Popmart and certain songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoobeatle

The Fly
Just got a few questions:

1. Where did you see Popmart?

2. Did they ever play "Do You Feel Loved" on the tour? and if not why do you think they didnt do it ?

3. I Know they played "Discotheque"and "Last Night On Earth"and was just wondering how they came across live, cos i imagine that "Discotheque" would be a tricky one to do live.

Appreciate any comments. TY

1. At home on my comfortable couch

2. I don't know, think a couple of times

3. What I saw on the popmart video fromMexico, I love those performances especially Discotheque. The slower part in Last night on Earth, where Edge sings the high notes I didn't like, was much better on the album.

zoobeatle said:

Madison, Wisconsin

2. Did they ever play "Do You Feel Loved" on the tour? and if not why do you think they didnt do it ?

They did...but not very often. I think they just had a hard time with it. :shrug:

3. I Know they played "Discotheque"and "Last Night On Earth"and was just wondering how they came across live, cos i imagine that "Discotheque" would be a tricky one to do live.

I LOVED them! :love: I confess though, I'm not one of those technical folks who really notices if there are glitches and whatnot.

zoobeatle said:

1-in 98 Popmart came for RJ and SP but I didnt even had a heck of what was u2 at that time , so .....

2- They had problems in perform it , besides they didnt feel the song belonged much to the set , so drop it ........

3- Both were great moments of the tour , songs that really worked , specially Last Night , that was regarded as the highlight of the tour , I say it even tops Hold Me , Thrill me ..... as best Rock song of the tour

The Perfomance of LNOE in mexico is just amazing , it's one of those moments u get so glad they captured in video , really great , that bridge when the tempo get slower , Larry stays only with cymballs , and Edge and Adam on slides is :drool:

Last edited:
Re: Re: Popmart and certain songs

J_NP said:

1-in 98 Popmart came for RJ and SP but I didnt even had a heck of what was u2 at that time , so .....

2- They had problems in perform it , besides they didnt feel the song belonged much to the set , so drop it ........

3- Both were great moments of the tour , songs that really worked , specially Last Night , that was regarded as the highlight of the tour , I say it even tops Hold Me , Thrill me ..... as best Rock song of the tour

The Perfomance of LNOE in mexico is just amazing , it's one of those moments u get so glad they captured in video , really great , that bridge when the tempo get slower , Larry stays only with cymballs , and Edge and Adam on slides is :drool:
wish i could hear them somewhere,never heard HMTHKMKM even.

zoobeatle said:

I didn't. :( Still annoyed I missed Popmart Brisbane, even though I was only 11 and had only just moved to Australia.

They played it six times at the start of the tour. I think they just decided it didn't really get the crowd going, because I don't think they really had a hard time playing it, at least not like they did with IGWSHA and SATS. But if you want to see a list of concerts it was played at: http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/song99.html

I think both LNOE and Discotheque were significantly better live. LNOE rocked a lot, but Discotheque exceptionally improved. I think it's one of the weaker songs on Pop, but the Popmart live version is one of my favourite things that U2 has ever done. Edge's wailing guitar and Bono going mad with snippets at the end was pretty cool. (There's one really funny version where Bono snippets It's Raining Men in Tampa, 1997-11-10. That one made me laugh.)

Axver said:

I didn't. :( Still annoyed I missed Popmart Brisbane, even though I was only 11 and had only just moved to Australia.

They played it six times at the start of the tour. I think they just decided it didn't really get the crowd going, because I don't think they really had a hard time playing it, at least not like they did with IGWSHA and SATS. But if you want to see a list of concerts it was played at: http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/song99.html

I think both LNOE and Discotheque were significantly better live. LNOE rocked a lot, but Discotheque exceptionally improved. I think it's one of the weaker songs on Pop, but the Popmart live version is one of my favourite things that U2 has ever done. Edge's wailing guitar and Bono going mad with snippets at the end was pretty cool. (There's one really funny version where Bono snippets It's Raining Men in Tampa, 1997-11-10. That one made me laugh.)

Axver said:

thanx axver

2 X Giant Stadium NJ

2. Did they ever play "Do You Feel Loved" on the tour?
Yes at only one show.

3. Personally LNOE is still one of my favorites and it rocked then and rocked on Vertigo. Discoteque was fun and extremely lively.

JCOSTER said:
2 X Giant Stadium NJ

2. Did they ever play "Do You Feel Loved" on the tour?
Yes at only one show.

3. Personally LNOE is still one of my favorites and it rocked then and rocked on Vertigo. Discoteque was fun and extremely lively.

2# I'm sure it was played at more than once show

3# I dont keep up to date with setlist...but I'm sure that Last night on earth was not done on the vertigo tour

xaviMF22 said:

3# I dont keep up to date with setlist...but I'm sure that Last night on earth was not done on the vertigo tour

u right it wasnt played on this tour.

i demand a investigation into this madness

xaviMF22 said:

2# I'm sure it was played at more than once show

Like I said before, DYFL was done at six shows. That person may have been thinking of IGWSHA, which was only played in full at the first Popmart gig - a stripped down version played by just Bono and Edge was played for most of the rest of the first leg before it was dumped in late June 1997 for New Year's Day.

And Last Night On Earth was played at every single Popmart concert but has not been performed live since. The only Pop song performed on Vertigo was Discotheque, a mere two times.

zoobeatle said:

1. Helsinki Olympic stadium and Lansdowne stadium in Dublin

2. Yes, I know of at least one time coz I have an audio tape recording of it from Samboyd stadium in Las Vegas.

3. By the time U2 came to Finland, and later Dublin, they had a very tight set and both of the songs you mentioned sound great live!! :drool:

1:

I never experienced POPmart live unfortunatly.

2:

I believe at one show, i think it wasnt great for a live performance.

3:

LNOE just rocked Live. Watch the Live from Mexico VHS tape (or vcd, dvd etc) it just rocks Live. Especially the last part when they go all out on the guitars!! :drool: :drool: :drool:

Discotheque also improved live compared to the album version, although the album version certainly isnt bad.

schnumi said:
2:

I believe at one show, i think it wasnt great for a live performance.

Are people not reading previous posts?

I'll say this for the third time: Do You Feel Loved has been performed live six times.

1.Warsaw,Horse Race Track,12.08.1997
2.they only played that song few times in the States
3.LNOE live was a killer, far better than album version with very powerful ending,Discotheque was not bad either

Axver said:

Are people not reading previous posts?

I'll say this for the third time: Do You Feel Loved has been performed live six times.
Yep sorry read it now.

But still six times is not much. So i assume it didnt fit in right Live?

02/27/1998 Football Stadium - Sydney, Australia setlist

It starts off raining but clears up soon. I remember laughing as I noticed the band were splashing a bit on stage when they moved. At one stage Bono put his boot on Adam's back & comically pushed him out into the light rain. I particulary liked Last Night On Earth. It seemed a little slower than record & is a melacholy or desperate-sounding song live.

Mofo, I Will Follow, Gone, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Last Night On Earth, Until The End Of The World, New Year's Day, Pride (In The Name Of Love), I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Stand By Me (snippet), Bad / Waltzing Matilda (snippet) / Ruby Tuesday (snippet), Desire, Staring At The Sun, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet The Blue Sky, Please, Where The Streets Have No Name
encores: Discothèque / Can't Stand The Rain (snippet) / Need You Tonight (snippet) / Rain (snippet), If You Wear That Velvet Dress, With Or Without You, Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me, Mysterious Ways / Singing In The Rain (snippet) / Never Tear Us Apart (snippet), MLK, One

Comments: The Lemon is broken and is not used much or because there is some thunder & lightning in the distance & it could be struck by lightning. During New Year's Day Bono sings "under a thundercloud of rain" (gets a cheer). They played bits of INXS sings as tribute to Michael.

Last edited:
can i toss in a quick question, was staring at the sun ever played with the whole band?

Yes it was , in fact it was perfomed 2 months with full band , from June on , only B and E

I saw Popmart 2 nights:

-Opening night in Las Vegas

-November show in San Antonio TX

Both shows were night and day. While being such a raw show, I felt lucky to see 10 Pop tunes performed in Vegas. One of them being "Do You Feel Loved". Out of all my U2 shows I've been to (been to 9) this was probably the most forced tune ever performed by them. It sounded ok, even better than some of the Popmart staples from that night (Mofo, Gone, LNOE, Discotheque), but it just didn't do anything for the band or crowd. DYFL is such a mellow song. Very mellow by U2 standards, in that it doesn't have a climatic ending or Bono doesn't use much range in it. It was performed ok that night but didn't fit the bill for a U2 concert.

LNOE sounded like crap from Vegas. But hearing it from other shows and seeing it in San Antonio blew me away. Someone wrote awhile back (a Popmart review) that Gone & LNOE were some of U2's greatest tunes ever performed live. I have to agree.

J_NP said:
Yes it was , in fact it was perfomed 2 months with full band , from June on , only B and E

It was indeed. I saw them do the full band arrangement in Kansas City 5/19. I saw Popmart again a month later in LA and it was performed by B & E only.

schnumi said:
Yep sorry read it now.

But still six times is not much. So i assume it didnt fit in right Live?

I actually thought it wasn't in such a bad setlist spot, and the song didn't really seem to be performed badly, but I think U2 felt it simply didn't have that "spark", that it wasn't setting the crowd alight and was thus expendable, so they dumped it.

never been to a show, but have few bootlegs..
sorry for the crap quality, but here's Do you feel loved from Denver 01-05-97
http://www.yous endit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=3B2B8601306D90E7

vaz02 said:

u right it wasnt played on this tour.

i demand a investigation into this madness

I okay so shoot me made a late night mistake played during pop and not vertigo.

as for Do you feel Loved out of the 2 shows I went to it was only played at one of them...

Hope that clears up the confusion:huh:

JCOSTER said:
as for Do you feel Loved out of the 2 shows I went to it was only played at one of them...

Actually, if your earlier statement about seeing Popmart twice at Giants Stadium was correct, Do You Feel Loved was not played at all.

Live history of Do You Feel Loved: http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/song99.html

Setlists for the three Giants Stadium shows:
1997-05-31: http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/show438.html
1997-06-01: http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/show443.html
1997-06-03: http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/show450.html

Other setlist websites such as U2Tours.com and U2Tour.de echo that data.

Back
Top Bottom