Pop vs. ATYCLB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HAHAAHA! the first person who takes this thread seriously has to buy me a premium membership.

:mad: C'mon guys! Stick to the topic!

Honestly, have you lost all respect for a good sound debate between two very interesting viewpoints?:sad:

hehe:wink:

Last edited:
WELL THEY ARE CERTAINLY LIKE TWO DIFFERENT BANDS..I MEAN IF I JUST CAME BACK FROM MARS FOR EXAMPLE AND HAD NO CLUE
WHO U2 WAS AND SOMEONE MADE ME HEAR BOTH ALBUMS...I WOULD HAVE PROBABLY GUESSED THAT IT WAS NOT THE SAME BAND...
REGARDLESS WHAT NEGATIVE FEEDBACK POP GOT I KNOW I COULD NEVER LIVE WITH OUT
DISCOTHEQUE
MOFO
IF GOD WILL SEND HIS ANGELES
STARING AT THE SUN
LAST NIGHT ON EARTH
GONE
PLEASE
WAKE UP DEAD MAN.....
I WOULD SEND MIAMI AND PLAYBOY MANSION TO MARS THOUGH:barf: :sick: :down:

P.S
I DO LOVE ATYCLB:wink:

Last edited:
I like Pop better. It's much darker, and I think the unfinished quality adds to the overall appeal. It's my 3rd favorite album. And take away my membership if you must, but I REALLY dig Miami. I'm the only one in the whole world, apparently...

BonoFox1 said:
WELL THEY ARE CERTAINLY LIKE TWO DIFFERENT BANDS..I MEAN IF I JUST CAME BACK FROM MARS FOR EXAMPLE AND HAD NO CLUE
WHO U2 WAS AND SOMEONE MADE ME HEAR BOTH ALBUMS...I WOULD HAVE PROBABLY GUESSED THAT IT WAS NOT THE SAME BAND...
REGARDLESS WHAT NEGATIVE FEEDBACK POP GOT I KNOW I COULD NEVER LIVE WITH OUT.........
DISCOTHEQUE
MOFO
IF GOD WILL SEND HIS ANGELES
STARING AT THE SUN
LAST NIGHT ON EARTH
GONE
PLEASE
WAKE UP DEAD MAN.....
I WOULD SEND MIAMI AND PLAYBOY MANSION TO MARS THOUGH:barf: :sick: :down:

ACTUALLY I WOULD UPGRADE YOUR MEMBERSHIP IF IT WAS UP TO ME...I MEAN IF YOU CAN TOLERATE MIAMI.....
STICK UP FOR MIAMI TRANQUILFE

P.S
I DO LOVE ATYCLB:wink:
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :yes:

Haha. Yeah, I've been getting that lately. I feel like I'm the lone defender of Miami!!! It just reminds me of high school basketball. I used to listen to it to get me pumped before games. Right when Bono says "You know, some places are like your aunty, but there's no place like... MIAMI!!!" That's when Larry pounds the drums like his feet are on fire and Edge lays into the guitar. Ah, there must be help for people like me...

Tranquilfire said:
Haha. Yeah, I've been getting that lately. I feel like I'm the lone defender of Miami!!! It just reminds me of high school basketball. I used to listen to it to get me pumped before games. Right when Bono says "You know, some places are like your aunty, but there's no place like... MIAMI!!!" That's when Larry pounds the drums like his feet are on fire and Edge lays into the guitar. Ah, there must be help for people like me...

OOPSY!..I typed your name as tranquilife and its tranquilfire...just noticed...
And it's ok..no need to look for help, just people like you who love Miami....im sure you'll find some here and know that your are not alone:no: :wave:

Thanks. You know, I've only been writing on this board for two days, but there are some really nice people here. Well, maybe with the exception of the guy that Edge flamed about his guitar work on Vertigo! I think he just likes to get people riled up. Anywho, I feel very welcome after two days thanks to people like you. If you can give Miami lovers such as myself a chance, well I guess I can give Miami not-so-lovers such as yourself a chance too. Haha. Gotta do some Russian homework. Take care, BonoFox.

Pop is an underrated masterpiece. It's my favourite album together with Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree.

:scream: :banghead: Are you really unaware of the hundreds of threads we've had on this, the fights, the shit? You're couldn't be serious :eyebrow:

I'm sorry guys, but I like this comparison, this is actually an important one.

For me, i have mixed feelings as ATYCLB... okay you got Beautiful Day, Stuck in a Moment which are both good start offs... then you've got a half baked version of Elevation (the Tomb Raider Mix sounded much fuller), Walk On and Kite are great, then In a little while totally changes tone and it feels more like it should be on Pop as one of the later tracks.. even then, its really hard to get into this song... took me at least a year. Wild Honey is the same story, but I am a bit biased towards this song because it was in Vanilla Sky which is one of my favourite movies so I got to listen to it and like it. I like Peace on Earth, its a very emotional song, and you have to have balls to write a song like that, but again, it took me a year at least or maybe even two to get into this song. When I look at the world, this song took me about 2 years to actually pay attention to, but now I'm loving it. New York is a great song, but after being hit with the best songs #1-5 its really hard to keep listening down the list, so this took me a while to start to like, not as long as the other songs that I mentioned, but long enough that someone else might have actually given up on the album. Grace has that weird sound again that I don't feel fits into the album, I liked this song because I have a personal attachment to it, but again its not very likable unless you're really looking for something to satisfy you...

Now Pop, I feel this album is a little bit more balanced in terms of dispersing the single type songs over the course of the album so that you actually listen to the tracks in between. Discotheque is just a great song to blast out, almost like how Elevation or Vertigo are great to blast out (note: if you actually analyze the lyrics of discotheque, you realize this song actually does have something on the inside, its not empty). Do you feel loved is another catchy song that you just have to like. Mofo is a bit tricky, its kind of a jarring transition to Mofo, but I guess thats how it was with BTBS on JT. I only liked this song after watching the Popmart in Mexico concert, once you listen to the whole song start to finish you realize its not that bad, the ending is great. If God Will Send His Angels... I can't say enough about this song.. even though this song is the "mellow" type, it still catches you.. its like the ultimate song for hope. Staring at the Sun... great song.. I don't think anyone can deny that this one is a classic. Last Night on Earth has a very distinct feel.. from the start of the song it feels like something that should be paired with Desire.. sometimes I feel this song needs a little bit more layers, but you just gotta love the hook to this song-- and the lyrical merit is great. Gone.. well again, I think this song is likable right away.. again, I think this hook was sort of infectuous to me. Miami.. okay I still don't know what the heck this song is after the fact that I've listened to Pop a million times, its just so unmemorable.. listening to it now to remember :)... okay actually this song isn't that bad, but its kinda like how I described the non-single songs on ATYCLB, its something that doesn't catch your ears, and you really have to force yourself to try to like this track before you actually do. Playboy Mansion... name kinda was a turn off, but when I actually listened to it I loved the hook, it helps make the song. If you wear that velvet dress-- I think this song could have been a single if they made a radio edit version with a more of an in your face beginning instead of the long intro, but it fits well on a full album, kind of like how Acrobat fit on AB. Please-- another classic song I felt.. you can interpret this song so many ways.. for a lover, for a close friend, for a politician, etc... and I became a U2 fan after 9/11, so the ending is SO eery the way he says "September, streets capsizing, spilling over, and down the drain.. Shards of glass, splinters like rain.. but you could only feel your own pain!"... a great buildup to the ending to the song. Wake up Dead Man, initially it was hard for me to get into this song, but now I'm loving it.. Bono swears in this song, but he uses it in such an appropriate context that I don't mind it, again, the buildup to the end of this song is just so uplifting.

So all in all, as an album I feel Pop is much better... honestly if i were to rate the recent U2 albums, I'd give AB a 10/10, Pop a 9.0/10, and ATYCLB a 7.5/10.. in terms of singles it would probably be 8/10 for AB, 8/10 for Pop, and 10/10 for ATYCLB

Last edited:
I like Miami. The guitar, the lyrics... U2 experimenting... It's a great brave song.

Pop is much much much much much better than ATYCLB. Pop IS a masterpiece.

ATYCLB, well, anything's better than this.

U2_Guy said:
I like Miami. The guitar, the lyrics... U2 experimenting... It's a great brave song.

Pop is much much much much much better than ATYCLB. Pop IS a masterpiece.

ATYCLB, well, anything's better than this.

yeah.. I just rerated Pop because I think even 8.5 didn't do it justice.. its a great album, only Miami just doesn't do it for me.. not yet anyways (not that i'm saying its a bad track, its something that i just don't notice), come back in 3-4 years and I'll probably be loving it, but for now I just wish they had kept Stay or HMTMKMKM for this album, would have easily made it a 9.5/10 or 10/10

U2Kitten said:
:scream: :banghead: Are you really unaware of the hundreds of threads we've had on this, the fights, the shit? You're couldn't be serious :eyebrow:

hehe:wink: I am aware, but I thought that it was about time for another one. mikal provided the inspiration for this thread.

This thread is great.......

....for me to poop on.
:yawn:

Pop's a FAR stronger album. There are more weaker tracks on ATYCLB, Peace On Earth, Grace, Wild Honey. The weak track on Pop is If god will send his angels(still better than Grace and Peace On Earth, though) and thats about it. Some people say Playboy Mansion is a weak song but while not being one of the best songs on the album it still is better than Grace and Peace On Earth. And I have also heard people slagging off Miami and I reckon this is great Alternative U2, a fantastic song. Thats where Pop is a far more stronger album, its more diverse and their are so many different styles on the album where as ATYCLB is more straight forward, guitar, drums, bass, vocals rock.

FullonEdge2 said:

hehe:wink: I am aware, but I thought that it was about time for another one. mikal provided the inspiration for this thread.

I was wondering if you were aware.

If you really want to know, Pop is my least favorite album. ATYCLB is my 5th favorite. I just do not like the style of most of the songs on Pop and do not enjoy them. I especially dislike MOFO, DYFL, Discotheque, Miami and Playboy Mansion. I like Gone, SATS and WUDM, that's all.

A friend sent me a link to an all music message board last night, I will have to post it. It backed up what I have seen and known all along, while Pop is popular and defended on this forum, it is a clunker with U2 fans and the casual fan in general. That's what the person who sent me the link said, all the Pop love lives on interference, it's a joke most other places. One thing I could never understand is how anyone could be personally offended if someone didn't like Pop. So what, it's only an album, nobody likes everything. You wouldn't beat me up for saying eeeew if you put mushrooms on your pizza or onions on your hot dog, so why is it a big deal not to like one album? And don't even bring up the 'real fan' thing :no: that gets very nasty. Oh and the 'don't get it' :scream: It's all a matter of taste and opinion. No one is right or wrong.

how many of the people who were slagging on Pop actually *bought* the album? the singles weren't very strong, where as ATYCLB had amazing singles, but the rest of ATYCLB felt unfinished or felt like filler, while Pop felt like they tried to make an experience, not just a couple of good songs and then throw on the rest.

Back
Top Bottom