Pre Release Media Experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmb737

Refugee
I am curious...this is my 5th or 6th release anticipation phase since becoming a u2 fan and to me it seems that there is much less hoopla in the general media.

I understand those of us that frequent the u2 sites daily and post often are very excited and over exposed, but I have yet to really see anything in the major media about this. Not that I have been paying super close attention, but I remember POP mania was unescapable.

Theories? Disagree?

I think it might be in part due to the general down turn in music sales and tour attendance these days (music is just not as big a story as it used to be) but even Rolling Stone in the last issue (give or take) had only a brief comment about it. Much more about Gwen Stefani's solo album.

I must admit, I kind of like it.

The storm is just starting, trust me they will go into full swing as soon as the song hits the radio soon and apparently they have a 17 million dollar budget to promote this album which seems outrageous to me but i'm sure they'll use a big chunk of it.

I actually think the hype that is being fostered is much greater than what has been seen before (though considering this is the first release I've been around for, I may not be in a position to talk). U2 aren't all over the media, but they are right under the surface - people are thinking about them, mentioning them, and the floodgates are straining under the pressure.

I think we're in for something huge.

I think it's quiet because there has been so little in terms of official news. All the media knows is the 1st single info & 6 titles. Nothing much to write about when that's all the info the media really has or allowed to release at this time. This will change when the single is out on radio & the video is played. Also, interviews, promotions, concerts, haven't been done.

It'll be interesting to see if U2 does all those award shows/late night/TRL type performances that they usually shyed away from before ATYCLB.

Last edited:
Axver said:
I actually think the hype that is being fostered is much greater than what has been seen before (though considering this is the first release I've been around for, I may not be in a position to talk). U2 aren't all over the media, but they are right under the surface - people are thinking about them, mentioning them, and the floodgates are straining under the pressure.

I think we're in for something huge.

Axver, I think you're right. It will race from being under the radar to going massive (dare I say nuclear) in a matter of days.
I can't wait!

I basically agree, and I like it that way.

I'm not sure if I really buy the rumor about all those millions of dollars in promotion, but it's certainly possible.

I think it's gonna be similar to Achtung Baby. The heavy promotion might occur between right before the release of the album up until the start of the tour. At least that's how I sort of remember it.

I always have believed that using a good single to start off the album does more for promotion sake than anything else could possibly due. It will be interesting to see if the impact of Vertigo going to radio in 12 days, with a video sometime in October will really launch the media into more coverage, or if the band are planning on playing their cards while the music is available in stores.

I generally think, that if you aren't like all of us diehards, you probably have little to no idea of the new album, unless you are just digging for that info (like we do).

Vertigo is probably gonna get the ball rolling though, not much longer to wait. :)

You know, I honestly believe they needed a lot of money this time around so that they could do this to people who may have heard the album or actually possess actual song clips ---> :silent:

also, usually after a single/album comes out from a big band...there are a lot of late night talk show/trl/etc appearances that get the ball rolling...

Yeah, I think that will happen too, Anirban. Appearances on TV here in America probably most of the late night talk shows, SNL etc.

But I really think Vertigo, if it really sticks with people, even moreso that Beautiful Day did, can really be the catalyst. If i recall correctly, it seemed like Achtung really started heating up in the media and MTV when One started being played on radio and MTV.

The Fly was an interesting start, of course, but it seemed like for me, from my perspective, that a lot of non-U2 fans really started paying attention when One came out. Of course, a lot of people had already bought the album and such, but I believe that music really is the best promotion you can get. It doesn't always work that way, but it seems like it should.

I hope that the video for Vertigo is a bit challenging. Sort of "Even Better Than the Real Thing"-ish. That's why I hope Kevin Godley directs it. Not as much band performance, but maybe some cool effects (not the cheese of Elevation) but moreso, like EBTRTRT or even the One videos.

yeah...i know that i learn of a new release by a big band (who i don't follow as closely as u2) when it comes on tv. i go to univ. of illinois in champaign, il which is in the middle of no where and has no good radio station...so i don't usually find out about new music unless i see it on tv or while browsing the internet. as for the vertigo video, didn't someone say a while ago that it was going to be directed by a "big name" movie director? maybe it'll be a michael jackson style movie-video! (man i hope not!)

U2DMfan said:

I hope that the video for Vertigo is a bit challenging. Sort of "Even Better Than the Real Thing"-ish. That's why I hope Kevin Godley directs it. Not as much band performance, but maybe some cool effects (not the cheese of Elevation) but moreso, like EBTRTRT or even the One videos.

I like EBTTRT as well as Stephan who directed Mysterious Ways as well and I reallty like One with the buffaloes and even the version where they are in the bar. I hope the video uses those directors and is really great that not just hard core U2 fans will like.

Last edited:
we still got about 2 1/2 months until the album comes out, so theres plenty of time, and it will come. u2 are the biggest band in the world, and they are for a reason. The hype will come as soon as Vertigo is released on radio, then more will build up when the video is released, then when u2 start doing the rounds (interviews, shows) more will come. Its just a matter of time, and I cant wait.

I think thats only because there is no official name for the album yet and all we have is a release date. But three have been mentions in the NY Times and Time Magazine. Once the name is released officially, it will probably pick up a bit.

my favorite part about very expensive/over-the-top promotion is when people who wouldn't normally listen to popular music become exposed to it. with a $17 million budget, everyone is going to know u2 has a new album. a lot of people my age (lower 20's) who listen to rock are really into more underground indie/punk/emo/etc type music (i listen to just about everything)...at least around chicago. the greatest feeling i have (during a new release season for u2) is when these "i'm too cool for anything popular" type people hear new u2 and dig it. i remember when atyclb came out...one of my friends who's into emo bands bought the cd and listened to the beginning of beautiful day over and over again cause he couldn't get over the melody when bono sings "...out of this place" (i really like the simple but powerful harmonic steps there too!). i mean, i really love hearing that the album or single is #1...but i think i like it more when people you'd least expect to like u2 end up loving them. for me, that's where all the promotion will pay off...

It won't start full swing until the single- just like pop, ab, r&h, jt, etc. There really isn't big coverage until there is something really tangible to cover. We know very little officially to cover.

That said the one big difference is U2 is not the biggest stars in music anymore. They are still the greatest band, but they are not as big as a lot of other "artists" out now from all different genres. It goes in cycles and while U2 is more important and popular with older crowd than say beyonce or eminem they are not so with the younger target market of most media outlets (like mtv) so they will never get quite the attention that those artists get. Its like someone mention the latest rolling stone and how U2 is almost an after thought playing second to gwen stefani. U2's album will undobutably be far more lasting, and critically acclaimed than gew stefani, but that simply isn't what mtv and rolling stone care about.

U2 had there day when they were the it band with younger fans, as did pearl jam, etc but they are now in a different place (so is musid business- and the genres that are now most profitable). They will have hype and coverage and there tour will be big, but don't be suprised if rolling stone has eminem on the cover and a story about his new album instead of U2.

Last edited:
As a marketing director myself, what U2 is doing before this release is nothing short of brilliant.

When announcing anything for which you want attention, there are two ways to go about it in a marketing context. The first is the slow dribble of information over a long period of time, and the second is the 'bang in your face' approach where everything PR-related gets announced/distributed at once. Clearly, and in retrospect, U2 was concerned about the missing CD because they had put all their eggs in the "bang in your face" approach. With 10 million pounds, the band, I'm sure, is looking to dominate the entertainment and music press well into Spring 2005.

If the album's great, we won't notice. If it's merely good, plenty of people might be getting real tired of U2.

The hype is probably not as high as was seen for AB and Pop, but I think it is definitely higher than ATYCLB when it was still 2.5 months away. I remember before ATYCLB came out, major magazines such as Entertainment Weekly and Rolling Stone were unsure if U2 would still be big coming off of the disappointing US sales of Pop. Now, coming off of the successfull ATYCLB, the expectations are much higher.

I am not counting Zooropa in this comparison as it was kind of a surprise release.

Back
Top Bottom