Popmart "Lights Off"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
Lately, I've been listening to a lot of the Popmart recordings (Mexico City, San Paulo, Tel Aviv, etc). One thing I keep hearing is Bono's call for "Lights Off".

Having missed the tour and video, what is happening when the call goes out for "Lights Off"?

Thanks for your shared wisdom on the subject.

nbcrusader said:
Having missed the tour and video, what is happening when the call goes out for "Lights Off"?

Um, Willie is turning the stage lights off. :)

OK, seriously, Willie is turning the lights off, but more importantly, the audience is turning on those little cigarette lighters and the whole audience is full of them and it looks so sureal. It must look incedible from Bono's point of view.

I love when Bono calls for the lights off!! Especially when the show is in a stadium! Surreal is right!!!

During the second night in Mexico City, it was during "New Year's Day." In Sarajevo, he tells Willie to turn the lights on during "Streets." I think he does it during "One" in Santiago and Sydney.

Last edited:
KhanadaRhodes said:
what songs did he do it during?

at memphis (yay!!) he did it during pride. i'm wondering if it was a coincidence, or if he chose pride cuz they were in memphis.

Actually at the Memphis 97 show he seemed to get pissed about the screen or something and started shouting to turn the screen off, "I dont want to see it" like he was mad. This happened during Last Night On Earth. The only lighting was a few spots shining through the back of the screen. Gave the song kind of a creepy and cool vibe at the same time. Memphis, my first Popmart show. I was ready for the worst hearing some of the reviews. I was blown away. I guess I'am one of the few U2 fans that loved that era and tour. Nothing but great memories.

Blue Room said:
I was ready for the worst hearing some of the reviews. I was blown away. I guess I'am one of the few U2 fans that loved that era and tour. Nothing but great memories.
same here. i love the album and i loved the concert. i just wish i'd been old enough to see more of them! :D

although i'm pretty sure i also remember him calling for the stadium to be pitch black during pride as well.

Blue Room said:
I guess I'am one of the few U2 fans that loved that era and tour. Nothing but great memories.

*raises hand* count me in. Can?t help feeling moved anytime I watch my S?o Paulo video. He called for the lights off during New Years Day. When he said some meaningful words to the audience in the beginning of I Still Havent?t Found it was dark as well...that bit always gets me in tears. :heart:

POP MART video live from Mexico city , is thier best visual work to date . It's because it was directed by the same guy who directed PF and Queen shows . David Mallet , it is his masterpiece .
i don't know about the sound , i heard it was heavily edited , but it sounds great and looks great .

In the Mexico video I think it's New Years Day, and it's for the millions of lighters in the crowd.
In Sydney it was during One and was because there was a *ahem* electrical storm right above the stadium. He had all the lights turned off, including the screen, was just in a spotlight with the lightning above. Pretty cool (and fun waiting for one of the lighting towers at the back or the olive to get struck by lightning)

Back
Top Bottom