the full quote, keep in mind that Bono has the Irish gift of gab and is prone to hyperbole anyway. With that in mind, I don't think it's thaaaat hard to imagine that there may have been an inkling of "punk rock from venus" in the early recording sessions for HTDAAB. Listen to the intros to ABOY, ABOY alternate version, Vertigo, Native Son, Mercy, Neon Lights---some pretty funky sounds there. Add to that the fact that the comment was made early in recording, and that they ultimately changed producers. I don't think it's that ridiculous. There was just a thread recently where Adam was quoted early in recording Pop & he said that they'd had a big sound at the moment without any technology added in. He did recognize that there may ultimately be some by the time the album was done. Bono just doesn't usually speak as cautiously as that, and people like to take his one-liner statements and hold him to it forever, even if the recording process may change or whatever. People also forget that everyone says that their current album is the best one to date. It's not like Radiohead comes out with a new album and say, "This is crap, but it's our new album, so here you go."

^^^ Utoo -- haha, thanks for the kind words. You're right, Bono has always spoken very highly of women, and has even said that he views God as a woman in many respects. There is a lot of femininity/sensuality intertwined with spirituality in U2's music. The examples are too numerous to mention, ranging from 'Mysterious Ways' to 'The First Time' to 'With or Without You'.... If punk rock is music to change the world, or the world within ("I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me"), then what better way to bring on the power of Venus to balance the violence of the current masculine world? 'Native Son' really fits into this idea for me...and 'Vertigo' and 'All Because of You' take it a step further. "Punk rock on venus" woudn't be your typical harder edged punk music....so I think the description fits.

Zootlesque said:

No but why are you getting so upset? :p

I think everyone is fed up with Bono's empty promises and that's why nobody's interested in answering the question. ;)

Calm down, Zoots!:cool: I'm not upset, I was just hoping for an answer too or an explication for that, I was curious and... nobody gave it:(

:hug:

Re: Re: Re: Punk rock from Venus?

JessicaAnn said:

That is dated 24.02.03.

That was probably a reference to the Thomas sessions.

Well before Lillywhite joined on board and as the band said, the album took a different direction. What people did, however, is apply that quote to the Bomb that came out in 2004. :yawn: I'm just waiting for the "but Bono said they were into hip hop!" crying when the new album comes out.

Last edited:
Surely everyone 'experienced' with U2 has given up reading anything into Bono's pre-album gesturing. When he does this he is playing the role of marketing manager for U2. What he says has nothing to do whatsoever with what they are doing in the studio but rather serves to drum up interest in it so as to fan the hype that naturally surrounds all U2 releases. These statements are meaningless.

Back
Top Bottom