Possible Album News This Week!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cigar said:
Who has the final word for the release date of the album?

U2 or Interscope?

Well, look at it this way, let's suppose that U2 turned over their finished eleventh album to Universal/Interscope on August 1st, they might ask that the album be released in September but it's virtually impossible for the label to produce and market the album in that short of a period. Plus the label would never do that for a big band like U2, they want to maximize their market. The label isn't going to release it until they can adequately hype it up.

Almost without fail, it takes about 90 days (sometimes a little more) to release an album from the point it's delivered to the label. This is due to a working schedule that most of the major labels have, if not all, about marketing, releasing the single, allowing the single and video to promote the album, allowing the artist themselves to promote the album by perfomring on TV, or doing interviews. Also, the label has to actually have the artwork, track sequence, etc in hand to begin producing the album.

Basically, to answer your question, U2 has somewhat of say when the album is going to be released based on when they 'deliver' the album. Based on the November 22nd date, I would guess that it has been already delivered. That's when it becomes official, and that's when the announcement is made.

Once Universal/Interscope has, the album, track sequencing, artwork, title, choice for the first single (not all artists get to pick their singles) etc. Then they make the announcement, or U2 could, I assume make that announcement on their own, but the actual date of release is always determined by the label.

Truthfully if Universal/Interscope said November 22nd and the band said "No, we want you to release it a week or two later" they would probably do that for a band like U2, but they probably wouldn't move it up for anyone because it would cost them money. And we know they would never do that.

david said:
Wasn't TBA a Michael Jackson song? "Touching Boy's Asses?"

capt.se10108032111.teacher_sex_se101.jpg

She perks up. Licks lips, groans. "Can I have some?"

Melon

aww that poor teacher. guilty of giving a young boy the time of his life. where were teachers like that when i was in school?!?!?

lew07 said:
when did they deliver atyclb to the label?

Sometime between June 8th and June 30th 2000.

How do I come up with those dates? Well on June 8th, Edge did a chat on the internet and remarked that they were still working on some songs. On June 30th they announced the offical shit, title, sinlge and release date.

So at some point in those 3 weeks, the label got the album and made the decisions, and that's whtn they made the announcement.

My guess is that when they had that album wrap-up party is about the time that they gave the album over to the label. I don't know if all the details have been ironed out, but my guess is that some type of announcement will be made within a few weeks..

U2Fan101 said:
As an update to my post concerning a pre-order date at Borders, my friend, employee at Borders said that a U2 single is being reported as September 21st - Pending as the release date. There is a footnote numbered next to the Pending. At the bottom of the page it says "Pending Official Announcement From U2/Interscope 8-6-2004." The pre-order date for the single is now "Late August - TBA" and the title is still "TBA".

Now bear in mind, Borders awlays gets two list of upcoming releases, one for the public and for employees. This is being listed on the in-store circulation report. He says at this point, when this happens with any artist, it generally shows up on the public report in 1-2 weeks.

I wonder if there is going to be an announcement on Friday?

Comparing things...
R.E.M. announced their album name (and release dates?) yesterday. Were they in this list of future releases?

man, if there is an announcement tommorrow I'm gonna run down the street naked.

Wouldn't we already know if there was going to be an announcement made though? I remember hearing about the Elevation Leg 3 announcement weeks in advance, cause I told someone about it in late August, and the announcement was the morning of Sept. 11th.

It looks like that compared to the Atyclb timeline they are behind by two weeks and counting. The tracklisting and name was released at the end of June and that album was released Oct 31 so that would mean July 22 for tracklisting and name and yet we're at August 6 th already and no clue of an announcement.

What law dictates that it must follow ATYCLB's pattern, though? Does anyone know what the pattern was with other albums? Was ATYCLB announced exceptionally early or late or anything such as that?

shaun vox said:
hahahaa we all know nothing about this new album and its august. hahahaha. 4 more months and 2005 thats the time we will get something!

Well, if November 22 is still, on we should be hearing something fairly soon. Maybe not this month, but I think in September they will definitely announce the first single date/name and album name.

REM have just announced the name of their new album and that's due in the shops on October 4..you do the math!

I don't think we'll hear anything until later this month. Note that in 1991 when Achtung Baby came out, it wasn't until late August that the single was announced.

Achtung Baby came out on 11/19 (USA) and this album is just 3 days behind that schedule, so don't look for anything too, too soon.

How great is it that we are all sitting on the edge of our seats waiting for the smallest scrap of info on album by a band that is in it's third decade and well into their 40's? I love it! There's no way the Rolling Stones still get this kind of attention anymore....

Back
Top Bottom