'Poppier Tunes'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin

Babyface
I just read the latest article in Rollingstone. A qoute from Adam Clayton essentially stated that most of the tunes being thought for the next record are poppier than ATYCLB.

What is this? The last I read was that they were throwing out rocking/punk songs from Bono. To me, this is horrible. I thought U2 was about fucking up the mainstream. With the success of ATYCLB, I was hoping they would try and challenge once again (like Achtung, after Joshua Tree).

I don't want to hear U2 go POPPY. Lets hear some hard rocking tunes before they are too old! What is everyone's thoughts?

I'll bet if we bitch loud enough on a fan board, the band will magically change their minds and do exactly what we want. yeah. That's the ticket.

Seriously? Waiting till you have an actual album in your hands is probably the best way to "review" it.

As far as I'm concerned, the 5 instruments can do no wrong, and I don't give a fuck what sort of album it may or may not be.

I bathe in the sounds....... all of them.

the pop tunes will show up on the next two singles and for the best of 1990 2000.
i dont think any one of the pop tunes will make the next record.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK&ROLL HIGH SCHOOL.
THE RAMONES

If we can find out who's gonna be producing, I think that'll give us a better idea of the sound.

If you're against "poppier" tunes, then you should pray that Eno isn't producing, or will be producing. Every album that he has been the "main" dude has been a very mellow album.

And remember that Eno was more of a consultant on AB, Daniel Lanios was the main producer.

so if he's not producing, I'd think that U2 will have a much harder sound. but I could be wrong.

BEAL,

Supposedly, Eno was a "consultent" on ATYCLB as well, as I read numerous articles in which the band said he'd come in every few weeks to check up on things, give a few pointers, and leave again. And ATYCLB is, arguably, the bands most "poppy" album to date.

I do agree with you that if the album is produced by Nigel Goodrich, for example, we will hear an album with more of an edge to it (although he produced The Invisible Band by Travis, which is pop through and through. It is, however, what I like to refer to as, "pop music with a draft," in that it's got a kind of a sparse, cold Radiohead type feeling to it -- kind of the opposite to ATYCLB).

If Steve Lillywhite produces it (though he's currently working with Coldplay), it will be more rock'n roll, which would be fine by me. I'm seriously wondering if Edge/U2 will produce the new record. They have already started the record without a producer (that we know of), so it wouldn't surprise me. I'm sure Flood is helping out in some capacity, too.

------------------
The Tempest

[This message has been edited by Michael Griffiths (edited 04-16-2002).]

Poppier? Even poppier than ATYCLB? Ummm... I hope there are no boring beats like on 95% of today?s pop albums. That?s the negative influence of big time producers (not including Eno or Lillywhite).
Btw, I?d like a live album one more time.
Apart from that, it could get another Soul album. Raw Soul, the spirit of the streets, and Rock. What about a few guests? Lenny? No, their voices are too different. Oh, we could have a female there. Tori? Yeah, get Tori and let her play a decent piano.
And put some revolution in the lyrics. No, not talking about the Pistols. Soul Rock.
And gimme my points.

Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:
BEAL,

Supposedly, Eno was a "consultent" on ATYCLB as well, as I read numerous articles in which the band said he'd come in every few weeks to check up on things, give a few pointers, and leave again. And ATYCLB is, arguably, the bands most "poppy" album to date.

I think Eno was full-time when the album was first started. But from what I read ATYCLB was a very tough record to make, and very hard on Brian. It got so bad that he eventually took the role of consultant and limited his appearances. Even so, I think he had a very big influence in the direction of the album.

I would like to see Nigel Goodrich produce for U2. I really think U2 could go to some very interesting places with him at the helm.

I would also like to see the team from Pop back. They brought out some of the most creative sounds in the band, and I'd like to see them do it without the "dance" theme.

Originally posted by BEAL:
I would like to see Nigel Goodrich produce for U2. I really think U2 could go to some very interesting places with him at the helm.
I don't know
I'm already dreading the new Beck album a bit since Godrich is producing it and the last album they did together ended up sounding flat to me

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 04-17-2002).]

Kevin said:
I just read the latest article in Rollingstone. A qoute from Adam Clayton essentially stated that most of the tunes being thought for the next record are poppier than ATYCLB.

What is this? The last I read was that they were throwing out rocking/punk songs from Bono. To me, this is horrible. I thought U2 was about fucking up the mainstream. With the success of ATYCLB, I was hoping they would try and challenge once again (like Achtung, after Joshua Tree).

I don't want to hear U2 go POPPY. Lets hear some hard rocking tunes before they are too old! What is everyone's thoughts?

Haven't you learned by now not to listen to pre album BS. Even if it's coming from a band member. U2 had us believing POP was a real dance album.

I think U2s definition of pop is quite different from what we're thinking.

I thought I heard Bono say that the new stuff was far more gritty than ATYCLB.

I am not believing anything until the album is playing on my CD player.

JessicaAnn said:

I am not believing anything until the album is playing on my CD player.

Yeah, same here. I've heard so many different things about the new album and if I tried to believe them all then my head would explode. I'll just put my faith in the guys and hope it'll be another great record!

Back
Top Bottom