Pride live popmart from las vegas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdelbove

Acrobat
YouTube - Pride (live from Popmart Las Vegas)

does anyone else think this is the best perfromance of Pride from the popmart tour. Even though the messed it up a bit Bono realy belted that thing out. I didnt even know he could sing with strenth like that in 1997. I dont know why he didnt always try to sing it this way. Even though Bono motions to edge to play it down a note at the begining u can tell he is comfortable with his voice and just pushes through because he sings the last chorus twice. What do u guys think about this preformance I wish Bono had put his heart into the song all tour that way pride wouldnt have notoriously sucked the whole Pop tour because he sounds good here when he is actualy trying.

Something is out ...Bono is too high in chorus'....but he belts it alrite. Bono 'is' Bono when he goes for the passion ....

Edge started it in the wrong key, it was too high for bono, you can see him complain!
I think he just thought "sod it" and went with it. It does actually give the song more passion and resonance than it had for the entire tour imo!

Popmart , las vegas. Worst u2 concert/performance in their career ?

No, Edge and Adam are playing it fine - Bono just wasn't up to task to sing in that key anymore. It's not like Edge and Adam are going to transpose the key after the song was started.

They should've worked this out in rehearsal. But, hey, that's the PopMart tour for you! :D

In regards to the tuning of the song, I'm pretty sure it's in Bb, like it was on Zoo TV and all tours beforehand, but later in the tour it was tuned down a half step to A.
I too was impressed by this performance, it stood out amongst some shaky versions of other songs around it. I'm not sure why Bono skipped the first verse though. I have the pro-shot version on VHS and you care BARELY make out Edge singing the first verse, and Bono calls something out to him.

I'm not really sure how they manage to play songs in the wrong key.

Particularly on the popmart tour, when they used a lot of of backing tracks.. I don't know if there was one for pride, but if there was it would sound awful...

PopMart Vegas wasnt that bad.
Only Staring at the Sun and Discotheque were messed up

They had some difficulty playing their new material...but that's expected. Overall, listening to the bootleg the show sounded well.

Bono's voice was suffering a bit...but I've heard worse.

Bono didnt sing the chours like that on JT/LT and ZooTV, its very impressive.
Vegas worst show, no. I think the shows gets very intressting when the band make misstakes. Their worst show , JT syracuse show, one of the most boring shows they have done.

Bono couldn't really hit the high notes and that to me made the songs suffer a bit.
But like Moser said, its difficult playing new material and the 1st show is always full of mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom