Post your U2 Grammy predictions here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I would say there are four likely outcomes.

#1 At the very least, U2 will when for Rock Album and best Pop Performance by group for Stuck.... .

#2 U2 wins 6 of the 7 awards they are up for and only loses for best rock song. The reason is that they have two songs up for that award and the two songs will probably split the U2 vote and allow train to win.

#3 U2 wins all 7 awards they are up for.

#4 U2 wins Album Of The Year, Rock Album Of The Year, Best Rock Performance Of The Year, and best POP performance of the Year for a total of four awards.

I believe number 4 is the most likely. The majority of the media has picked this as the most likely senerio as well. Alicia Keys is going to be tough competion in Record and Song of the year. I still think U2 has a chance though. Rock Song of the Year will be difficult because the U2 vote will be split between two songs. So if I had to place money on it I'd say will win these four awards, but I still think and hope a sweep is possible. Unfortunately if U2 only wins 4 awards, that means Alicia will probably win 5 or 6 and possibly still the #1 spotlight. But remember last year, no one thought U2 could win Song and Record of the year so watch out.

Sting2, I hope you are correct with your predictions. I have a bad feeling about album of the year though. Think back to 1993 when U2 was a near lock for album of the year with Achtung Baby. A rock legend (Eric Clapton) wins instead. Flash forward to 2002, going up against another rock legend Mr. Dylan. Either that or we are going to see the Alicia Keyes landslide on all counts. The Grammy's seems to go in patterns. Last year was a U2 grammy year, I dont think they will be as kind this year. I wish the album would have been eligible for last years awards as it would have definately won album of the year then. I have serious doubdts now. I hope I'am wrong though.

Originally posted by U2DMfan:
Sting I have read basically everywhere that U2 are up for 8 grammy's, not 7, is this correct?

Yep! It's India Arie that has 7
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
O yeah yeah yeah

------------------
~*Mona*~
ani_bono.gif

LOVE me, give me SOUL

Kick start my rock 'n rollin? heart. ~J.E.W.

"I think I just said I was smart there - I'm sorry about that." ~Bono

"I...I had a one night stand with the Discoteque video" ~Mona
The Man Corral

Originally posted by STING2:
Post your U2 Grammy predictions here!

some bling is flashed. hushed debate about the cut of the dresses rages on. everyone sucks. U2 doesn't. some awards get handed out. alicia keys and U2 sell a ton of albums the following day.

Originally posted by U2DMfan:
Sting I have read basically everywhere that U2 are up for 8 grammy's, not 7, is this correct?

U2 have eight nominations, but in one of the catagories Walk On is competing against Stuck in a Moment. So they could only win seven awards.

I'd go with option number four.....probaby those four grammys

------------------
Live As If You'll Die Tomorrow, Dream As If You'll Live Forever

Dylan is a strong contender. I have read a lot of critics and media on this and I think only one picked Dylan to win. The vast majority pick U2 to win, but say the sleeper would be if Dylan and U2 divide the rock vote and that soundtrack would then win. But still they all say bet on U2 for Album Of The Year.

I'll go with 4.

Isn't it weird that they have two nominations in one category? Isn't that very unusual?

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

Yep, it is strange but possible. Happened to Michael Jackson in 1983. Song of The Year, he had two songs Beat It and Billie Jean. Michael lost though to the POLICE for Every Breath You Take.

Originally posted by kobayashi:
some bling is flashed. hushed debate about the cut of the dresses rages on. everyone sucks. U2 doesn't. some awards get handed out. alicia keys and U2 sell a ton of albums the following day.

hahaha, you're probably not far off.

Sure, Dylan is a legend, but unlike ten years ago, U2 are now placed into the same "legendary" (read: old) box as him by most people. My bet is three, maybe four awards... but all you can really be sure of is that some female star will try to out-Lopez Jennifer Lopez's green dress in the bare-flesh stakes,
smile.gif

I think U2 WILL win TWO Grammy Awards. Maybe three at most. Here are some scenarios:

#1:

Best Rock Album
Best Pop Performance by Group (for Stuck)

#2:

Album of the Year

#3:

Album of the Year
Best Rock Album

Least likely:

Album of the Year
Song of the Year
Best Rock Album

OR

Album of the Year
Song of the Year

I feel very strongly U2 will not win Record of the Year for Walk On. Considering that, it will be very unlikely and surprising if they win Song of the Year.

I think U2 WILL win Grammys Wednesday night, and that is good enough for me. I will be REAL bummed if they dont get Album of the Year though!

I say Album of the year, Rock album of the year and one of the songs will win.

3 Grammys.

------------------
"U2 is like a sonic house: Larry and Adam are the foundation, Edge is all the floors and Bono is the rooftop."
- Me

Here are the categories U2 are nominated in, the contenders and my predictions:
  1. Song of the Year: "Drops of Jupiter," Charlie Colin, Rob Hotchkiss, Pat Monahan, Jimmy Stafford and Scott Underwood (Train); "Fallin'," Alicia Keys (Alicia Keys); "I'm Like a Bird," Nelly Furtado (Nelly Furtado); "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of," U2 (U2); "Video," India.Arie, Carlos "Six July" Broady and Shannon Sanders (India.Arie).

My Prediction: Song of the Year goes to the song-writers for the "best" song released that year. I have always felt that Grammy voters go with releases from veteran artists or those that have made an impact. While "Stuck..." is a very strong song from a veteran act, I think the bigger impact came from "Fallin'" by Alicia Keys. Given the fact that U2 won this category last year, there may also be a push for another artist - such as Keys - to win. Additionally, Song of the Year is almost always the same as Record of the Year. The fact that U2 do not have the same song nominated in both categories hurts them. The Song of the Year award comes first, so if Keys wins here, expect her to win again for Record of the Year.
  2. Record of the Year: "Video," India.Arie; "Fallin'," Alicia Keys; "Ms. Jackson," OutKast; "Drops of Jupiter," Train; "Walk On," U2

My Prediction: Record of the Year goes to the artists who recorded the "best" record released during the year (hence the distinction between Song and Record of the Year). While "Walk On" is once again a very strong song from a veteran act, I think the bigger impact (in terms of charts, sales, air play, people's moods, etc.) came from "Fallin'" by Keys. As I wrote above, if Keys wins for Song of the Year, expect her to win for Record of the Year as well. I would be quite surprised if these two awards were given to different songs (it has happened, but it's a rarity). Also, as stated above, given the fact that U2 won this category last year, expect Keys to win.
  3. Album of the Year: "Love and Theft," Bob Dylan; "Acoustic Soul," India.Arie; "Stankonia," OutKast; "All That You Can't Leave Behind," U2; "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" soundtrack, various artists.

My Prediction: Some "critics" have claimed that Dylan's and OutKast's respective albums and the "O Brother..." composite were better than ATYCLB. I disagree. The "O Brother..." composite is strong, but the material is not original. Dylan just won Album of the Year in '98 and some may feel it is too soon to give him this prestigious award again - especially since some of his strongest material was released back in the 60's. I would be stunned to see OutKast win here, as I don't think the Academy is quite ready to give this award to a hip-hop/rap/rap-rock type album. I also think that OutKast can do better recordings. As such, OutKast may win in the years to come, just not this year. In contrast, ATYCLB, IMO, is one of U2's best releases ever. Its prescient ability to capture the zeitgeist of the world, especially post Sept. 11th, is incredible. ATYCLB is a very strong album, with a huge impact, from a veteran act. Plus, the album has sold very well, charting in the U.S. Top 40 well over a year after its release. As such, I feel this is a win for U2.
  4. Rock Album: "Gold," Ryan Adams; "Just Push Play," Aerosmith; "Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea," PJ Harvey; "Hybrid Theory," Linkin Park; "All That You Can't Leave Behind," U2.

My Prediction: Ryan Adams is over-hyped and a bit "too new" to the scene to win. Aerosmith's last effort was hardly their best and it was quickly forgotten. Linkin Park's metal-rap may sell well, but it is not quality material. PJ Harvey is sadly under-hyped. Also, some of Harvey's strongest material was on prior releases. Therefore, I feel U2 should win here as well.
  5. Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal: "Shape of My Heart," Backstreet Boys; "Superman (It's Not Easy)," Five For Fighting; "Gone," 'N Sync; "Imitation of Life," R.E.M.; "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of," U2.

My Prediction: I would like to go with U2 here, but I wonder if "Stuck..." is really "pop enough" to win this award. This may actually be a year where the Backstreet Boys or 'N Sync win a Grammy! My guess is Backstreet Boys as "Shape..." is a clever, romantic pop song. However, if this really turns into a "U2 night" - they may win here as well.
  6. Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal: "Jaded," Aerosmith; "Yellow," Coldplay; "The Space Between," Dave Matthews Band; "Drops of Jupiter," Train; "Elevation," U2.

My Prediction: The Rock Performance award is similar to the Record of the Year award - it is given to the artist who records the "best" rock song of the year. In my opinion, U2 clearly have the best rock performance on that list. However, Train's "Drops of Jupiter" has been overplayed to the extreme, which may help them snag the award. More importantly though, Coldplay's "Yellow" is well liked and quite popular. As such, I predict Coldplay to win. However, again, if this turns into a "U2 night" we may see a U2 victory in this category as well.
  7. Rock Song: "Drops of Jupiter," Charlie Colin, Rob Hotchkiss, Pat Monahan, Jimmy Stafford and Scott Underwood (Train); "Elevation," U2 (U2), "Jaded," Marti Frederiksen and Steven Tyler (Aerosmith); "Walk On," U2 (U2); "Yellow," Guy Berryman, Jon Buckland, Will Champion and Chris Martin (Coldplay).

My Prediction: The Rock Song award is similar to the Song of the Year award - it is given to the song-writers of the "best" rock song released during the year. While it is an honor to have U2 nominated twice, this just hurt their chances for winning this category. The two songs will split the vote, leaving room for another artist to capture the award. If Coldplay wins for Rock Performance, then I predict a win here for Rock Song as well. However, if U2 can snag a win for Rock Performance with "Elevation" they may win the Rock Song award for "Elevation" as well.
    [/list=a]
    Summary: I predict Album of the Year and Rock Album of the Year for U2. I see Keys winning for Record and Song of the Year. I see Coldplay winning for Rock Performance and Song of the Year. Lastly, I actually see the Backstreet Boys finally snagging a Grammy for Pop Song. But, as I wrote several times above, if this turns into a "U2 night", U2 may also win the two Rock Song categories and maybe even the Pop Song category. I'd be surprised though if U2 once again win Record and Song of the Year.

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 02-26-2002).]

Originally posted by candyfloss:
U2 have eight nominations, but in one of the catagories Walk On is competing against Stuck in a Moment. So they could only win seven awards.

I believe that this is incorrect....Walk On and Elevation are both nominated in the best Rock song category. Walk On is nominated for record of the year and Stuck is nominated for song of the year. And if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me
biggrin.gif

It makes me REAL nervous that so many media writers out there predict a "sure thing" for U2 when it comes to Album of the Year. Grammy voters have come up with some real suprises the last few years (of course, we all think of Steely Dan last year). I wouldn't bet on anything!

Remember last year, most people here kind of gave U2 a snowballs chance on winning anything. Most of us would have been suprised if BD had won one award. I think we should approach the 2002 Grammies the same way.

Isn't it interesting how U2 is everybody's darlings these days????

Originally posted by jezebel:
I believe that this is incorrect....Walk On and Elevation are both nominated in the best Rock song category. Walk On is nominated for record of the year and Stuck is nominated for song of the year. And if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me
biggrin.gif

You are correct. And in my post above, I have listed all of the categories in which U2 are nominated.

This is a long shot, but I predict 5 wins out of a possible 7.

They'll take album of the year and all the small categories (Walk On beating Elevation), but they'll lose record and song to Alicia.

This is a bold and rather improbable prediciton, but who cares?
biggrin.gif

------------------
MESH RULES!!!!!
(thanks to Bono's American Wife)

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

Originally posted by Blue Room:
Sting2, I hope you are correct with your predictions. I have a bad feeling about album of the year though. Think back to 1993 when U2 was a near lock for album of the year with Achtung Baby. A rock legend (Eric Clapton) wins instead. Flash forward to 2002, going up against another rock legend Mr. Dylan. Either that or we are going to see the Alicia Keyes landslide on all counts. The Grammy's seems to go in patterns. Last year was a U2 grammy year, I dont think they will be as kind this year. I wish the album would have been eligible for last years awards as it would have definately won album of the year then. I have serious doubdts now. I hope I'am wrong though.

The two differences are that, as Saracene pointed out, U2 are now themselves somewhat in the "legend" category.

Moreover, Dylan doesn't have anything remotely close to the karma rolling into this that Clapton had. A dead son and hit song about aforementioned son? U2 obviously should have won Album of the Year (hell, a number of people probably could have been better choices), but there was no overcoming the Clapton vibe that year.

To be honest, I've seen more predictions for Dylan than I expected, but I'd still be moderately surprised if he won. U2 is both a "safe" choice AND a popular choice among the masses, something Dylan isn't (in terms of sales & airplay), plus Dylan won the award in '97, so he isn't that far removed. If a given voter was torn between the two that won't help his chances.

[This message has been edited by MSU2mike (edited 02-26-2002).]

I heard Incubus' predictions on the radio this morning. They predicted NSYNC would sweep the Grammys, taking all catagories including best femal performer.

I am going to have to agree with them.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Hey, I dont claim to be an expert and I realize the situation between Dylan and Clapton is completely different. What is the same though is that alot of so called experts were predicting Achtung Baby to win and it did not. So far most people think ATYCLB is going to win. I'am just saying be ready for the unexpected. Yes, U2 are in the legend category but Bob Dylan is obviously a bigger legend. I forgot who but someone said on another post that Dylan and U2 may pull votes away from each other allowing another artist to take it. This is a very plausible scenario IMO. I guess we will just have to wait and see. I hope I'am wrong and I obviously think ATYCLB should win album of the year.

Call me crazy, and I may be. But I didn't think that Achtung was even nominated for "Album of the Year" only Best Rock album which it won.

Achtung was the front runner in the album of the year award but lost when an Eric Clapton sweep developed at the Grammy's.

Hey Crazy,
wink.gif
Achtung was definately nominated for Album of The Year. Just about every publication I read back then indicated it was a lock for album of the year. Well, you know the rest.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 02-26-2002).]

Bill Flanagan did his analysis for Album of the Year on CBS Sunday Morning this weekend and it went like this:

He believed that the voting split would be

O brother & Dylan (the folk voters)
Alicia Key & Indie.Arie (the R&B voters)
Outkast (out because the grammy voters weren't ready to vote for a rap album)

Leaving U2 to win, (all other voters)

He advised all of those people that had lost all of their money because of the Enron collapse should quickly go to Vegas and bet the farm.

(Then he said that he has been a close friend of U2 for 20 years so maybe he was a little prejudiced.)

Hey Crazy,
wink.gif
Achtung was definately nominated for Album of The Year. Just about every publication I read back then indicated it was a lock for album of the year. Well, you know the rest.

And it SHOULD have won the award too. After all, I bet even a person moderately familiar with popular music can recall a song from AB, but name a song from that Clapton album. Heck, I can't even remember its name!

I think the fact that AB didn't win allowed U2 to win with "Zooropa" - and it may help them win with ATYCLB.

I also think that their Best Album win with JT was another reason why AB didn't get the same award. It's only been four years since JT's win, no band has ever won two Best Album Grammys and U2 were still relatively young, so maybe some people thought along the lines of "too much, too soon".

A rock legend (Eric Clapton) wins instead. Flash forward to 2002, going up against another rock legend Mr. Dylan.

Two totally different scenarios. Most people sympathized with Eric Clapton's tragic loss, whereas Bob Dylan has no such emotional pull this year, as great as he is.

I stand corrected!
smile.gif

I agree with saracene on that point. It is a shame that artists get passed by on big awards because they are actually TOO talented. Noone should put out 2 classic, mindblowing albums within 4 years of eachother
wink.gif

Anyway, as for predictions. I hope we aren't all setting ourselves up for huge dissapointment, but I predict that U2 will win at least 3, including Album, Rock Album, and Pop performance. The only other possibility I see is Walk On for Rock Song, but the vote could be split with Elevation (again too much talent hurting them).

Keys will win at least 3 with Song, Record, and Best New Artist. Probably 4 because i think she's also up for best R&B artist too.

India.Aire will be hard pressed to get one tonight, but I hope she sneaks at least one away from Keys.

Can't wait to see it all unfold. Please GOD don't let us be hugely dissapointed!!
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom