Problem w/ Grace??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TheFly84138 said:

THAT STILL DOESN'T MAKE THEM GOOD! I UNDERSTAND THE LYRICS TO ALL OF BRITNEY SPEARS' SONGS BUT DOES THAT MAKE THEM GOOD! Get off your christian made high horse.
Calm down. I'm not on a high horse. Someone called the lyrics "crap", and I told him that if he were a Christian (living under grace), he wouldn't call them crap. Those lyrics accurately describe one of the cornerstone beliefs of the Christian faith, and would be meaningful to anyone who is a Christian and understands what it means to live under grace.

Are you some kind of a fanatic or what?
I am a Christian, mate. That doesn't mean I buy some stupid contrasts between a name and a thought.
You're stating your OPINION like it is true or right. Lyrics, like music, are based on personal opinion. It doesn't matter if you are a Christian or not.
I think the lyrics for Grace are bad. And I do believe in God. For example, I adore the Tomorrow lyrics(a very religious song) or most of All Because of You.

80sU2isBest said:

Calm down. I'm not on a high horse. Someone called the lyrics "crap", and I told him that if he were a Christian (living under grace), he wouldn't call them crap. Those lyrics accurately describe one of the cornerstone beliefs of the Christian faith, and would be meaningful to anyone who is a Christian and understands what it means to live under grace.

:eek:h my: Interesting point there 80sU2isBest! Just for the sake of discussion... are you suggesting that anybody considering themselves a Christian, would find it impossible to deny the quality of these Lyrics?
I am a Christian and I DO appreciate the lyrics in this song. However, maybe its my shortsightedness...but I wouldn't claim this song has instant appeal on behalf of all Christians because of lyrical content.
The overall theme is perhaps one that would be difficult to contest as a Christian, but everyone has different tastes and ways of expressing themselves. I can't argue against the message, that many of the hymns I sing at Church speak...but don't expect me to enter them into any lyrical competitions.

Just a thought...

Sorry that was meant to be a :ohmy: not a :eek:. Didn't mean to appear angry there for anybody thinking I was going off on a :rant:!

Neither did I. I'm just trying to make a point here - from a pure poetry or writing perspective(from which I do have experience), the song is very shallow and too obvious. And it sounds really cheesy. Opinions on lyrics or music don't need to have anything to do with belief or faith.

djerdap said:

Opinions on lyrics or music don't need to have anything to do with belief or faith.

Well...they kinda do in a way, but opinions on lyrics will relate to all things (not just Faith/belief) because people have different perspectives and levels of understanding.
Grace will mean something different for someone who isn't familiar with Religeon (even if it means very little) than for someone who is a Christian. As the song is based largely around a theme of Christianity, ones opinion on its lyrical content will depend on the level of understanding one has for the subject matter. I think this is pretty much the point that 80su2isbest was making...?
That said though, not everybody who understands the perspective of the writer and his message will appreciate the lyrics equally. I think that was the point you were making djerdap...?

As Adam confesses in R&H...."aw f*ck it I don't know!"

I agree. I said "don't need to". I meant not necessarily.

djerdap said:
Are you some kind of a fanatic or what?
I am a Christian, mate. That doesn't mean I buy some stupid contrasts between a name and a thought.
You're stating your OPINION like it is true or right. Lyrics, like music, are based on personal opinion. It doesn't matter if you are a Christian or not.
I think the lyrics for Grace are bad. And I do believe in God. For example, I adore the Tomorrow lyrics(a very religious song) or most of All Because of You.
I wish I could honestly say I am a fanatic, because that's a good thing. I don't think I've ever heard a Christian ask another Christian if he were a "fanatic", as if that were some sort of bad thing. That's because most Christians know that God wants 100% of people's lives and hearts. I don't give 100%, and I'll bet no one does. But that's what God wants. God wants us his children to be "fanatics".

I said that if you lived under grace, you wouldn't call the lyrics "crap". You might not think they are the best lyrics Bono has ever written, but the lyrics very accurately describe the belief in God's grace of Christ on the cross. I don't understand how any Christian can call that "crap".

Last edited:
djerdap said:
Grace is crap. The lyrics are even more crap.
"Grace, it's a name for a girl... it's also a thought that changed the world"
I mean, how can a guy who wrote a lyrical masterpiece as Running To Stand Still write THIS?

For the love of everything, get over that one lyric. I'm convinced people have a five minute loop of that line rather than the proper song. Some of the other lyrics are amazing.

What once was hurt, what once was friction
What left a mark no longer stings ...

Such beautiful, true lines.

corner said:

As the song is based largely around a theme of Christianity, ones opinion on its lyrical content will depend on the level of understanding one has for the subject matter. I think this is pretty much the point that 80su2isbest was making...?
Yes it is, sorta. But really, I was talking more about "appreciation" than understanding. I really appreciate the song Grace because I have been blessed by God's gift of grace. My entire point is that I don't see how anyone who has been blessed by God's gift of grace wouldn't appreciate lyrics that so accurately describe that grace.

Its cool...its groovin...nobody's getting hostile here! Good quality banter is what I like to see!:)

80sU2isBest said:

Yes it is, sorta. But really, I was talking more about "appreciation" than understanding. I really appreciate the song Grace because I have been blessed by God's gift of grace. My entire point is that I don't see how anyone who has been blessed by God's gift of grace wouldn't appreciate lyrics that so accurately describe that grace.

:yes: yeah that's fair enough mate, I can see your point here...but an 'accurate' description for one person might not be as meaningful or acurate for another.
In the same way, several artists can draw the same subject as accurately as each other...but I won't necessarily appreciate each unique work, equally.

Just playing the devil's advocate here :devilmac:

you know when I listened to the album for the first few times when I wasn't yet thinking about the lyrics, just listening for the music and sound first, I thought Bono had written a song about his maid or cleaning lady named "Grace."

I love that song, a lot, it's beautiful, and I also love "Peace on Earth" on there.

Grace isn't bad per say, but when held next to the other closing tracks in U2's catalogue, it absolutley withers.

Back
Top Bottom