Pop or Rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
J_NP said:

Nothing wrong , but say it has bigger quality than Bomb And Leave Behind ????

That's a too much :huh: for me

Well in that case, we disagree. Promenade is really really pretty and I prefer it to ATYCLB or HTDAAB. :yes:

in a spiral staircase to the higher ground
I like a firework explode
roman candle lightning lights up the sky

The vocals are so spontaneous! They don't sound forced at all. And the music and atmosphere are simply out of this world!

:heart:

Zootlesque said:

Well in that case, we disagree. Promenade is really really pretty and I prefer it to ATYCLB or HTDAAB. :yes:

in a spiral staircase to the higher ground
I like a firework explode
roman candle lightning lights up the sky

The vocals are so spontaneous! They don't sound forced at all. And the music and atmosphere are simply out of this world!

:heart:

Yes! We agree again.

Promenade is one of the best things they have done.

When "With Or Without You" was released, it was at odds with what was happening on the radio. It was very non-pop sounding. Adam said it sounded like something that would be better suited for a church than the radio. If anything, it was more of an alternative smash hit. What I'm trying to say is, there should be some guidelines to what actual "pop" is. I think what defines "pop" is a song that was made and meant for the radio. Not only in a marketable sense, but also in a recorded and written sense. I think "New Years Day" is very anti-pop. Yet it broke thru miraculously because it's an excellent song. Same with "With Or Without You" and other songs such as "Where The Streets", "Desire", "Lemon", "Pride", "Sunday Bloody Sunday"...these are songs that were pretty much hits by accident. I don't think U2 recorded them with the thought of having a huge hit. "With Or Without You" wasn't even considered being released. What U2 songs would be considered pop, in that they were thorougly planned to be released on radio (in my opinion) would be "Vertigo", "All Because Of You", "Original Of The Spieces", "Sweetest Thing", "Elevation", "Window IN The Skies", "Walk On". These songs seem like they were consciously cultivated into hits. And I'm not saying those songs are terrible (i even like half of them), but they seem like they were specifically guided by the possibility of having a hit.

ozeeko said:
When "With Or Without You" was released, it was at odds with what was happening on the radio. It was very non-pop sounding. Adam said it sounded like something that would be better suited for a church than the radio. If anything, it was more of an alternative smash hit. What I'm trying to say is, there should be some guidelines to what actual "pop" is. I think what defines "pop" is a song that was made and meant for the radio. Not only in a marketable sense, but also in a recorded and written sense. I think "New Years Day" is very anti-pop. Yet it broke thru miraculously because it's an excellent song. Same with "With Or Without You" and other songs such as "Where The Streets", "Desire", "Lemon", "Pride", "Sunday Bloody Sunday"...these are songs that were pretty much hits by accident. I don't think U2 recorded them with the thought of having a huge hit. "With Or Without You" wasn't even considered being released. What U2 songs would be considered pop, in that they were thorougly planned to be released on radio (in my opinion) would be "Vertigo", "All Because Of You", "Original Of The Spieces", "Sweetest Thing", "Elevation", "Window IN The Skies", "Walk On". These songs seem like they were consciously cultivated into hits. And I'm not saying those songs are terrible (i even like half of them), but they seem like they were specifically guided by the possibility of having a hit.

Who cares what their intentions were/are?

A pop hit is/was a pop hit.

Judge the song, on the merits of the song.

Not speculation of motives.

I find comfort in the fact that U2 live will never turn into a pop stage act. Seeing I Will Follow (albeit an older song) performed live in Milan confirmed for me that these guys can still ROCK. Find me a pop act that can compare to that!

Back
Top Bottom