pop vs. atyclb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Discotheque vs. Beautiful Day: BD, but Discotheque has a totally different power live (Popmart and Vertigo versions alike)
2. Do You Feel Loved vs. Stuck in a Moment: Do You Feel Loved.
Axver said:
I'd vote for Bono reciting the phone book over Stuck.
3. Mofo vs. Elevation: Mofo by miles. Lyrics are powerful, and Mofo as opener is way better than Elevation as opener.
4. If God Will Send His Angels vs. Walk On: Tough call, but I vote for Walk On, mainly because IGWSHA sounds so incomplete.
5. Staring At The Sun vs. Kite: Kite. I never liked SATS, specially the acoustic version (though what they did live with the electric version is shameful).
6. Last Night On Earth vs. In A Little While: Last Night On Earth, though I think both are very weak songs.
7. Gone vs. Wild Honey: Gone is amazingly good. Wild Honey is amazingly bad.
8. Miami vs. Peace on Earth: I like both, but the album version of Miami isn't really good. I like the way POE sounds.
9. The Playboy Mansion vs. When I Look at the World: WILATW, but I also like the Playboy Mansion.
10. If You Wear That Velvet Dress vs. New York: IYWTVT is amazing in so many ways, one of their great atmospheric tunes.
11. Please vs Grace: Please. Grace is ok, but come on, please!
12. Wake Up Dead Man vs. Ground Beneath Her Feet: TGBHF is one of their most beautiful songs ever, so I'll stick to this one.

Final count: Pop 6 x 6 ATYCLB. I expected Pop to win. As an album (as opposed to a collection of songs) it is miles ahead ATYCLB. Much more cohesive, sonically interesting and innovative.

U2Man said:

you have been given marks. you just dont pay attention. makes me feel better about expelling you.

Maybe I should sue your class for discriminating against the vision impaired by not making the marks clear! :rant:

Now buy me off with a sizeable out-of-court settlement. :drool:

Hmm, a class where people only get good marks if they agree with the marker's opinions! Thank goodness my law classes aren't like that - I'd fail every time. The marker wouldn't want me in the classroom, and I wouldn't want to be in the classroom, cos I choose - POP!!!!

Lancemc said:
On a purely song by song comparison:

1. Discotheque vs. Beautiful Day
-Beautiful Day
2. Do You Feel Loved vs. Stuck in a Moment
- Do You Feel Loved
3. MOFO vs. Elevation
-Elevation
4. If God Will Send His Angels vs. Walk On
-Walk On
5. Staring At The Sun vs. Kite (bwahahahahah!)
-Kite, duh
6. Last Night On Earth vs. In A Little While
- In A Little While
7. Gone vs. Wild Honey
- Wild Honey
8. Miami vs. Peace on Earth
- Miami
9. The Playboy Mansion vs. When I Look at the World
- When I Look at the World
10. If You Wear That Velvet Dress vs. New York
- If You Wear That Velvet Dress
11. Please vs Grace (very tough, but since Pop's production blows)
- Grace
12. Wake Up Dead Man vs. Ground Beneath Her Feet
- Wake Up Dead Man

So that's Pop - 4 ATYCLB - 8

Now let's rank the songs by quality, THEN compare

1. Wake Up Dead Man vs. Beautiful Day
- Beautiful Day
2. Do You Feel Loved vs. Kite
- Kite
3. If You Wear That Velvet Dress vs. Walk On
- Walk On
4. Please vs. In A Little While
- In A Little While
5. Discotheque vs. Stuck In a Moment
- Stuck in a Moment
6. MOFO vs. Elevation
- Elevation
7. Gone vs. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
- The Ground Beneath Her Feet
8. Miami vs. Wild Honey
- Wild Honey
9. Staring at the Sun vs. Grace
- Grace
10. The Playboy Mansion vs. When I Look At the World
- When I Look At the World
11. If God Will Send His Angels vs. Peace On Earth
- Peace On Earth
12. Last Night On Earth vs. New York
- New York

Wow, that even surprised me. Pop - 0 ATYCLB - 12

I guess the first round, POP got lucky with a few uneven match-ups. But when we rank the songs reasonably, ATYCLB fucking smokes POP. And I was pretty sure that at least New York would lose, because it's really not that good. But as luck would have it, it got matched up against Last Night On Earth. A song that can be fiarly kick-ass live, but on POP, pretty much sucks nuts.
The best post/ comment in this thread. :)

I don't believe in comparing albums track by track because it's too random and arbitrary. I'll just say I hated Pop when it first came out and put it away in disgust after my first listen. Then ATYCLB came out and I was bored with it after my first listen. Eventually I gave both CDs another chance. Pop got better and better every time I heard it. I decided ATYCLB didn't suck quite as much as I thought initially, but I still think it's U2's most boring album.

Sicy said:
It's your own damn fault.

I know. :reject: But I couldn't take the bickering in this thread. So actually... my thread helped diffuse the tension in this one. Wow.. so really, it was because of that thread that this one is still open without people trampling over each other's opinions and causing it to get locked! :shifty:

:angel:

Bono's shades said:
I don't believe in comparing albums track by track because it's too random and arbitrary. I'll just say I hated Pop when it first came out and put it away in disgust after my first listen. Then ATYCLB came out and I was bored with it after my first listen. Eventually I gave both CDs another chance. Pop got better and better every time I heard it. I decided ATYCLB didn't suck quite as much as I thought initially, but I still think it's U2's most boring album.

Wow, that is pretty much exactly my experience! :ohmy:

I didn't hate Pop at the beginning but thought it was too weird and depressing. I didn't like it much. But it got better and better with every listen. ATYCLB (and esp. Stuck In A Moment) was a crushing disappointment after my realizing of the brilliance of Pop. Although, I did grow to like and eventually dare I say, love it. But there's something missing. The lyrics are not that great. Also the lyrics are a little too direct for my taste, Kite being the prime example. Nothing remotely abstract, everything is right there. Nevertheless, the album has some very pretty melodies like IALW and Wild Honey. Not to mention BD & Walk On never fail to uplift my mood whenever I listen to them.

pop has songs such as discotheque, mofo, if god will send his angels, last night on earth, playboy mansion and miami that just arent very interesting. sorry, but thats half the record.

I truly don't understand why anyone would like ATYCLB. I hate it so much that it makes my opinion of Achtung Baby look positively glowing.

Lancemc said:
Maybe it's because you have poor taste?

Coming from you, that's a bit rich. Have you made love to your copy of ATYCLB yet?

i don't want two already expelled members of the class to get this thread locked. cut it out, guys.

Axver said:
I truly don't understand why anyone would like ATYCLB. I hate it so much that it makes my opinion of Achtung Baby look positively glowing.

I feel as though i'm sticking my foot in a bear trap....but ATYCLB and Achtung Baby tied at #1 for me.

*trap snaps shut*

I keed, I keed...you don't have poor taste. Afterall, you do love Lovetown and 11 O'Clock Tick Tock...you're just nuts then. I mean, you do hate ATYCLB and dislike most of Achtung Baby and often go batshit insane during setlist parties. :wink:

coolian2 said:

I feel as though i'm sticking my foot in a bear trap....but ATYCLB and Achtung Baby tied at #1 for me.

*trap snaps shut*

Z-. You're expelled. Twice.

I just stole U2Man's job. :drool:

OK, seriously, back on track. I'd love to know what problem U2Man has with LNOE as it's such a great rocking track.

Lancemc said:
I keed, I keed...you don't have poor taste. Afterall, you do love Lovetown and 11 O'Clock Tick Tock...you're just nuts then. I mean, you do hate ATYCLB and dislike most of Achtung Baby and often go batshit insane during setlist parties. :wink:

:lmao: Let's say we're both nuts and call it even. After all, you have to be nuts to have thousands of posts on a U2 fan forum, don't you? :wink:

the chorus, the chorus.

can a chorus get any lamer?

cheesy lyrics. check.

no melody. check.

just lame screaming. check.

U2Man said:
the chorus, the chorus.

can a chorus get any lamer?

cheesy lyrics. check.

no melody. check.

just lame screaming. check.

Do you hate Ultra Violet because of its lame chorus? Mysterious Ways? One? Even Better Than The Real Thing? Beautiful Day? Walk On? In fact, you can probably call half of U2's choruses lame and have a good case.

LNOE's outro live was something special though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom