Providence 10/30/01

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BostonAnne

Refugee
:dance: :heart: :happy:

I can't believe it's been a year! It still feels like yesterday! Almost a year ago I found my way here and to Zootopia looking for fans that were at the concert who could supply me with any documentation. Please indulge me as I share the video captures and picture I was given by such genereous fans. Thank you!
(I am also sharing the close up photos that I bought from the girl with the camera standing next to my daughter.) The only awesome photo that is missing from here is the one that Otto took, but I'm waiting for clearance to share that one! (Thank you Otto!)

cap008.JPG

cap016.JPG

cap043.JPG

As Bono declared on the outset of this show, "Where else would you wanna be?!" :happy:

I've brought the boot with me to work and cannot wait to relive each moment.. I was in the throes of U2 shows this time last year! :heart:

these are small, but u get the point ;)

01_elevation.jpg

Bono comes out and his mic is screwed up, so he is using two here as he switches mics. They didn't do a soundcheck so things at first were a bit goofy!

06_inxs.jpg

someone tossed B an INXS shirt..

one of my favorite pics I got:
09_bonolarry_blue.jpg

BostonAnne, of course I remember that night with your daughter, how amazing!! We were right in front of Edge and couldn't see where Bono was going or what he was doing- but suddenly we heard him ask "What's your name" and a pause, then the little girl's voice rang out over the arena, "I love you!" it was soooooo adorable!! :love:

It was the night before Larry's birthday, so after each encore, the crowd started chanting for him. Mr. Mullen wouldn't have it and he just booked it offstage!! We were like.. :shrug:

32_larryleaves.jpg

11_adamfingers.jpg

12_kite_adbo.jpg

33_edgeshake.jpg

31_prideclap.jpg

BostonAnne said:
cap100.JPG

And he even kisses her hand!!

Oh, that's so sweet. :cute: I wasn't at that concert, but I when I visited Providence months ago, I had to ask where the Dunkin' Donuts center was. :D

i was there too - my awesome hubby surprised me with a roadtrip to providence for my bday! he made me think we were going to cape cod until we got to providence. as we were approaching providence i was disappointed thinking that U2 was playing there and i was going to be so close and not be going!

great show, and bostonanne, when he climbed up to your daughter, that was just priceless. a true bono moment.

*swoons @ those pics

oliveu2cm said:
As Bono declared on the outset of this show, "Where else would you wanna be?!" :happy:

AHHHH That is the best part of the concert. I almost die everytime I hear it. Here's to a year ago today! :)

oliveu2cm said:

Answer: Nowhere. Nowhere else on the entire planet.

What a great night we had! BostonAnne, Bono's time with your daughter is the moment I still can't get out of my mind a year later.

"My pants just comin undone here. Scuze me...girls? takes 1st prize for humorous Bonologue of the night!

((((Hugs)))) to all the U2 souls who lifted the roof off that arena....

oliveu2cm said:

I've brought the boot with me to work and cannot wait to relive each moment.. I was in the throes of U2 shows this time last year! :heart:

Bono comes out and his mic is screwed up, so he is using two here as he switches mics. They didn't do a soundcheck so things at first were a bit goofy!

BostonAnne, of course I remember that night with your daughter, how amazing!! We were right in front of Edge and couldn't see where Bono was going or what he was doing- but suddenly we heard him ask "What's your name" and a pause, then the little girl's voice rang out over the arena, "I love you!" it was soooooo adorable!! :love:

I always smile when I listen to the boot and hear Bono say "Where else would you wanna be?!"

oliveu2cm - I love your pics! I never knew Bono had to switch mics in the beginning!

Originally posted by Fritzy
i was there too - my awesome hubby surprised me with a roadtrip to providence for my bday! he made me think we were going to cape cod until we got to providence. as we were approaching providence i was disappointed thinking that U2 was playing there and i was going to be so close and not be going!

great show, and bostonanne, when he climbed up to your daughter, that was just priceless. a true bono moment.

Fritzy - that was sooo sweet of your husband! Going to a U2 concert as a surprise has to be the best birthday present! Happy Birthday! Is it today?

Originally posted by diamond
Anne-

Happy Anniversary-Great memories..

Thanks! (singing) Big Guy, Big Car.... :D

Blue Room said:
BostonAnne, is that you that keeps saying "Oh my God" about 6 times when Bono got up there? LOL ;)

LOL! No, I think you are referring to the girl with the camera that took some of these shots. On the bootleg, there is a yell in the background between Bono asking my daughter her name and her "I love you" response - which I think is either my sister or myself responding for my daughter and yelling "Nicole".

If you look my avatar photo - I'm above my daughter in the blue. Only the lower part of my face is in the spotlight. My sister is to my daughter's left with the blond hair. The girl with the camera is to the right.

LOL, sorry about all the questions. But who is it that says they are sorry (and why?) Then someone yells "her name is Nicole" (or something like that) right after the I Love You, is this you?

Last edited:
I don't mind the questions at all Blue Room! I've never heard anyone say they were sorry - what time frame does that happen?

It is likely that my sister or myself would have yelled "Her name is Nicole" to Bono when he was climbing down. While everything was happening, I was upset that Nicole didn't reply with her name. I mean, Bono just asked her for her name and he didn't know it! Why did he want to know her name? So, at the time, I remember yelling to Nicole to tell him her name was Nicole. If you have it on video, you can see me leaning over and talking (yelling) to her to say Nicole.

I'm not sure if we have the same versions of the bootleg (or how many different recordings there are) - but on mine there is a loud "Yahh" right after she says "I Love You". I've also found an mp3 file recently named "vinsrec Providence" where someone says "lucky bastard" right before Bono asks her her name.

I'll have to listen to my SHN version in the van tomorrow as I can't hear them on the mp3 files on my computer.

Did you hear the groaning "cole" inbetween Bono's "What's your Name" and Nicole's "I love you"? I thought it was my sis or me yelling "Nicole" but I still can't tell for sure.

Its always interesting to get the details. I listen to a recording I like to see pics of what it looked like at the venue and hear peoples stories. Makes you appreciate the show more IMO.

Last edited:
I remember being in the heart and just cracking up at the answer "I Love You"...the single most genuine moment I've witnessed a fan share with Bono in my 16 concerts.

Hewson said:
I remember being in the heart and just cracking up at the answer "I Love You"...the single most genuine moment I've witnessed a fan share with Bono in my 16 concerts.

Hewson, I have tears in my eyes! That is so sweet!

Great photos. I was at the show that night, sitting ten rows up from the side of Edge. The pictures brought back lots of great memories from the show.

Back
Top Bottom