Pulp-Common People, U2, Oasis, and a rant.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popkidu2

War Child
First off, the song Common People by Pulp is fucking brilliant! Listening to it made me think about music and what creates great music.

I don't know where "Different Class" fits in Pulp's order of albums. But the song Common People reminds me of a certain feeling that is expressed on Oasis's Definately Maybe, U2's Boy, Pearl Jam's Ten and probably scores of other debut albums.

There is a desperation that exists within all these albums. These people are playing for their lives. They don't know anything else, they don't want anything else. Oasis wanted to get the fuck out of poverty and Manchester. You can feel that in listening to DM. It's unscripted, raw, pure energy. Songs from debut albums are so perfect and pure in many respects even if they are rough around the edges. They capture an essence which a band can never ever capture again.

I think that's part of why so many bands never make it after the first album. They are one trick ponies. Once they leave that enviroment of having to play for their next meal, to get that record deal, something is lost.

Honestly, I don't know what the hell I'm saying here. It just got me thinking is all...

Comments?

I agree...those albums are all awesome. Pulp is pretty cool. Have they done anything new lately?

------------------
She not waiting on a saviour to come
She's at a bus stop with the news of the world and the sun sun here it comes
She's not waiting for anyone

they just released a new album

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Awesome!
smile.gif

Thanks Salome-you're always so helpful!

------------------
"I sometimes get the odd twinge that I wouldn't mind playing lead guitar, just like a couple of notes, but that's about as near as I would want to get to the front." -Larry

I love Pulp and Jarvis is the man, I think different class was about their 3rd or fourth album- they have been around for ages!!! and they are absolutely amazing live, I personally like the song 'sorted for ez and wizz' the best
smile.gif
and yeah Pulp have just put out a new album, cant remember the name of it but the first single from it is called 'Trees' and it is not too bad
smile.gif

Someday, (and I mean this honestly and without rancor) I would like someone to explain the great appeal of Oasis to me. I like bits and pieces of each of their albums so it's not as if I dislike them. But I don't understand the HYSTERIA about the band. I don't understand why they're one of the best selling bands in the history of Great Britian. I don't understand why many of their fans insist that they're the greatest thing since John and Paul decided to form a band together.
I've never had this problem with a band that is both critically and commercially revered. For instance, I'm not a big fan of Led Zep or the Eagles, in fact I downright dislike some of their material but I understand why they're so popular and critically respected. I get it. I just don't get it with Oasis. All the love and adoration and the desperate fawning over what sounds to my ears like a solid but unspectacular band...it's confusing. I'm American and apparently a lot of other Americans haven't warmed up to Oasis either but that doesn't explain it to me. There are plenty of British acts that haven't caught on in America that I adore.
But Oasis? And what's with all the excitement about the sibling rivalry in the band??? A taped argument between Liam and Noel really charted in England? Does anyone else think this is peculiar? Liam is a fine singer but he's not the end all-be all. Or is he? If you're British can you actually understand what Liam is going on about? Is he really as stupid as he sounds or am I gravely mistaken? What am I missing?

MAP

I agree. There is usually something about many bands' debut album. They always seem to have more energy and the "us against the world" mentality in that first one. Maybe it's because most bands don't have deadlines for their first albums. Once that first one is out, the labels probably want new releases on a regular basis. Many times, the band will have as much time as they want to release that first one, and the songs on them have probably been written and practiced for a few years before the album's release. The band is able to "weed out" the weaker songs, something they may not be able to do under time constraints.

I think Pulp's new album is called "We Love Life". My brother's a big fan.

As for Oasis, I think they're worthy of their hype. Even though I'm from Canada, I think they were able to change music for the better. Their first two albums really seemed to affect the musical landscape in the UK, and they have some degree of influence on many other bands around the world. Their albums since "What's the Story..." haven't been great, but are still quite good. I love their music and their "antics". Remember, there's no such thing as bad publicity...

------------------
"We are the biggest little cult band in the world." - Larry (1997)

Hey man, we make our music the way we wanna. Ain't no dumb kids gonna tell us the right way or wrong way to do it. If you like it, well we done a good job and the merry old world can spin the way it always fookin does. If not, oh well looks like these little buggers have taken over and are gonna have our arses kicked cos they don't appreciate us. Well we tell it straight. None of that pansy shit music people wanna hear. If people get their feelings hurt by our rock n roll, thats life. It's not about you, not about what the kiddies like. Grown up rock music, man. Yeah we fight, so the hell what? People are gonna get pissed when I proclaim myself the unquestioned master of my fookin band, but thats what I am. No fookin compromises, man. Got it? No? See if I give a shit. We changed music, and made a ruckus bout it. And that's all.

------------------
Reporter: Can you sum up Oasis in one word?
Me: ME!

Oh Noel, shut yer trap. Where's your sexy bitch of a brother Liam been? hehe

------------------
She not waiting on a saviour to come
She's at a bus stop with the news of the world and the sun sun here it comes
She's not waiting for anyone

Originally posted by DebbieSG:
Noel, you are right on top of it. How do you do that?

Guess it's all the alkie and such. That and the fact that I'm making the music that's important. Puts me on top of the world, love.

------------------
Reporter: Can you sum up Oasis in one word?
Me: ME!

oasis is just arrogant and have got NOTHING in their music

not just to me, but to me everyone who i talk to about music

but yeh, pulp rules

their best albums are 'his and her's' and 'different class'

there's a couple of others in 'this is hardcore' and theres another released this year 'we love life'

If you like debut albums, try "The Strokes" new album. They are a band from New York. You may have heard the first single "Last Night". The whole album is very good. It is called "Is this it?"!!!

------------------
When you stop taking chances,
You stay where you sit,
You won't live any longer,
But it'll feel like it,
-Summer Rain, Bono

[This message has been edited by spinninghead77 (edited 12-20-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom