post here old WIRE members

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popkidu2

War Child
What the hell...I feel like a family reunion.

I didn't realize there were so many old (and by "old" I mean 95/6/7er's who were around before the whole discotheque fiasco......)

lol!

I can't even remember most of the people from that time. Doctor Who is about the only one I recognize...someone mentioned Aingel in another post (was that you melon?) and that names rings a bell.

Anyway, I always posted under my real name
eek.gif
Nick.

*shrugs*

The idea of a handle just didn't occur to me back then.

I remember when I first joined WIRE in 95. The internet was such a new thing to me. And we had these really crappy IBM's at school w/ no sound and crap for graphics. When they had the studio cam during the POP recordings, I couldn't see shit. I had to go and visit the archives a year or so ago to actually see the pictures in their entirety. And yet I still used to check that damn site all the time
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

And the WIRE banner. I never did sign that thing. I was too shy at the time. Meeting people that I had only interacted w/ online, well, that was just too much to ask for me back then. I wonder where that thing is now. Some dork probably has it hanging in their room, laughing about how they stole it....or Henry Rollins got it and does nasty stuff w/ it
eek.gif

So anyway, I am curious to see how many old WIRE members are now here.

------------------
To use the old hippy saying, it ain't where you're from, it's where you're at. And right now. If you're listening to this CD, you're already watching the sunset in your mind, feeling the heat on your skin and whilling away the hours. Simply chilled. Best way to keep it, really. -Matthew Kershaw - Ibiza Sunset.

I don't know if you would consider me an "old" Wire person, but I joined up in Feb. 1998....felt kind of lost when it blew up (when was that? about a year ago or so?)
I signed the wire banner in Oakland even though I wasn't a wireling yet....yeah, DoctorWho is the only one I remember from Wire. I think a lot of the wirelings went to the ReWired list and other splinter lists....the Wire that was started up here on Interference just had a lot of squabbling...some very, very mean people
frown.gif

I joined WIRE this past summer, but left soon after the short "hiatus" was over, when it started up again on yahoo.

Lots of mean people, arguing, not fun at all.

This place is cozier, what with all you deathbears, pimps, and fly girls.

biggrin.gif

------------------
"I suppose I do everything in extremes-laugh a lot, cry a lot, fight a lot, make love a lot, eat too much, drink too much, try too much, cry too much. Pass the onion..." -Bono

~April~

*~The Official POP_Whore of Interference~*

Hello,

Well, I joined Wire in November 1995 so I think I'm qualified for this thread
smile.gif
I'm thinking a bit now (always difficult for me), but I think Doctorwho is the only one I know of who was also a member of Wire at that time (TAFKA Ciao John aka Doritos John or John H for those who couldn't spell his last name).

I can also remember when I first joined Wire. The Passengers album was just out and there was a whole discussion about its quality. This was also the time that Jason Gould ruined my pleasure of listening to One Minute Warning as he said he heard his name sung in it.
smile.gif
He even put the phrase in his sig. Well, since then I always hear his name in it too, instead of the original lines.

I never signed the WWW-banner as I didn't see it when they played in the Netherlands.

BTW, what do you mean with the discotheque fiasco? It was great! I mean, suddenly there were two bad-quality 30-second WAVs, one with an excerpt of Discotheque and one of Wake Up Dead Man, and everybody started discussing the Pop album based on those two samples! I believe the samples were even bootlegged and sold on the streets. That wasn't a fiasco, that was a defining period of Wire.

And I'm glad to be part of that history!

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

I just remember the whole argument over whether or not people thought the clips should be distributed etc.

WIRE back then was filled with crazy debates....most good I thought. I mean, there was always a few flame wars......

------------------
To use the old hippy saying, it ain't where you're from, it's where you're at. And right now. If you're listening to this CD, you're already watching the sunset in your mind, feeling the heat on your skin and whilling away the hours. Simply chilled. Best way to keep it, really. -Matthew Kershaw - Ibiza Sunset.

and then after all that shite..you could always depend on the wonderful, wacky, virbrant "J" what a guy!!!!!
biggrin.gif
I wonder if he is one here somewhere??!???!?? I'm scared!!!

Originally posted by ACROB@T:
and then after all that shite..you could always depend on the wonderful, wacky, virbrant "J" what a guy!!!!!
biggrin.gif
I wonder if he is one here somewhere??!???!?? I'm scared!!!

Ah, yes, reading J's posts was always the highlight of my day!

Luckily, I don't think J has graced us with his presence here....his negativity would be immediately noticed and booted off this board somehow.....

Oh Yes! I was member from September 1994 till last Fall. I think Wire went down once it joined up with the egroups/yahoo groups. I remember the Wildheart (somthing like that) website, where we could read the individual posts, rather then scroll down the digest.... Wire was a big help for me! I was 14/15 at the time so I couldn't drive nor was I big on funds. But I did manage to meet a cool U2 fan who lived in Dallas. I live in Fort Lauderdale, so we talked on the phone sometimes. He helped me start up my U2 bootleg collection. So I was also able to trade/buy bootleg concert videos. Thanks to Wire I have over 25 bootlegs on video/cd/tapes!

On a selfish note, to anybody who was a member of wire from at least December 1995/January 1996. Do you have the rare U2 video collection that was made from one person and were sent to other members who paid the tape and shipping fee? (It came with a small homemade booklet)I want/need it, PLEASE!! Can anybody make me a copy of it?? I gave my original to a co-worker in 1997, but she quit beforeI saw her again. That was my fave video had all the rare videos, like Pride version 3, IN God's COuntry, and Spanish Eyes....I'd be willing to make you a copy of some U2 concert bootlegs. Such as ZooTv MIami 10/92; Popmart Chicago 6/27/97 and 6/29/97, Tempe,Az 5/97. And my favorite: a compilation of U2 appearances from 1980-1987(Includes their performances from Tom Synder, US Festival, Live Aid, and Conspiracy Of Hope concert at Giants Stadium...to name a few)...
My email address is jedibono2@aol.com

Sorry for the long post....

Long live J, and his bizarre love for U2!!

[This message has been edited by MacFly2 (edited 09-26-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom