Props to Bono for remaining neutral in the Iraq war.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree that Bono has avoided making an idiot out of himself and has been stating his opinions in a dignified way (except for when he almost set himself on fire on stage not long ago; the video's on YouTube). I'm glad that they haven't pulled a Dixie Chicks move and alienated half their fanbase.

U2 seem to jab at whoever's human rights violations are making the news at the time. Which is usually the US. But Bono can do that because we don't issue fatwahs. I would be worried about him if he were speaking as openly about what's happening in Darfur and other regions of Africa where innocent people are getting maimed and murdered by Muslim extremists. If he has to criticize someone, we are a safe bet.

Last edited:
Rachel D. said:
I agree that Bono has avoided making an idiot out of himself and has been stating his opinions in a dignified way (except for when he almost set himself on fire on stage not long ago; the video's on YouTube). I'm glad that they haven't pulled a Dixie Chicks move and alienated half their fanbase.

U2 seem to jab at whoever's human rights violations are making the news at the time. Which is usually the US. But Bono can do that because we don't issue fatwahs. I would be worried about him if he were speaking as openly about what's happening in Darfur and other regions of Africa where innocent people are getting maimed and murdered by Muslim extremists. If he has to criticize someone, we are a safe bet.

Bono has recieved death threats for speaking out in the US. During the JT tour there were death threats being taken very seriously by the FBI in relation to the bands support of Martin Luther King. He also has recieved threats due to the Sarajevo stuff as well as for bringing Salmon Rushdie on stage during the Zoo tour. The reason he chooses to focus on Africa and not jump on every protest train that passes by is that by doing that he is taken more seriously. He can still, in the context of the concerts, comment on things the band wants to comment on and when questioned in interviews he does not hesitate to answer what his views are but he does give up joining in the antiwar protests and other such things in order to more effectively work for Africa.

This is a very intelligent decision as it is better to be able to have a definite effect in one area than to speak out about 20 and effect none.

Dana

U2 took their place on an anti Iraq war march in Dublin a couple of years ago....enough said.

Back
Top Bottom