Propaganda cd question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dizzy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but...

I just bought a Rattle and Hum outtakes cd, released by Propaganda, according to the seller. Does anyone know if there was really such? Apparently, I got a burned copy. It sounds good, but I was led to believe that he was gonna give me the original.
frown.gif

Hmmm.. unless there is something I have totally forgotten or never heard of, it sounds like a scam. Is it a recording (music) or a concert (video) or what? If it's a recording, then it seems to be a bootleg.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

The songs are actually just the exact versions of the ones from the DVD/video. I was reading the the tracklist, and "Van Diemen's Land" is even misspelled. I just wanted to make sure before I give this person a bad feedback on ebay. Oh well.

That seems sort of crappy.
frown.gif
I'd give them bad feedback IF they did not clearly state it was just the same tracks off of Rattle and Hum. If they did.. not much you can do. Anyway -- that is so dumb. It isn't outtakes if it is just some of the songs from the movie they left out of the album.
tongue.gif

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

I have a "promotional" Rattle and Hum cd. It contains 5 songs

1. In God's Country
2. Hawkmoon 269
3. Bad
4. God Part II
5. With or Without You

I haven't listened to it in over 10 years, but the one thing that stands out is how high quality the tracks are.

Tracks 1,3,5 are on the video
The others are taken from the cd

The boot is entitled "Excerpts from Rattle and Hum" and was apparently released in Japan, or some Asian country

Is this the one you have?

[This message has been edited by muh2o (edited 03-01-2002).]

muh2o, I have that excerpts CD also. It was a promotional CD that was released to select radio stations at the time Rattle and Hum came out in 1988. It has a gatefold with a picture of U2 inside. It is an official item from Island records.

Regarding a Rattle And Hum outtakes CD being released from Propaganda, it was not. Propaganda has only released 2 CD's in its existence. The Melon remix CD and the Hasta La Vista Baby Live from Mexico City disc. What you have received is a bootleg CD that was either ripped from the video or DVD of Rattle And Hum.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 03-01-2002).]

LOL, this shows how much I do NOT know..
wink.gif

------------------

Originally posted by Blue Room:
muh2o, I have that excerpts CD also. It was a promotional CD that was released to select radio stations at the time Rattle and Hum came out in 1988. It has a gatefold with a picture of U2 inside. It is an official item from Island records.

Actually, this promo was released to promote the release of the video of Rattle & Hum in 1989. It says so on the inside (or at least on my copy, I assume I have bought an original last year on Ebay. It sure was mighty expensive). The copyright for the live tracks is also 1989 (while it is 1988 for the studio tracks).

Regarding a Rattle And Hum outtakes CD being released from Propaganda, it was not. Propaganda has only released 2 CD's in its existence. The Melon remix CD and the Hasta La Vista Baby Live from Mexico City disc. What you have received is a bootleg CD that was either ripped from the video or DVD of Rattle And Hum.

I believe this bootleg was ripped from the Rattle & Hum video (not the DVD). The original bootleg has been released for some time now. You can probably find a description of it on FLOM ( http://www.u2-flom.de ).

BTW, this is one reason to always do some research before you buy something on Ebay. You can get ripped off very easily on Ebay, especially with regard to bootlegs (ie. they don't tell you that you only get a (badly?) copied CD-R (and maybe sourced from MP3) that you can get for (almost) free easily from actual traders on U2 trading mailing lists).

Anyway, I think I should stop here, before I start ranting and rambling too much.

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Popmartijn, you are correct about the Excerpts CD. I checked mine and it has copyright 1988 and then right after that 1989 and it has an asterisk for which songs are included on the video. So I was a year off and it was for the video release.

Fortunately I purchased my copy at a record show in 1990 for about $30. I dont think the dealer knew what it was and I think she thought it was only 5 songs so it wouldnt be worth much. It was great to have up until the DVD release. Now ALL of the songs on Rattle And Hum are available with CD quality sound. Its still cool to have with the gatefold in all though.

I also agree with your opinion about Ebay. No one should BUY from there. Most U2 shows you can trade from fans here or do blanks and postage and get higher quality typically.

Thanks guys, for all the info.
smile.gif

What this seller sent me is probably ripped from the DVD (exactly all the songs from it). It's a 2cd set and geez, it cost a bit.
frown.gif
My only consolation is that the sound is pretty good. I was so bent on getting it bec. the R&H versions of songs like SBS, WOWY, etc. were the best I ever heard so far.

Lesson learned. I'll be careful next time.

[This message has been edited by dizzy (edited 03-02-2002).]

Yes, there is a DVD rip of the actual entire film soundtrack, which I have. It is a MUST HAVE for any U2 fan! It is perfect quality, and is amazing to listen to! It can be downloaded from several places/people for free. It sounds like this guy is guilty of selling something he definitely should'nt be selling!...

------------------
"Hey, pardon me for askin', but who's that little ol' man?..."

Originally posted by muh2o:
F***ing bastard
wink.gif
I paid $75 for mine. And that was the late 80's!

I bought it a few months ago off Ebay for $100. It was the most expensive thing I ever bought off Ebay and I was also quite nervous for fearing that I would be ripped off. Fortunately, I wasn't and it is now my most treasured U2 collectable. I feel very lucky to have it (especially as I saw the Excerpts... promo often go for more than $200 which is way too much for me).

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Back
Top Bottom