PopMart = U2's "Mr. Roboto?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
am i the only one?

i liked that mr. roboto song.
i had no idea that styx band did i. they made for a good simpsons joke if i remember correctly.

i have nothing to contribute to the thread question but its my first day. this is all i have to offer.

KhanadaRhodes said:

whoah. are you trying to say that only real fans like pop? i'm not sure.

nononono that's not what I meant at all. I don't care who likes Pop and who doesn't. Kitten said "I'm not just talking about critics, but real fans, people I know." so what I meant is, all of the real fans I know and have met (U2 being their favorite band) like Pop ok. Maybe it's not their fave, but I haven't met someone that DOESN'T like it. Honestly, I don't care, all I mean was that just b/c Kitten knows "real" fans that don't like Pop doesn't mean ALL real fans don't like Pop. Sorry if it didn't come out right. I didn't mean to say only REAL fans like Pop and you aren't a REAL fan unless you like Pop. Like what you want, whatever floats your boat. I don't judge people by what albums they like (unless they like Avril or Britney)

Oh NO! Not the ugly spectre of the "real fan" shit! :no: I am so sorry! I didn't mean 'real fan' in that way. I meant in real life, as in, everyday people I know and have talked to, and heard personal comments of and not distant or hypothetical critics or talking heads on TV or in a magazine. Sorry for any confusion, and just say NO to the "REAL FAN" arguments! :scream: There is no such thing as a real or a fake fan. If you like all U2 albums but one, or if you only like one, you are a fan! :happy:

As far as the rushed/unhappy thing: I do not have the articles ready to post, but over the last 3 years, I have seen every member of the band except Bono, and most recently Paul McGuiness (who said the new album would not be released until it was ready, saying something like "we don't want to make that mistake again!") say in some way that it was rushed, or mistakes had been made concerning it and the tour kickoff. Larry was quoted on VH1 Legends. It seems that the entire organization must have been unhappy with it and felt it needed refinishing, due to the fact that the songs were changed and redone before the release of Best of 1990-2000. That speaks for itself.

Last edited:
Salome control yourself. How shallow, if you like her for her looks and don't appreciate her music, you are not a real Britney fan :laugh:

Salome said:
POP was not rushed in a sense that it could have been more polished,
it's rushed in a sense that it's not a really cohesive album (I know that's what some people like about it but it feels too much like 4 ep's thrown together for my personal liking) and some of the songs could have used another look at to make them more interesting musically (I think the production on POP is far more interesting than the actual music, but that is just my opinion I guess)
Discotheque is a nice example
that riff does sound very cool because of the production
the riff itself doesn't make my mouth water though

I can live with that view of POP. It is a bit of a quandry sometimes as a cohesive album. Wasn't Bono's comment something like: It's starts out as a party and ends as a funeral. Something like that.

Did I not read somewhere that while Pop was considered the worse album of its year, the Spice Girls' album was the 'best'? I just keep that in mind when people discuss the (un)success of Pop..... :rolleyes:

Salome said:
the riff itself doesn't make my mouth water though

Just for everyone's peace of mind, Salome prefers the consumate rip-offs perpetrated by Angus Young, at the expense of one Jimmy Page. Rock on brother.

:sexywink:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
nononono that's not what I meant at all. I don't care who likes Pop and who doesn't. Kitten said "I'm not just talking about critics, but real fans, people I know." so what I meant is, all of the real fans I know and have met (U2 being their favorite band) like Pop ok. Maybe it's not their fave, but I haven't met someone that DOESN'T like it.
okay. :)

I don't know about Styx, but I'm guessing Popmart got - somewhat rightfully - a bad rap after the tour started.

I mean, not being able to fully sell out a venue - when being a band U2's cathegory it's definitely not good - and having trouble playing on opening night - again, not good with any band, much less someone on this scale - is bound to get critics tearing you apart.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
I don't know about Styx, but I'm guessing Popmart got - somewhat rightfully - a bad rap after the tour started.

I mean, not being able to fully sell out a venue - when being a band U2's cathegory it's definitely not good - and having trouble playing on opening night - again, not good with any band, much less someone on this scale - is bound to get critics tearing you apart.

You just stated the facts, U2girl. That is what happened, nobody picked on them. I remember an interview with Bono, on TV in late 2000, was it Farmclub or Access Hollywood? He said during POPMART he could feel the band losing the audience for the first time. He said they were leaving during songs to go buy food and t-shirts. He saw them talking amongst each other instead of paying attention to the show. He said they cared more about popcorn than POPMART. His quote was, "they were eating POPCORN! I could SMELL IT!" He made hand motions of someone eating popcorn when he said that. On VH-1 the Legends show, he said it got too big, and "the monster ate US!" Larry's quote was, "it was a mistake, and we'll never do that again. We won't." -looks around sheepishly- "So he says!" -cute smile:)

Pop and Popmart were both rushed. I remember going to Opening Night at Vegas. It was by far the worst of the 12 U2 shows I've seen (I saw 2 other Popmart shows in Oakland too). The atmosphere didn't feel right and the band was kind of flat. Based on that concert and less than sold out shows the following few concerts, Popmart was labeled a flop. By the time I saw them in June of '97 they were smoking and the show was very good. However, I'll take the Elevation, or Joshua Tree shows over Popmart any day. Popmart found U2 trying to be too ironic and it just didn't feel right.

Pop was a good album, maybe even very good at some points, however it is not a classic. And what I mean is that a few songs jump at you and beg to be heard, and most of the songs are just background music. Sorry, my opinion. I remember hearing it and feeling like I was listening to an album of B-sides. I don't think they'll ever paint themselves into this kind of corner again.

Back
Top Bottom