Post your reviews/thoughts/comments etc about ZooTV here!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ponkine said:

It's pretty weird my friend, you know, I've listened to MANY With Or Without you versions from Zoo TV :angel: and I'm pretty sure it was an Adam mistake. All the other versions from 1992-1993 I've heard don't end like that, with the crescendo. Rather, they end pretty much like they did on Joshua Tree and Lovetown Tour :shrug:

One of the most clear things that makes me believe it was an adam mistake is that Bono turns around to see Adam with that face expression !:macdevil: Why exactly in that moment Bono turns around to see Adam? :hmm: That Bono reaction is spontaneus and makes me believe they didn't plan that ending.

Exactly , but just like all the others , the real version of WOWY was played with Edge using his black strat , and Larry doing his classic beat , if they were to play it like that and end the song in classic way :

1- Edge wouldn't be using his Les Paul in Sydney
2- Larry wouldn't do that slowr 1-2 beating in Sydney

It wasn't Adam who changed the ending , the ending was changed

Yet again , that face is Bono like Mac that's all ............

I bought it Tuesday but haven't watched it yet. :reject: My wisdom teeth come out today, so I figured this weekend will be a great time to curl up with some Zoo TV. :hyper:

Don't get me wrong :scream:

What I try to say by pointing out Adam mistake on With Or Without You is the amazing ability to perform live in those days :camera:

Also there're another mistakes on that concert, like Bono singing out of rhythm with the band at the end of UTEOTT and when Bono sing "In The ... oh oh oh oh" at the end of Pride, or when Edge start playing the guitar solo on New Year's Day faster than the rest of the band :shh:

But those moments don't eclipe the greatness of the show :rockon:

Hmmm. I don't think there was any mistake made in WOWOY and Bono's expression was in the Macphisto Character. he makes that face numerous times when in character. Anways......

I think my favorite performance on the dvd is Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed car. I just love it. In fact the whole encore with Mr. Macphisto is the best part of the concert in my opinion.

ponkine said:
Don't get me wrong :scream:

What I try to say by pointing out Adam mistake on With Or Without You is the amazing ability to perform live in those days :camera:

But those moments don't eclipe the greatness of the show :rockon:

Pero mi hermano , fo fue un erro , foi planejado , haces isto , consegues el bootleg del sydney show del 26 , e escuchas como elllos tocan la musica

This is like a joke , in the day Amazon is selling ZOOTV for 16 dollares , Deluxe , The pre-sale in Brazil is chargind around 43 dollars for it .........

Can someone call the police ?

i bought the two disc version with the stickers and all, but i'm really curious to know how the booklet for the single disc version is different.
can someone who bought the single disc version tell me what you guys got in your booklet instead of stickers? the booklet looked just as thick as the other one. did you get just more pages of pictures? or did you get stickers as well?

:drool: I just saw Zoo TV for the first time ever; it's unlike anything I've ever seen. Mr. MacPhisto is so incredible and all the Zooropa songs just mean something extra to me now! They just seem to come to life when they're played live:heart: That was such a great show... I just wish I hadn't been too young to really be there.

BoyStupidBoy88 said:

"What were you focusing on while filming Bono"
"His di..."
:lol:

:lmao: I had to rewind that to make sure I heard her right!!

I haven't watched the actual concert yet but I've watched the VHS plenty enough anyway. I watched the extras today. They were cool but there was nothing spectacular imo. Glad to have the concert on DVD finally though, and I totally want to use those stickers for something.

bobert16 said:
:drool: I just saw Zoo TV for the first time ever; it's unlike anything I've ever seen. Mr. MacPhisto is so incredible and all the Zooropa songs just mean something extra to me now! They just seem to come to life when they're played live:heart: That was such a great show... I just wish I hadn't been too young to really be there.

I hear ya, I wish I could have gone and seen them.. It's brilliant that show, to think it was 13 years ago is amazing

tuwie said:
i bought the two disc version with the stickers and all, but i'm really curious to know how the booklet for the single disc version is different.
can someone who bought the single disc version tell me what you guys got in your booklet instead of stickers? the booklet looked just as thick as the other one. did you get just more pages of pictures? or did you get stickers as well?
It has no stickers or Zoo dollar replicas. Just lots of nice pictures and some text. I don't have the deluxe booklet to compare, so I don't know if the standard booklet has extra photos or not.

Why did Bono think the band would never play live again simply because Adam missed one concert hungover?

randy5554 said:
Why did Bono think the band would never play live again simply because Adam missed one concert hungover?

Hello and welcome to the forum! :wave:

I think it has to do with Bono (and probably the rest of the band too) not wanting to lose a member as a 'rock casualty'. They're friends first and a band second. If the life on the road would ask too much of someone, then I think they'd stop before any disaster would strike.
Adam had a problem with alcohol. He missed a concert because he was too hungover. What would happen the next time he drank too much? If touring caused this, then I can imagine U2 not wanting to tour again. It wouldn't be worth it.

Actually, at times I'm really surprised at the strength the band has during a tour. Whenever they tour, bad luck seems to follow them. During Popmart some close collaborators of them of that period died (Allen Ginsberg, William Burroughs and Roy Lichtenstein). True, all three were at an advanced age, but still...
During Elevation it was Bono's dad and now during Vertigo it's probably Edge's daughter. Though she thankfully didn't die, she was seriously ill.
Next time, I'd be scared to go on a tour.

Popmartijn said:

Hello and welcome to the forum! :wave:

I think it has to do with Bono (and probably the rest of the band too) not wanting to lose a member as a 'rock casualty'. They're friends first and a band second. If the life on the road would ask too much of someone, then I think they'd stop before any disaster would strike.
Adam had a problem with alcohol. He missed a concert because he was too hungover. What would happen the next time he drank too much? If touring caused this, then I can imagine U2 not wanting to tour again. It wouldn't be worth it.

Actually, at times I'm really surprised at the strength the band has during a tour. Whenever they tour, bad luck seems to follow them. During Popmart some close collaborators of them of that period died (Allen Ginsberg, William Burroughs and Roy Lichtenstein). True, all three were at an advanced age, but still...
During Elevation it was Bono's dad and now during Vertigo it's probably Edge's daughter. Though she thankfully didn't die, she was seriously ill.
Next time, I'd be scared to go on a tour.
Thanks for the nice answer and welcome message!

Zoo Tv on Dvd, brings back all the memories when I actually saw it with my own eyesway back in 94.

I have had the video as well , and the dvd just has better quality.

I feel for all you out there who never got the chance to see it live..
personally I think U2 were at their best then.

No Concert even U2s is gonna top Zoo Tv for me.

It was fantastic to be part of it.

trayzee said:
Zoo Tv on Dvd, brings back all the memories when I actually saw it with my own eyesway back in 94.

I have had the video as well , and the dvd just has better quality.

I feel for all you out there who never got the chance to see it live..
personally I think U2 were at their best then.

No Concert even U2s is gonna top Zoo Tv for me.

It was fantastic to be part of it.

Mate , did you notice any different cam angles between the VHS and DVD ?

I bought this on Tuesday at Best Buy, but didn't watch it until this afternoon because I was so busy and wanted to save it for a lazy day when I didn't have anything else to do so I could savor it.

I never got around to buying the VHS version and I never went to see Zoo TV, so I've never seen an entire show - just clips and stuff, plus reading about it in U2 At the End of the World, etc. It was so great to see what it was really like! U2 were so ahead of their time. I just wish we could have seen Bono calling George Bush I on the Zoo TV phone or ordering pizza. Those should have been extras!

The extras they did have were good, but could have been a lot better. I haven't tried to access the Easter eggs yet, though.

The sound was amazing! With most DVDs I have to have the volume turned up all the way, but I had to dial it back for this because it was so loud on full volume I was afraid I'd annoy the neighbors.

Finally got mine in the mail last Weds afternoon. I never had the VHS version, either (first b/c of $$, then b/c I got rid of my old VCR!), but I had memories of seeing Zoo live to go on. I saw the show in Vegas Nov 92. It was my first concert. And it was the most amazing, loud, overwhelming thing EVER. Since then I've seen them three more times--the last time was last Dec in Cleveland, and my sister and I were at the rail outside the ellipse. So it's a toss-up, which was more amazing.

I'm loving the DVD, but I have to agree with someone way upthread that it's unfortunate that a TV screen can't bring the bigness of the whole thing to you. The Elevation and Vertigo DVDs bring those concerts in because of the more intimate settings of those stages. Whoever came up with the circular (or heart-shaped) catwalks was brilliant. Though many people are at the back of the hall, the catwalk extending out like that into the audience brings everyone in the place up close to the band.

Though ZOO had a catwalk that extended far into the audience, the show didn't have that intimate feeling. So it went for BIG. And big doesn't translate well onto small screens.

I sound like I'm complaining, but I'm not! I think it's just that I the Elevation and Vertigo DVDs give me a close reminder of what seeing those shows was like, while watching the ZOO DVD is sort of like watching the tape of a show I never attended!

Curious to know how I'll feel when Pop finally gets to DVD (talk about BIG!)

But I've got to say that by far the best is seeing Macphisto. I saw this part of the show while at the Rock Hall a couple of years ago (they played this concert, Rattle & Hum, and something else I can't remember in the theater) and have been dying to see it again--and now I can watch it whenever I like! Yay!

Bonochick said:
I bought it Tuesday but haven't watched it yet. :reject: My wisdom teeth come out today, so I figured this weekend will be a great time to curl up with some Zoo TV. :hyper:

Ouch...I had mine out last holidays. I spent 10 days on the couch.

COBL_04 said:
Can someone explain MacPhisto to me? Is he meant to be a representation of the Devil?

Sunday hungover to lazy to explain myself so here's from wikipedia

MacPhisto was imagined by Bono to be a corrupted future version of the Fly character who had become an amalgam of The Devil (heavily drawing from the Pegleg character in Tom Waits' "The Black Rider") and Las Vegas-era Elvis Presley-style crooner. (This character would subsequently figure prominently in the 1995 music video for "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" lifted from the soundtrack of the movie Batman Forever. The video featured an animated version of Bono as a rock star battling between two personas: the Fly and MacPhisto, which was intended to parallel the conflict between Bruce Wayne's ordinary playboy persona and his crime-fighting Batman persona.)

The MacPhisto speech at the Sydney 1993 concert was one of irony, blurring the question of whether MacPhisto is meant to be a corrupted rock star or a representation of the actual Devil:

My time among you is nearly over...Before I go, I have some messages for the world. People of America, I gave you Bill Clinton - I put him on CNN, NBC, C-Span. Too tall to be a despot, but watch him closely. People of Asia, your time is coming - without your transistors, none of this [gestures to Zoo TV stage set] would be possible. People of Europe - when I came among you, you were squabbling like children. Now you're all hooked up to one cable, as close together as stations on a dial.
People of the former Soviet Union - I gave you capitalism, so now you can all dream of being as wealthy and glamorous as me.
People of Sarajevo, count your blessings ... There are people all over the world who have food, heat and security, but they're not on TV like you are.
Frank Sinatra, I give you the MTV demographic; Salman Rushdie, I give you decibels. Goodbye Squidgy, I hope they give you Wales; goodbye, Michael; goodbye all you neo-nazis, I hope they give you Auschwitz. [5]

vaz02 said:

7/10

Slane castle is better in my opinion however if i was to suggest a DVD to a non u2 friend i would suggest ZOO TV because it gives u2 more strings to their bow.

Zoo TV shows a band at the peak of their powers and never reached since. Slane Castle is nowhere near on a level of where Zoo TV got to. The sound mix of this DVD is superb for an older concert and the seperation on a dolby digital music system is superb. Love is Blindness is out of this world and thats just one example, the other Achtung Baby tracks have never sounded as good as this, live. It reminds me of how good and original U2 once were. Never mind the 2000 onwards DVD releases, Zoo TV is the standout DVD release in U2's catalogue. What they should have done also was put the full Zoo TV special on the DVD as well, and not just tryin and Desire. Now that would have been out of this world.:wink:

is the audio from the dvd available, if it isn't I'll do it, but if anyone knows of a link could you please post it

rjhbonovox said:

Zoo TV shows a band at the peak of their powers and never reached since. Slane Castle is nowhere near on a level of where Zoo TV got to. The sound mix of this DVD is superb for an older concert and the seperation on a dolby digital music system is superb. Love is Blindness is out of this world and thats just one example, the other Achtung Baby tracks have never sounded as good as this, live. It reminds me of how good and original U2 once were. Never mind the 2000 onwards DVD releases, Zoo TV is the standout DVD release in U2's catalogue. What they should have done also was put the full Zoo TV special on the DVD as well, and not just tryin and Desire. Now that would have been out of this world.:wink:

Slane is better than Sydney in my opinion.

Slane reaches many places where this DVD never reached.

rjhbonovox said:

the other Achtung Baby tracks have never sounded as good as this, live.

Well as much as I like ZOOTV , Popmart kills the versions of the songs ........

Until the end is way more wild and rocker
Real Thing there's not even comparision ...........

And One

:drool:

Just watch popmart mexico , and listen the thunders that come out of Edge's guitar

J_NP said:

Well as much as I like ZOOTV , Popmart kills the versions of the songs ........

Until the end is way more wild and rocker
Real Thing there's not even comparision ...........

And One

:drool:

Just watch popmart mexico , and listen the thunders that come out of Edge's guitar

I would agree that Popmart was a better sounding tour and I for one is awaiting that release. I think the versions of One and Until the end of the world are superb off popmart as is lnoe. I just think that when you compare this concert to the VHS release and the superb 5.1 mix its just on a different planet. If this difference is anything to go by then the Popmart DVD will be just as superb.

Back
Top Bottom