Press conference concerning new album's sound and direction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
U2_newalbumpressconference-1.gif

And, yes, I made the reporters sheep on purpose. :wink:

Oh LM, how I love thee :love:

This was fab :up:

My favourite bit was "Wood?" :lol:

Now as for Minutes to Midnight... I was just thinking the other day about how I really only like half of that album. The half I like is molten metal... the other half is Linkin Park trying to sound like JT-era U2...

DreamOutLoud13 said:
Oh LM, how I love thee :love:

This was fab :up:

My favourite bit was "Wood?" :lol:

Now as for Minutes to Midnight... I was just thinking the other day about how I really only like half of that album. The half I like is molten metal... the other half is Linkin Park trying to sound like JT-era U2...

The Minutes To Midnight/U2 comparison is interesting, actually. I've heard it made previously, and I wonder if the album was a conscious attempt to sound like U2, or some band that already sounds like U2 (EG: Coldplay, Keane). Not a big fan of Linkin Park, but I do find that interesting, especially when Rubin is thrown into the mix.

LemonMelon said:
The Minutes To Midnight/U2 comparison is interesting, actually. I've heard it made previously, and I wonder if the album was a conscious attempt to sound like U2, or some band that already sounds like U2 (EG: Coldplay, Keane). Not a big fan of Linkin Park, but I do find that interesting, especially when Rubin is thrown into the mix.
Well Minutes to Midnight itself was a departure for Linkin Park, before, they were nu metal with a standard fare of angsty songs filled with heavy guitar, "electronic" mixed beats, and a rap-scream pattern.
But with Minutes to Midnight, they threw out a lot of that. Only one song on the album has the rap-scream pattern. The electronic mixed beats are almost completely gone, the sound is more traditional rock, with nearly half the songs being somewhat slow and ballad-like. Those are the U2-ey songs.
So they didn't sound at all U2-ey before, although maybe they decided to change to that more traditional rock direction, and it just turned out U2ish :shrug: Although Shadow of the Day sounds almost exactly like With or Without You, and I can't fathom how that could be an accident.

Chester or whatever his name is said they listened to The Joshua Tree all through the making of that album.

I saw the video for that new song and I totally agree.

That is LP trying to do quasi-WOWY and I think they failed.
Not a horrible song, just sort of blah.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
Although Shadow of the Day sounds almost exactly like With or Without You, and I can't fathom how that could be an accident.

:crack: That was even more blatant than I expected. :lol: Nice job on their part changing one of the four chords, but playing them in the exact same tempo and structure of the original. :up:

BTW, I'm definitely planning a U2 Christmas special cartoon. It'll be baller. :dance:

U2democrat said:
:lmao:

Oh if there were some way you could send this to U2 so they could see it. Sums a lot of things up.

Forget that it could help the musical direction of the upcoming material; I just want Bono to buy himself a KNEEL chain in real life. :love:

DreamOutLoud13 said:

I loved Minutes to Midnight when it first came out, but I'm pretty sick of it by now. No More Sorrow is easily my favourite, and it just sounds like standard LP :shrug: I applaud LP for trying a new direction, but they definitely were a little overly-U2 about it, and the album just doesn't have staying power for me, save a few songs.

As for the video - top notch as usual :lol: i love how he says he slaves away in the studio 15 minutes a day :wink:

AtomicBono said:
I loved Minutes to Midnight when it first came out, but I'm pretty sick of it by now. No More Sorrow is easily my favourite, and it just sounds like standard LP :shrug: I applaud LP for trying a new direction, but they definitely were a little overly-U2 about it, and the album just doesn't have staying power for me, save a few songs.
Ditto. I barely listen to it at all now. But I agree, No More Sorrow is by far the best song on the album. The pure anger there is just incredible.

LemonMelon said:

BTW, I'm definitely planning a U2 Christmas special cartoon. It'll be baller. :dance:

Nice! I'm looking forward Adam in a bathrobe opening up a delicately wrapped spoon. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom