Product (RED) on Ebay already...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCOSTER

ONE love, blood, life
Do you believe some people?? I am soooo appalled. Maybe the product red people should have come up with a t shirt with
Ebaye(RED) on it.

So now these people go into the store buy a t for $28. Half goes to Global thats $14. They sell it on ebay for say $70. The ebayer makes out with $ 42 for every shirt they sell.

And the Global Fund has $14.00, how do people live with themselves?

Totally dihonoring and disgusting.:tsk:

yeah, i noticed that, too.

don't bid on anything-----or else you'll never see it in a store again. it'll be like ticket scalpers. :|

I wonder if people complained to eBay that it's a charity item that shouldn't be there, they would take it down?

Would eBay care?

True, but if people would not buy it they would not be able to make money.

The chraity issue is a bit clouded though. I mean if you buy a shirt its going to be $15 they get for chraity no matter what so yeah then they turn around and sell it and make a profit but at least the shirt sold and got the $15 for the charity. Its kinda confusing but thats how I see it.

Reptile347 said:

The chraity issue is a bit clouded though. I mean if you buy a shirt its going to be $15 they get for chraity no matter what so yeah then they turn around and sell it and make a profit but at least the shirt sold and got the $15 for the charity. Its kinda confusing but thats how I see it.

That is how I think of it too...

Reptile347 said:

The chraity issue is a bit clouded though. I mean if you buy a shirt its going to be $15 they get for chraity no matter what so yeah then they turn around and sell it and make a profit but at least the shirt sold and got the $15 for the charity.

Heh, I hadn't even thought about that, but I guess you're right!

Reptile347 said:
I mean if you buy a shirt its going to be $15 they get for chraity no matter what so yeah then they turn around and sell it and make a profit but at least the shirt sold and got the $15 for the charity. Its kinda confusing but thats how I see it.

Agreed. It's not like the sellers are taking money away from any charity, unless they shoplifted the item or something. People don't have to bid on it.

Quick question...so if the shirt's $28, half of the PROFIT goes to the Global Fund, right? So say the profit is $20 on each shirt...That means $10 goes to the Fund (not $14, half the cost)?

majid23 said:
Quick question...so if the shirt's $28, half of the PROFIT goes to the Global Fund, right? So say the profit is $20 on each shirt...That means $10 goes to the Fund (not $14, half the cost)?

Yes, half of the PROFIT that Gap has will go to the Global Fund.
Not half of what we paid for the product.
That's how I understand it any way.

Miringeltje said:

Yes, half of the PROFIT that Gap has will go to the Global Fund.
Not half of what we paid for the product.
That's how I understand it any way.

yes, half of the PROFIT, not the selling price. So if The Gap paid $5 per shirt (for example), and sold for $28, that's a profit of $23, and half of that will go to Africa ($11.50). Then again it's net profit, so that's where I get confused. Does net include overhead, paying employees, etc.? :reject: :shifty:

tpsreports2424 said:
But why do you guys care? These people aren't stealing and if they put it on Ebay and someone puts a bid for it, isn't it their loss?

Because the higher the profits on ebay, the more likely it is that a bunch of jackasses buy a billion shirts and sell them on ebay....making it hard for regular folks to find them in the stores & at regular prices.

I know the money still is going to the global fund but for these people to make a profit off of basically charity is SO WRONG ON SO MANY LEVELS.. I am furious!:mad:

tpsreports2424 said:
That's 2 different things...

You are talking about people being jackasses by doing profit

I am talking about that the money still goes to Africa right?

Yeah, but it's just like people buying concert tickets and scalping them online. The band gets the money either way, but you end up having to pay $400 for a ticket. The more people there are who are stupid and willing to pay $400 on ebay, the more jackasses there are who buy tickets just to scalp them. Same here--the more people there are who will pay twice the price on ebay, the more jackasses will buy all the stuff just to sell it again.

You want to have the chance to buy a concert ticket at the regular price. I want the chance to buy a tshirt at the regular price.

Sure, the money goes to the cause either way. But when I buy it on ebay, now I'm also funding some asshole, too.

Utoo said:

Yeah, but it's just like people buying concert tickets and scalping them online. The band gets the money either way, but you end up having to pay $400 for a ticket. The more people there are who are stupid and willing to pay $400 on ebay, the more jackasses there are who buy tickets just to scalp them. Same here--the more people there are who will pay twice the price on ebay, the more jackasses will buy all the stuff just to sell it again.

You want to have the chance to buy a concert ticket at the regular price. I want the chance to buy a tshirt at the regular price.

Sure, the money goes to the cause either way. But when I buy it on ebay, now I'm also funding some asshole, too.

EXACTLY!!!!:yes: Why should we fund these assholes who are making a profit off of charity!!! HELL NO! I sent two messages through ebay to these people telling them shame on you for profiting off a charity... these auctions need to be taken off..

But isn't it the peoples problems that they are bidding one something on Ebay?

I knoe where you're coming from but still even if GAP sold out everywhere of those shirts? Wouldn't you want the shirt?

I still think as long as Africa gets the money it shouldn't be any of our business what other people want to do with the shirts unless you want to buy the shirt..

This is awful, I would hope Ebay would put a stop to it like they did for tickets to Live 8 in London.

tpsreports2424 said:
But isn't it the peoples problems that they are bidding one something on Ebay?

No, it's not just their problem. I see your point----"hey, you're the idiot wasting your money on a marked-up shirt on ebay, not me"---but that's not it. The more people there are who are willing to do that, the more people there will be to buy things up at the store just to resell it on ebay to take advantage of the people who'll buy it there. Ultimately, that hurts the people who aren't willing to spend a million dollars on a tshirt and would like to have the opportunity to buy the shirt in the store---like you're supposed to be able to do---but can't because some dumb scalper has bought everything up to sell on ebay. That's what happens. I don't care if someone wants to spend $120 on a tshirt on ebay. What I care about is that the guy who's now making a $90 profit is going to go to my store, buy the stuff I want to buy and clean the store out so that he can make even more profit....and I'm left without a tshirt unless I want to pay $120 for it.

It's just like the tickets. I don't care if someone's willing to spend $400. What I care about is that when everyone says, "Sure, I'll spend $400," then the market gets inundated with scalpers who suck up all the tickets at regular price---leaving none for me and you to get at regular price---and then make it so that the only way to get a ticket is to bid $400 on ebay.

:confused:

I still don't understand it why you are all so upset. Someone is selling these RED shirts on eBay for an inflated price, these shirts that you can also buy in the shops for $28 or so. Then why don't you buy them in the shops?

Some stores have sold out of the product, so I suppose someone who "HAS TO HAVE ONE RIGHT NOW!!!!!" would go to eBay, but jeez ... with a little patience, your local Gap store will be getting more in.

The gal I talked to at the Gap yesterday said they're getting two shipments in this coming week.

Even if someone didn't live near a Gap, there's always Gap online. I don't understand WHY someone would go to eBay to get something. It's not like these are only available for one week.

:shrug:

Popmartijn said:
:confused:

I still don't understand it why you are all so upset. Someone is selling these RED shirts on eBay for an inflated price, these shirts that you can also buy in the shops for $28 or so. Then why don't you buy them in the shops?

Because the shops are sold out of the shirts(I know that more are coming in but maybe these people on ebay think that this some limited/special deal or something). Which I bet some people who purchased them are planning to sell them on ebay for profit. This just defeats the purpose of what Product (RED) is trying to do. These people are profiting off of a charity. We all are aware of the fact that the money from the sale of these items has already gone to global fund but for these people to profit off of this is wrong.

Last edited:
I am sure that as soon as the buy frenzy has worn down and Gap can keep the product in the store then there won't be as much demand to buy the shirts off ebay. Only a moron would pay $50 for a shirt when they can get the SAME shirt in the store or online for $28. Let's hope there aren't too many morons out there.

what i don't understand at the heart of the matter is: why are people bidding on these items? it's not like they are rare. i went to pioneer place in downtown Portland Oregon yesterday and it seemed like every store had Red Products, and a LOT of each item. (and a lot of people were buying... it is amazing how much infuluence Oprah has... but anyway)... i don't understand why people are stupid enough to drop 70 bucks on a shirt that they could easily get for 28 at the store.

the whole pont of the RED line is that these items are available EVERYWHERE. that is how the campaign is going to be successful. that is the brilliant part. these things aren't rare collectors items. i talked ot the guy at the gap and he said that next week they will be getting a shipment TWICE the size of the one they got this week (and they had a huge amount of product already)

i dunno. i definitely think that the people selling these things on ebay are vultures. but i also think that anyone dumb enough to bid twice retail price on these items, and do so knowing full well that NONE of their money will go to the Global Fund.

well, pardon me, but it seems that they are just plain stupid. even if you don't think about the globabl fund. anyone willing to bay twice retail for NONRARE items are just plain stupid. (or maybe too lazy to get in the car or subway and take the five minute trek to the Gap / Armani / etc)

U2Fanatic4ever said:

This just defeats the purpose of what Product (RED) is trying to do. These people are profiting off of a charity. We all are aware of the fact that the money from the sale of these items has already gone to global fund but for these people to profit off of this is wrong.

I don't see how they are profiting off a charity. It's just a shirt at this point - the charity will get the money. EDUN shirts and non-RED shirts are also available on ebay.

Yeah, also those shirts are going to be out ther for 5 more years. Plus many stores on monday are getting more RED stuff..

They'll probaly be more ready for the thousands of people who want to buy those shirts..

Clawgrabber said:
what i don't understand at the heart of the matter is: why are people bidding on these items? it's not like they are rare. i went to pioneer place in downtown Portland Oregon yesterday and it seemed like every store had Red Products, and a LOT of each item. (and a lot of people were buying... it is amazing how much infuluence Oprah has... but anyway)... i don't understand why people are stupid enough to drop 70 bucks on a shirt that they could easily get for 28 at the store.

the whole pont of the RED line is that these items are available EVERYWHERE. that is how the campaign is going to be successful. that is the brilliant part. these things aren't rare collectors items. i talked ot the guy at the gap and he said that next week they will be getting a shipment TWICE the size of the one they got this week (and they had a huge amount of product already)

i dunno. i definitely think that the people selling these things on ebay are vultures. but i also think that anyone dumb enough to bid twice retail price on these items, and do so knowing full well that NONE of their money will go to the Global Fund.

well, pardon me, but it seems that they are just plain stupid. even if you don't think about the globabl fund. anyone willing to bay twice retail for NONRARE items are just plain stupid. (or maybe too lazy to get in the car or subway and take the five minute trek to the Gap / Armani / etc)

you are exactly right! :yes: I agree with you 100%. These items are not rare and will be plentiful in supply over the next 5 years. Some people are just a tad impatient I guess.:shrug:

Back
Top Bottom