Pre 1990 vs. post 1990

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jick said:
In 1987 they made an album called The Joshua Tree (not sure if everyone here is old enough to remember that). It's been downhill for U2 since then.

Cheers,

J

I know it's an old post but I just read it. I cant believe no one replied to this statement. I wont even bother to say what I think about it(or the guy who wrote it). Donwnhill since JT? Yeah sure...
AB and zooropa were especially bad records! :huh:

Let me put it this way:

1980's ARE ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND
1990's ARE HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB

Don't understand it as an album list and my opinions of it, but 1980's are the real thing, 1990's are even better than the real thing.
Love them both, but i prefer 1990's like i prefer Hut Dab than ATYCLB.
Abot new millenium, it's to early to tell but it's by now the weakest period for me.(i love it, don't get me wrong)

jick said:
In 1987 they made an album called The Joshua Tree (not sure if everyone here is old enough to remember that). It's been downhill for U2 since then.

Cheers,

J

Again you and again the same answer:
I think that 90's u2 isn't the rock band i loved in the 80's, Popmart sucks, it's not finished:blahblah: :blahblah:

In 1991 U2 made an album called Achtung Baby and in my humble opinion it walks all over Joshua Tree.

U2 were at there most creative and daring during the 1990s which is a lot more difficult then being an emotional yet conservative as far as instermentation goes band in the 1980s.

Unforgettable Fire was U2s most experimental album from that decade, and for that reason it didnt sell quite up to par with its predocesor.

Both decades for me had something to offer and I believe it built the backbone of why U2 are around today. The 80s had truely uplfiting tunes that could make your spirits rise. The 90s had the darkness element, with honest lyrics and U2 getting to know what it is like to be a band of rock stars.

But to break my album rankings down maybe it will help me make a better decision.

1. Achtung Baby 90s
2. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb 2000s
3. Joshua Tree 80s
4. POP 90s
5. All That You Cant Leave Behind 2000s
6. Unforgettable Fire 80s
7. Zooropa 90s
8. Rattle and Hum 80s
9. War 80s
10. Boy 80s
11. October 80s

I guess with that I believe overall that the stronger work was done in the 90s, but U2 of the 80s released many more albums, so that may have affected the quality of them, but they are still fantastic.

I have the albums made in post 2000 rated highly too so if the next album is great maybe this will truely be the best U2 decade for me.

Pero, I agree with you about the 90's being slightly better than the 80's...but you have to admit they have done some wonderful things during the 00's too (Kite, WILATW, COBL, Miracle drug, Mercy, etc., and many awesome B-sides).

I would like to say that while the 90's are simply "the 90's"...
...the80's had two eras, Boy->War era and UF->R&H.

That is why it's dificult for me to answer THAT question (in that form).
Because I like the Boy->War and AB->Pop and HTDAAB better then the rest.

I'll have to trust the math here:
- pre 1990 - I like 4 (Boy->UF) albums, without asking any questions, 100% of the songs on them
-post 1990 - with the same factors as above, I like also 4 albums (AB->Pop+HTDAAB and only leaving ATYCLB behind)

Well, looks like its' a tie![/b]

I like the 90s better because Ultraviolet is such a sweet boyband type song! :love: :heart: It would explain why I also love the mix CD I just made of the Backstreet Boys, NSync, Westlife, Boyzone, Take That, New Kids, Code Red, A1 and Wuss Boys. Oh, also... Ultraviolet is sho shweeeet. :)

Yeah.

Zootlesque said:
I like the 90s better because Ultraviolet is such a sweet boyband type song! :love: :heart: It would explain why I also love the mix CD I just made of the Backstreet Boys, NSync, Westlife, Boyzone, Take That, New Kids, Code Red, A1 and Wuss Boys. Oh, also... Ultraviolet is sho shweeeet. :)

Yeah.

:lol:

Apparently the closing of that other thread isn't enough to slow you down...

Zootlesque said:

Yeah.

HAHAHAHA...man, this is too good. :laugh:
But, Zoo, dont you should know that only Lovetown songs rule?

bathiu said:
I would like to say that while the 90's are simply "the 90's"...
...the80's had two eras, Boy->War era and UF->R&H.

That is why it's dificult for me to answer THAT question (in that form).
Because I like the Boy->War and AB->Pop and HTDAAB better then the rest.

I'll have to trust the math here:
- pre 1990 - I like 4 (Boy->UF) albums, without asking any questions, 100% of the songs on them
-post 1990 - with the same factors as above, I like also 4 albums (AB->Pop+HTDAAB and only leaving ATYCLB behind)

Well, looks like its' a tie!

It would be hard for me to say considering I think the same way about the different eras of U2. Boy- War is fairly different from UF- Rattle & Hum, and etc.

chucky28 said:

HAHAHAHA...man, this is too good. :laugh:
But, Zoo, dont you should know that only Lovetown songs rule?

Uh oh, my bad! I should've known that lovetown pisses all over ultraviolet.

FuManchu...I guess you didnt understand the "boyband" comment made by zootlesque...It was rather sarcastic! :wink:

Zootlesque said:

Don't tell me, my posts struck a nerve!

Well, if you had any memory at all, you'd remember that I have changed my opinion on Ultra Violet.

Axver said:

Well, if you had any memory at all, you'd remember that I have changed my opinion on Ultra Violet.

I don't know what you thought of Ultraviolet before. I'm relatively new here.

Zootlesque said:

I don't know what you thought of Ultraviolet before. I'm relatively new here.

The posts on this old thread are from when I despised Ultra Violet and thought it was the worst song U2 had ever made.

Now the bloody song has grown on me and I like it, except for that horrid "baby, baby, baby, light my way" line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom