PRIDE SINGLE on vinyl... a question from a curious fan...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi everyone! Recently, i was lucky enough to borrow the 12-inch edition of the original Pride single from a friend who has quite a lot of early U2 releases on vinyl. It is backed by Boomerang I, Boomerang II, and 4th of July, and has the large picture of M.L.K. on its sleeve. What i immediately noticed is that the song Pride sounds like a longer, earlier version than that found on the Unforgettable Fire & Best Of CD's. It is timed at 4:40 and feels a little 'rough round the edges' but is all the better for it! Bono sounds less composed but more intense on it, and Edge's guitar is more ringing than i remebered. Am i completely mad here, or is this really a different version? I think it sounds amazing, but then i'm not used to the sound quality of vinyl.

Did U2 do this (i.e. put a different version on album to the single) with any other singles or is this the only example? I'm sure someone out there knows! I'd be real grateful for any info.

Thankz, mysprit.

The CD single for "Pride" is the same. There is an extra verse of the chorus ("what more in the name of love") that Bono sings. However, in this extra verse, he sounds very raw - probably the way he really sounded for most of the song before Brian Eno "cleaned him up."

Some people like this extra verse as it is very raw and real. Others feel it stands out from the rest of the song. Either way, it's only available on the single version of this song.

Back
Top Bottom