Prince "borrows" from U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah it is the same but...it's two notes :huh: if he had stolen the whole riff that'd be one thing but...I mean that rhythm isn't exactly uncommon so... :shrug:

Yeah. I immediately thought of "I Will Follow" when I heard "Guitar" for the first time.

Yes Prince is awesome and no, it's not 'blatantly' IWF. I don't think the notes are even the same, are they? and it's three notes Prince is playing, not two...so even the arrangement is different..

Guitar tone is similar (but definitely tamer and more processed), I'll concede that...but then again maybe he's giving a subtle nod, lots of musicians do that..

anyways, if Prince really wanted to bite Edge, he woulda done it a long time ago, he's been around almost if not as long as Edge has! :shrug:

(and for that matter is no slouch on guitar either)

and U2's never "borrowed" riffs from anyone else.

Vertigo's riff isn't rehashed from Sonic Youth's "Dirty Boots" at all.

This happens all the time, Led Zeppelin and Oasis have made careers off of it, so it's not that big of a deal, at least for me.

The album this is from, "Planet Earth" is my favorite album of the summer so far.

Differing opinions aside, anyone who does not acknowledge Prince's musical acumen and genius and claims 2 know and appreciate true musicianship doesn't know what they're talking about.

IMO, the single greatest musician of our era.

^
I'll give U that 4 Prince, that's a track he can write in his sleep. But it's fresher-sounding than a lot of what's playing on the TOP 40 right now, and not "a terrible excuse for music" as U put it.

It's also deceiving. Far from the best track on the album.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Do you use the 2, U, and 4 stuff because of Prince?

LOL... not the first time I've been asked. I guess being a fan 4 years, combined with the age of the text-message has resulted in my less-than-grammatically-correct way of spelling. So I don't do it CUZ of Prince, but I guess it had something 2 do w/ it. Annoys some, oh well.

The Disciple said:

LOL... not the first time I've been asked. I guess being a fan 4 years, combined with the age of the text-message has resulted in my less-than-grammatically-correct way of spelling. So I don't do it CUZ of Prince, but I guess it had something 2 do w/ it. Annoys some, oh well.

It doesn't matter to me, I was just askin'.

LemonMacPhisto said:
and U2's never "borrowed" riffs from anyone else.

Vertigo's riff isn't rehashed from Sonic Youth's "Dirty Boots" at all.

This happens all the time, Led Zeppelin and Oasis have made careers off of it, so it's not that big of a deal, at least for me.

You have got to be kidding me I'm a musician....the riff in Vertigo sounds nothing like any part of "Dirty Boots" ,rehashed or otherwise ...it's safe to assume that connection is in your head and no one else's
Now Zeppelin REALLY ripped off a few artists,that has been established many times

If you want an example of a rehashed riff look no further than The Offspring's song "Self Esteem" is a rehashed version of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" basically it's SLTS played backwards

Back
Top Bottom