Pseudo-MP3s????? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2001, 12:27 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:22 AM
Pseudo-MP3s?????

Why are all the mp3s I download all pseudo-mp3s!!!??

I mean, I downloaded some live U2 from this year's Elevation tour, including last night's at ND... and they all just turn out to be MPEGs ONLY playable on REALPLAYER!!!?

I can't get a bona fide MP3!! ARGH!!! ....

WHICH MEANS I CAN"T BURN DEM ON CD WITH MY BURNER SOFTWARE!!

Someone HELP QUICK!

Old 10-12-2001, 12:33 AM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 08:22 AM
Um I dont have the whole show but I have already burned a CDR off the mp3s from last nights show that I have up on my site at www.u2la.com

Old 10-12-2001, 12:36 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm sorry... but I just went to your site and my computer still reads your mp3s as Mpegs-to-be-played on RealPlayer...
Old 10-12-2001, 12:46 AM   #4
War Child

then that is a problem with your computer! Thats impossible though, they are mp3 files!

Maybe the problem is that when you downloaded Real Player you let it be the default Media Player for all media types. You may need to download a new media or mp3 player (such as MusicMatch or WinAmp)to change the settings...if you have no other media player, that could be why it keeps wanting to play them as Real Audio (sucks) files!

You can download MusicMatch at wwww.musicmatch.com
Old 10-12-2001, 12:48 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

OK... fuck this, I'm uninstalling RealPlayer...

----
Thanks for the heads up u2LA...
Old 10-12-2001, 12:52 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

And you know another thing about RealPlayer?...

I couldn't even get the DAMN THING to work on last night's webcast at Notre Dame!

again

... sorry... not angry at anyone here... just letting off steam....
Old 10-12-2001, 01:05 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Ok... I"m taking my gripe fest to the MP3 forum... if anyone can help, please click here: http://forum.u2wdd.org/u2feedback/Fo...ML/000090.html
Old 10-12-2001, 01:15 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Ok, my LAST post on this subject, I SWEAR...

check this out...
http://www.thetimebeings.com/tbsounds.htm

Technical note: We have found that in the Internet Explorer 5.5 at times the MP3 files try to automatically stream instead of download. We suggest right clicking on the MP3 link and then choose "save target as". Again as Bill Gates and company try to kill MP3, they have rigged IE to change the file type to a .mpga extension, to remedy this, after clicking "save target as" make sure it is saving the file with a .MP3 extension and not .mpga. Also you can download the file as a *.mpga file and simply rename the file after downloading to have a *.mp3 extension.

Old 10-12-2001, 01:19 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

The mp3 stream is an ActiveX plugin.

IE 6 does not try and trick you into downloading an ActiveX for mp3s, like IE 5.5 did. And, as for the *.mpga extention, I never heard of that. I never had that happen to me the entire time I used IE 5.5, which was well over a year.

As long as the file ends in *.mp3, you are good, no matter what application it opens in. The application (i.e., RealPlayer) is with your Windows registry and has nothing to do with whether you can burn it or not.

*Melon advocates universal intermediate computer knowledge for all

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time
Old 10-12-2001, 10:38 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:22 AM
I use IE 5.5 and I've never had it change an .mp3 to something else. I have no trouble downloading, playing, burning or converting .mp3's I've downloaded with IE 5.5.

However, if I ever do have a problem, I'll keep these tips in mind. Thanks.