Post your reviews/thoughts/comments etc about ZooTV here!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Girl416 said:
I will never stop wishing I made it to a Zoo TV show. :drool:

I did make it, to Zoo TV Roundhay Park 1993. But as good as Zoo TV was I think that Popmart Roundhay Park 1997 is the best show I ever went to. But having said that both tours have never been surpassed and never will be. Gotta say the Manchester Vertigo show that i went to was like watching a tribute band compared to the 90's tours!:wink:

J_NP said:

Well as much as I like ZOOTV , Popmart kills the versions of the songs ........

Until the end is way more wild and rocker
Real Thing there's not even comparision ...........

And One

:drool:

Just watch popmart mexico , and listen the thunders that come out of Edge's guitar
I hate Bono's vocals on UTEOTW and EBTTRT on the Popmart shows!

So, watched both disks + easter eggs by now.

By far their best DVD. Superb colours and sound, in particular drums and guitar, but also nice bass and most of all Bono's voice sounds like he is right there in the room as you watch. And not that I had any major problems with Hamish Hamilton but that's how it's done with directing.

randy5554 said:

I hate Bono's vocals on UTEOTW and EBTTRT on the Popmart shows!

And I love the band's sound on them :drool: :drool:

And find nothin wrong with the vocals :shrug:

Hi J_NP,

Nah i didn't really notice any camera different angles, to me it was just like the video expect DVd has better quality.

and I have watched the video so many times.

I dont understand this part of the lemons you are all talking about , I have the plain version and the deluxe.
Can anyone explain, how it works please.

ponkine said:

Do you hate Bono's vocals from Popmart SHOWS ... or from Popmart Mexico City? :hmm:
I've listened to at least 10 Popmart versions of those 2 songs (including Mexico City), and I just don't really like the altered complexion in the vocals for them. But I can understand why others might like them more.

trayzee said:
Hi J_NP,

Nah i didn't really notice any camera different angles, to me it was just like the video expect DVd has better quality.

and I have watched the video so many times.

I dont understand this part of the lemons you are all talking about , I have the plain version and the deluxe.
Can anyone explain, how it works please.

Lemons ..... ??? :huh:

W'this about ......... :hmm:

thelaj said:
Audio quality is excellent (only tried it on stereo so far), with Adam's bass pretty high in the mix, and Edge somewhat lower than you might imagine.

Picture is very good for a 13year old video, but won't match the newer ones (Boston, Slane, Chicago) for sharpness.

Roll on Milano.

The audio is very good. It shines at the end of mysterious ways and one.

The video seems to be from the laserdisc masters (I got a DVD rip of the laserdisc version in a trade a few years back). Like the laserdisc version, the colours are oversaturated/blown out in many shots (although not all of them, perhaps they pulled some better video sources where they could). Its unfortunate, because the Japanese DVD bootleg (with subtitles) has much better picture quality (although that version does have a slight double vision).

Seems like this is a different cut from the two previous pro-shot versions available. I felt that there was a little bit more cutting in and out during mysterious ways especially.

I haven't watched the original versions in a while but either they changed the cut to show more of the light show, or they enhanced the colours quite a bit, and it makes the lights look similar to what was during the Elevation/Vertigo tours.

edit: heres some pics that I posted
http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/bcrt2000/zoo tv dvd/

Note that the interlacing/mice teeth artifcating is because my regular DVD player software wasn't working at the time so I had to use worse software.

I've watched more of the DVD and I've noticed that they've included a lot of unedited mistakes compared to the original. Either that, or the sound definition is making me hear more things, like the horrible guitar playing at the end of dirty day by Bono/just before the start of Bullet.

If you are using PowerDVD 7 on your PC to play the DVD, try enabling nvidia purevideo, it smooths out the frame rate greatly, looks MUCH better.

Last edited:
Man, what a difference some quality directing makes. I bought the dvd a few days ago. I actually had never seen this before, so it was an awesome experience to watch a U2 concert dvd and not feel disappointed because of the crap directing (for the love of God, ditch Hamish already!). I honestly had a few goosebump moments (RTSS Hallelujahs and the transition into Streets for starters...).

Great show, great directing and great sound. :up: :up:

Watched the DVD some more. I wish they would fire whoever mastered the encoding for this and for vertigo chicago. Theres a lot of encoding noise, and dot crawl (although good TV's/DVD players should clean up the dot crawl). Elevation still is the best DVD out there when it comes to picture quality.

bcrt2000 said:
Watched the DVD some more. I wish they would fire whoever mastered the encoding for this and for vertigo chicago. Theres a lot of encoding noise, and dot crawl (although good TV's/DVD players should clean up the dot crawl). Elevation still is the best DVD out there when it comes to picture quality.

Yeah or Rattle and Hum.

Diemen said:
Man, what a difference some quality directing makes. I bought the dvd a few days ago. I actually had never seen this before, so it was an awesome experience to watch a U2 concert dvd and not feel disappointed because of the crap directing (for the love of God, ditch Hamish already!). I honestly had a few goosebump moments (RTSS Hallelujahs and the transition into Streets for starters...).

Great show, great directing and great sound. :up: :up:

Hamish Hamilton is a brilliant director!

Yes Chicago is very average, but I think it was an experiment and a fuck up.

I mean look at Slane or Boston, frickin brilliant and Milan looks awesome too.

It is true that ZOO Tv was brilliant but if Hamish directed it, it might have well been even a better shoot.
Unfortunately he was probably 14 at the time

:madspit:

Last edited:
HH isn't that bad. At least we're getting DVDs! But I must admit, the filming in BtBS/RtSS/WtSHNN was brilliant.

Just a couple of questions, what songs were used in the show opening? I know I heard Zooropa and God Save the Queen.

While I was ripping the DVD to my comp, it came up with a 25-minute interview I had never seen before, does anyone know what this is? An easter egg maybe?

I wonder why so few of you, who praised the directing, mentioned New Years day. That's directing, people. Hamish Hamilton should be locked up in a room and forced to see that shot millions of times and not be allowed to leave the room before he could do it just as well.

Have seen every tour since the Joshua Tree...and I saw the ZooTV five times

Both indoors and outdoors....ZooTV was, by far, the best and most original concert and tour by this band and any band.

I can proudly say that I held up Bono twice that tour while he sang Until The End of the World. Best U2 related moments of my life....and I've met Bono and that even that doesn't compare to those ZooTV moments.

Something to do with total, complete sensory overload.:drool: :drool:

Just a couple of questions, what songs were used in the show opening? I know I heard Zooropa and God Save the Queen.

While I was ripping the DVD to my comp, it came up with a 25-minute interview I had never seen before, does anyone know what this is? An easter egg maybe?

COBL_04 said:
On the first disc or the second disc? And what was the interview like?
As far as I know, there are three easter eggs on the second disc: The timelapse stage setup, the 'atomic bomb' one, and the really good Interference History Mix thingy one.

Okay I'm super lazy today and I really want to know how to find out how to get the eater egg stage one..

Anyone help?

Plus I want to do this on a computer..Can I do that?

I bought it 2 weeks ago... I find it amazing to see such technological wizardry in 1993. Amazing.

There are alot of things I found amazing on the 2-disc set ($31.99 @ JB HiFi), but there were some things which didn't seem to go right (in concert):

1. The Edge doesn't play Running To Standstill right.... seems a bit rigid.

2. Start of Lemon.... Adam stuffs up, goes down one tone too many on the opening riff. *throws a brick*

3. Did they really need to focus so much on The Edge doing his solo in Love Is Blindness? Kinda annoying.

4. I got the Adelaide ZooTV performance, and the directing was crap, but RTSS/WTSHNN was really amazing, and Bono sung Amazing Grace in the middle of the songs. This time he didn't, and the chord progression was crap, even though they nailed it in Adelaide. Go figure.

5. Why on earth couldn't they remove that forsakenly annoying buzz when the lights come on at the start of Streets???? Is it really that hard? I know about the power needed for the lights, but there could be some audio post-editing.

6. They could've included more of that rap at the start of the concert... Who did that anyways? It sounds excellent, to say the least.

Rating: 9/10. I love it. Seriously. The above is a required whinge just to point out some stuff.

Thought: Why couldn't they have included a multi-angle option? Jamiroquai did it on Live In Verona (2003), and it isn't something new....

PietroChocko said:
6. They could've included more of that rap at the start of the concert... Who did that anyways? It sounds excellent, to say the least.

Television, The Drug of A Nation by Disposable Heroes of Hiphopracy.

Michael Franti's pre-Spearhead outfit.

Back
Top Bottom