Promenade Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BANZAI

War Child
Yeah I know...ANOTHER appreciation thread. But I never hear people talk about this beautiful and atmospheric song that captures the whole atmosphere of The Unforgettable Fire.

Terrific song!!! :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Promenade is a fantastic song. :up:

Up through the spiral staircase to the higher ground. :drool:

Hearing this on my headphones drifting off to sleep is heavenly.
Once I had my headphones on and after listening in my sleep for awhile Promonade came on and I woke up like Whoa! a little disoriented too!

This is such a fantastic song, one of the best off U2's greatest album. :drool:

Yeah this song reminds me of vacations I went on with my family by the ocean (not sure why), must just be the atmosphere it conveys.

I love singing this song too.

shart1780 said:

Same! It's just such a natural-sounding, carefree kind of melody. Nothing forced about it at all. Great to sing along to. It's a real gem of a song, even with the clunky lyrics at the very end. :up:

Originally posted by shart1780

I can't sing very well, but I do it anyway. I don't think you can appreciate music as mcuh unless you sing along. :wink:

The problem I had with this song was that it was too short, and not quite as stimulating as Tracks 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 or 8. But that said, it is a brilliant little number, and one of the best two and a half minute songs I have ever heard. The vocals are just :drool:

For me, this song states what u2 was all about. It takes you somewhere. You drift off to a more peaceful place. i listened to it last night and it brought back so many memories. I honestly can say that there is not many, if any, songs latterly that U2 has done that captured a moment like promenade did for me. Maybe with time my opinion will change regarding the more recent records

gman said:
For me, this song states what u2 was all about. It takes you somewhere. You drift off to a more peaceful place. i listened to it last night and it brought back so many memories. I honestly can say that there is not many, if any, songs latterly that U2 has done that captured a moment like promenade did for me. Maybe with time my opinion will change regarding the more recent records

Great post and I couldn't have said it better myself about this gem that forever will be in my top ten U2 songs - I had it played at my wedding reception :reject:

If someone asks me if I could embody one or maybe two U2 songs that would at least for me sum up thier sound it would be Promenade and Bad.

Amazing song :up:

I wish this song was snippeted in Bad or something.

Like an Original -> Promenade -> Bad
or All I Want is You -> Promenade - > Bad combination.

Then again, the guys haven't returned my calls.

:grumpy:

gman said:

Well said. :up:

Promenade is beautiful. Nowhere in that song do you hear a band trying to be the biggest band on earth, or a band trying to capture a certain age demographic. All you hear is a band caught up in one magical moment. It sounds so free and spontaneous, which is something I don't think U2 have managed for a long time.

Ax loves UF doesn't he?!?! I love Promenade, my favorite song off that album (which is full of wonderful songs warts and all).

There is something dreamlike and yet so thought provoking about that song...like it's saying so much without saying anything at all. Hard to explain, but it's a quality song which should have so much more fanfare.

LemonMelon said:

Wow, it's not like I said Achtung is a steaming pile of shit.

Why is it so :down: to think UF is U2's best album? I know I'm not alone in that opinion, and not alone in considering it to be U2's first masterpiece.

I'm not sure it's their "best" album, but it might be their most special, most "u2" album. It holds a really, really special place in my heart.

Axver said:

Wow, it's not like I said Achtung is a steaming pile of shit.

Why is it so :down: to think UF is U2's best album? I know I'm not alone in that opinion, and not alone in considering it to be U2's first masterpiece.

Hey, I didn't cuss you out or anything, I just disagreed with you, hence the :down: :sad:

LemonMelon said:

Hey, I didn't cuss you out or anything, I just disagreed with you, hence the :down: :sad:

Four instances of :down: tends to be quite strong disagreement though! It's the kind of response I'd expect to someone saying "Adam Clayton looks like he'll croak if he tries to play a bass solo" rather than to someone saying they think UF is U2's best album.

Back
Top Bottom