Protecting against Piracy .....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mhowells

The Fly
Just wanted to throw this out there for general discussion. Why is it that bands like U2 think they're protecting themselves against piracy by releasing their music to the public once pirated versions of their songs have been discovered??? We are all aware of the threat to pre-release on itunes when HTDAAB was stolen back in July. Now, apparently, interscope has given permission to radio stations worldwide to play HTDAAB in full in response to the leaked versions on the internet. I just don't get it, how is this protecting against piracy? The pirated music is still out there and available for FREE regardless of whether or not interscope makes the music widely available on the internet, radio, or whatever medium they choose. Is some illegal downloader supposed to rethink whether or not to download music just because the music is now legally available for a fee???? of course not.

Am I missing something here, please tell I am.

I'm sure there's a better answer. By releasing the album or making it more available simply increases the number of legal outlets out there. Maybe if it's available for purchase, people who are not normally downloaders will be more inclined to opt for a real copy instead.

The longer you keep the CD release date from the leak date, the less people you'll have buying your product. By then, they may have gotten their fill (i.e., the people are very familiar/sick of the new songs) to buy the CD. They've listened to it enough times on mp3 or whatever to purchase the real deal.

If you release it closer to the leak date, people will be excited by the mp3 and will then have more tendency to buy the real lossless version.

Again, there are better arguments.

ADecentMelody said:
I'm sure there's a better answer. By releasing the album or making it more available simply increases the number of legal outlets out there. Maybe if it's available for purchase, people who are not normally downloaders will be more inclined to opt for a real copy instead.

The longer you keep the CD release date from the leak date, the less people you'll have buying your product. By then, they may have gotten their fill (i.e., the people are very familiar/sick of the new songs) to buy the CD. They've listened to it enough times on mp3 or whatever to purchase the real deal.

If you release it closer to the leak date, people will be excited by the mp3 and will then have more tendency to buy the real lossless version.

Again, there are better arguments.

agreeed

Back
Top Bottom