Pride tempo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
This question has been near 22 odd years in the making. It goes back to first watching the unforgettable fire vhs (in approx 1986 and cost £29.99, from all good stockists, in them days). Anyhoo..........the bit where i think Briam Eno slows down Pride, has always sounded better to me. This is further backed up , in my opinion, by the R&H version which is like U2 on speed. Compare to Slane, which is slower, and u see wat i mean.
For me, i think the song is better played at a slower tempo.

Bueller, bueller........anyone, bueller?

The last two tours in particular have been dreadful for Pride. Too slow mixed with vocals Bono just can't do anymore.

And they've been dropping the key. Even if you're not a musician, you can sense this song getting farther and farther out of reach.

I thought pride kicked ass on the vertigo tour. Bono's vocals have never been stronger on it. The rattle an Hum version sucks real bad by the way Bono sounds like crap on it he cant even hold the note.

This tour's vocals are an improvement over Elevation and Popmart versions which really sound tired.

Jdelbove said:
I thought pride kicked ass on the vertigo tour. Bono's vocals have never been stronger on it. The rattle an Hum version sucks real bad by the way Bono sounds like crap on it he cant even hold the note.

I agree with you on the JT/LT versions, he dosnt hold the note.
On Old Grey Whistle test 1987 they played the song in its original key :)

The best Pride I heard is 1986-06-15 - East Rutherford, that one is powerful.

U2girl said:
This tour's vocals are an improvement over Elevation and Popmart versions which really sound tired.

Have you heard Bono's vocal on the chours of the Popmart opening night? :)

But overall the versions from Popmart and Elevation wasnt that good. :(

Jdelbove said:

I have to say I agree with this.

Back in 1988, when R&H came out, I was so looking forward to hearing "Pride" live. I hadn't had a chance to see U2 live yet at that point and hadn't heard the song live (bootlegs didn't exist in my world then). "Pride" was my favorite U2 song (maybe still is) and I couldn't wait to hear Bono belt out those lyrics in concert.

Then I heard it and was wildly disappointed. The song sounded a key or two lower, and Bono's vocals lacked the passion (except for that scream at the end) that I heard on UF. The song seemed flat and Bono's upper register - on that song - was nonexistent. And, keep in mind, this was 1988.

Now that I've caught up on my boots and whatnot, I've come to realize that even in 1984/85, Bono and U2 were never able to fully reproduce the studio version of "Pride". And this is logical - Bono would probably destroy his voice if he sang that way every night!

The Vertigo Tour was solid as Bono did give a shot for the high notes, but it was clearly a rearranged song. I feel artists have full rights to rearrange songs as they deem necessary. The last tour is probably the only tour where I've been able to enjoy "Pride" in concert.

Yup, I agree. In fact I think Pride is one of a rare breed of U2 songs that sounds better in the studio.

Yeah, the studio probably is the definitive version; of course it also lacks the thousands of fans screaming along with it too though, haha. If I'm not mistaken, "Pride" was done in the original key on the Hall of Fame induction in 2004.

Back
Top Bottom