Pop or Rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BANZAI

War Child
In my opinion U2 have always been a mixture between a popband and a rockband. Since the release of ATYCLB it seems they've become more like a pop band. Only songs like Elevation, Vertigo, LAPOE and Crumbs have a little rocking feeling, although with a poppy edge. I have nothing against real pop bands, but I just don't hope U2 will go that way. That's why I truly hope they won't go the musical direction of Window in the Skies.

nowadays U2 have turned (unfortunately) into a pop band.
they are on the same boring level like e.g. bon jovy, coldplay, james blunt...BANZAI i admit i don't hope they continue on the road of WITS. thats my hope, but i fear they will go further on this direction (dea-dend street).

I will say rock. Only because the world pop fills me with bad thoughts.

I don't think U2 sound poppy. I see their music as Art. I wouldn't know what really to classify it because I really think they have their own sound.

I would definitely NOT put them in the same category with all the junk I hear on the pop radio stations:

American Idols
Nickleback (and everyone else trying to sound like them)
Evanescence
Justin Timberlake

:sick:

Rock most definitely, pop music is generally made for the masses by record producers by picking performers and writing songs for them which they don't perform themselves, and can barely sing nowadays.

Sure ATYCLB had a feeling of popular music, but it still wasn't the most approachable, nor was it manufactured music.

Not to mention, watch them live, even on a "bad" night and say they are anything but a rock band?

powerhour24 said:
Rock most definitely, pop music is generally made for the masses by record producers by picking performers and writing songs for them which they don't perform themselves, and can barely sing nowadays.

Do you think that some rock music sounds manufactured?? I listen to the radio and I feel as though the rock genre has been infected with this new type of rock: the lyrics don't say much, the singers are terrible, and the sounds is nothimg more than blaring. I feel like a lot of "rock" musicians are now trying to portray an image and fit into this certain type of mold (I really don't know what to call it.) Perhaps it is my age, but most of it sounds the same to me. :shrug:

Pop music to me is the music in which its people singing over music that they are not performing with, often times, lyrics they didn't write. Include the list redhotswami gave. Rap goes there to an extent too. I think it should all be grouped into "Talentless Music."

U2 is, has been, and always will be rock. The only Pop thing they did was their act and dress during PopMart.

HTDAAB and ATYCLB don't have a pop type thing about them.

All Because Of You isn't pop.
New York isn't pop.
Elevation (live) isn't pop.
Vertigo isn't pop.

U2 isn't pop.

What song by U2 sounds like pop music? I don't undertand where those who say they are pop or pop-rock are coming from.

Wild Honey is pop.

So was 80% of everything The Beatles ever recorded.

People have different views of pop.

I think of pop as great, catchy, urgent songs, that demand your attention.

"Fool In The Rain" by Zeppelin is pop as pop can be.

Others think of all pop as "Top 40": Nsync, Britney, etc.

We call these people idiots.

Last edited:
david said:
U2 are Pop-Rock

pop-rocks-tropical-punch.jpg

Reggie Thee Dog said:

I admire your bluntness MrBrau1.

He's blunt, but he's correct. If any self-respecting music fans associate pop music ONLY with Justin Timberlake and the like, then they are indeed horribly misinformed. 'Idiot' is maybe a strong word, but...

BANZAI said:
In my opinion U2 have always been a mixture between a popband and a rockband. Since the release of ATYCLB it seems they've become more like a pop band. Only songs like Elevation, Vertigo, LAPOE and Crumbs have a little rocking feeling, although with a poppy edge. I have nothing against real pop bands, but I just don't hope U2 will go that way. That's why I truly hope they won't go the musical direction of Window in the Skies.

U2 seems to explore various genres of music. I feel that ATYCLB and HTDAAB, for the first time, is U2 exploring the more "pop sound" of U2. That is, see if they could make U2 songs that could be hits. Keep in mind, this is U2, so we aren't talking Timberlake or Mariah or Christina or Shakira or whomever style of "pop". Instead, it's more of a Beatle-esque style. And I appreciate it for what it is. It's not something U2 has done before and in that sense, it is rather unique.

Additionally, U2 usually explore a style for a few albums. There's the famous breakdown of threes: Boy-War, UF-R&H, AB-Pop. So will there be a third album in this style? Possibly.

But note what happens as U2 explores that sound. Usually it becomes darker, harsher, more experimental and more "rockin'". Granted, there are exceptions to this if one did a song to song comparison - I'm just talking about the general feel to the albums.

And we can hear this already with "Bomb" with "Love & Peace" and "Fast Cars". Therefore, if U2 continues this trend of "threes", while I expect some pop-rock songs like WITS, I also expect some songs that might really throw us. For example, while "Pop" was written in the same vein as AB and "Zooropa", "Mofo" was like nothing they ever did and was really unique for U2.

While I do really enjoy ATYCLB and HTDAAB, even I have to admit to not wanting another pure pop album. We got that, but I too hope U2 get more rocking and forget songs like "A Man and a Woman" or "One Step Closer". HTDAAB would have been so much better, IMO, had it included "Electrical Storm" and "Mercy" (or even WITS) instead. Therefore, U2 needs to save some of this light "adult contemporary" stuff for their b-sides or special releases. Give us one more great rock or harder edged album. It might just be the last one! :sad:

Re: Re: Pop or Rock?

doctorwho said:

Give us one more great rock or harder edged album. It might just be the last one! :sad:

But even U2's "rock" has been very pop-rock of late. From the brilliant (Beautiful Day) to the awful (All Because of You). I think it would be great if they put all their big-single energy into only a few songs on an album, and let the rest run free. I don't have a problem at all with U2 creating and wanting universal tunes that appeal to a mass audience - it's a great thing and when they nail it, they fucking nail it - I just wish they'd mix it with some stuff that, how do I explain, is swimming in waters that run a little deeper?

So many of the ATYCLB/Bomb songs only get a listen from me when I'm doing surface level stuff. Vertigo, Elevation, COBL - I swear I only listen to these type of songs when I'm running. I'm not really paying any attention, I just want some upbeat music. I can't really think of any songs off the Bomb that I listen to when I'm in a real music-listening mood. They just don't satisfy me like that. Late night/headphones & the Bomb mix like oil and water to me. I miss that side of U2.

Last edited:
But if Pop music is stuff thats "generated by producers for the masses" then I say U2 definitely isn't. Their sound IMHO has never been mainstream. They've always stood out from the other popular music. I don't fit them into the mold of today's rock, nor do I fit them into the mold of pop music. Even with the local rock station, their music sounds nothing like the new stuff that's dominating the airwaves.

depends on your Pop.

Originally, "Pop" was short for "Popular"

Differen tconnotation today I know.

However I defy anyone to listen to great "Pop" albums like Dear 23 or Bellybutton and say it's not art and just downright incredible songwriting

Most recently, U2 hasn't been as much Pop as I'd say more just plain uninspiring and bland.

Aside from the beatles / 80 , when else Pop music had a simple thing called.....

'Guitar ' ? specially Explorer

U can't say u2 is exactly doing pop sound , not until The Pop Artists or whatever know what's a thing called Big Muff , or Tube Screamer

And more

Back
Top Bottom