Pop or ATYCLB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POP or ATYCLB

• Pop

Votes: 56 53.3%
  • All that you cant leave behind

Votes: 49 46.7%

• Total voters
This is totally weird, where is all this Pop love coming from? I love all U2 albums, and ATYCLB was really loved by alot of people ehre when it came out.

I remember how happy all the U2 "fans" were when ATYCLB came out and how it was "one of their best three" and back then never did anyone say "oh my God, its ALMOST as good as Pop" or "Pop was better" or "doesnt anyone miss Pop?" so I find it amazing that Pop is winning the poll. Must be alot of popsters.

Zoocifer said:
I had to listen to Pop directly after listening to ATYCLB since I'd gotten a tooth-ache. :macdevil:
:laugh:

oh, and U2LA, maybe we're fixing the poll...j/k! actually i'm just as surprised as you are! maybe most of the pop fans keep their opinions under wraps (which would be something a lot of us could take to heart after seeing all the threads here lately) :D

U2LA said:
This is totally weird, where is all this Pop love coming from? I love all U2 albums, and ATYCLB was really loved by alot of people ehre when it came out.

I remember how happy all the U2 "fans" were when ATYCLB came out and how it was "one of their best three" and back then never did anyone say "oh my God, its ALMOST as good as Pop" or "Pop was better" or "doesnt anyone miss Pop?" so I find it amazing that Pop is winning the poll. Must be alot of popsters.

U2LA, I would not take this as an accurate or scientific represtentation of what all fans think. If you could poll every fan in the world, Pop would not do very well. The poll of sales has already proven that. There was another poll of these two albums about a month back in an album ratings war and ATYCLB won.

You see, there is a group of people here who are really big 'popsters' and they are so abrasive and overbearing to the ones who don't like it, treating them like there is something wrong with them, insulting them and flaming them until they give up. See, Seconds has already said he will not post in a Pop thread again. Gypsy and J got themselves a new asshole ripped. Scatteroflight just makes a few comments. Salome's posts fall on deaf ears. No one else even bothers anymore. These people have succeeded in pressuring and forcing their opinion as the prevailing one of this forum until everyone else feels inadequate and doesn't want to admit what a 'bad fan' they are, or they just don't want to fight. Maybe most of them feel too mature or intelligent to engage in such behavior and stop arguing. So you are left with only one opinion, much like a child with a bad temper who who has to win so badly that he screams and throws the Chutes and Ladders board because he got the long slide down. These people love Pop so much they cannot stand it that most fans and most of the public did not, so they must convince themselves, and everyone else, that they are the only ones who are right, the only ones who know the truth, and everyone else is sadly lacking. Sigh. This is very, very old . :yawn:

One more thing: I am irritated with the 'ballsy' and 'gutsy' comments. Not everything that is 'ballsy' or 'gutsy' is smart. Just watch that show "Jackass" if you don't believe me;) Not everything that is 'brave' is a good move, some are very bad mistakes. Pop was perhaps the worst move of U2's career. No one can accurately say that ATYCLB was, because it sold more, was better recieved by more fans, the public, the media, and was better accepted all around. I didn't see Pop U2 asked to do the Super Bowl or NBA halftime. Everyone I have spoken to in the real world likes ATYCLB, when Pop is mentioned, they laugh. No, in the world outside this community, it is generally accepted that Pop was not a good move. I do not mean to condemn anyone who likes it, it is just as okay to like it as it is to not like it and that should be respected on both sides. But I think that it is wrong for them to glorify it and make it out to be some great unappreciated work of art and genius that only a hundred or so special people can see and everyone else is ignorant and wong when even the band knows that is not the truth. It is also wrong to insult the intellect of fans who did not find it appealing. They think it's the people who bash Pop who are attacking their opinion, but in fact it's the other way around, or at least a door that swings both ways. That 'adjust your cranium' comment was the last straw for me.

For these reasons, it is not the Pop fans who keep their opinions under wraps, it's the other way around! Oh, and I would not be a bit surprised if the poll were fixed. :ohmy: ATYCLB did win in the rating poll last month.

Last edited:
ooohhh okaaayyyy

and is J the same J from Wire? If he is...he will be stirring up all kinds of caca!

Pop was good U2, ATYLCB is classic U2, its all GREAT because it IS U2! Now you know where I fall in this...

Desire4Bono said:
These people have succeeded in pressuring and forcing their opinion as the prevailing one of this forum until everyone else feels inadequate and doesn't want to admit what a 'bad fan' they are, or they just don't want to fight. Maybe most of them feel too mature or intelligent to engage in such behavior and stop arguing.

:scratch: :eyebrow: I must be on a different forum. I have never seen this happen here before. All I have seen is some people laying into POP as if it's the worst thing on earth, and those who like it defending it. I haven't seen anybody trying to force their opinion on anyone. :confused:

wertsie said:

:scratch: :eyebrow: I must be on a different forum. I have never seen this happen here before. All I have seen is some people laying into POP as if it's the worst thing on earth, and those who like it defending it. I haven't seen anybody trying to force their opinion on anyone. :confused:

Obviously you haven't read the three Pop threads on this page, and all the Pop threads in the past, or you're reading them with eyes blinded by love for Pop dearie.

Did you miss the 'adjust your craniuim' post, just to name one? I did not make my observations lightly. Actually, as I stated in my post, VERY few people even bother to speak of Pop in a less than glowing way anymore, so I don't see where you get this idea of poor little Pop being jumped on by a bunch of ogres. There are guys on this forum who basically yell out (not in so many words but in message) "Pop rocks, and if you don't think so, you must be stupid, and if you don't start liking it you are a worthless piece of shit!" I have seen the bashing of ATYCLB much harsher and more vicious lately, and that might just be burning envy.

Werstie, this is nothing personal against you. Most of those I was referring to are guys, only 1 girl, and it's not you.

Desire4Bono said:
so I don't see where you get this idea of poor little Pop being jumped on by a bunch of ogres.

I don't think that's true either. It's just a matter of differing opinions, I guess. Maybe I do tend to see people dissing POP more because I do like it. I don't know why people feel the need to cut others down just because they don't agree. I enjoy having intelligent conversations (or threads, in this case) about POP, but when people go around making oh-so-intelligent (note sarcasm) statements like, "POP sucks the big one!" it's hard to do that.

I think both sides should chill. :hug:

It's all about U2! THAT's what matters!

Adding one thing...It seems like the "newbies" are the ones who tend to spout off in one direction or another (ie. "Pop sucks!" or "If you don't love POP you're not a fan"). No offense to the newbies, just a general observation...

Last edited:
wertsie said:

I don't think that's true either. It's just a matter of differing opinions, I guess. Maybe I do tend to see people dissing POP more because I do like it. I don't know why people feel the need to cut others down just because they don't agree. I enjoy having intelligent conversations (or threads, in this case) about POP, but when people go around making oh-so-intelligent (note sarcasm) statements like, "POP sucks the big one!" it's hard to do that.

I think both sides should chill. :hug:

It's all about U2! THAT's what matters!

Adding one thing...It seems like the "newbies" are the ones who tend to spout off in one direction or another (ie. "Pop sucks!" or "If you don't love POP you're not a fan"). No offense to the newbies, just a general observation...

{{{WERTSIE}}}

You're right, BOTH sides need to chill. But I never saw anyone say "POP sucks the big one" however, I did see a thread called 'Why ATYCLB sucks the big one' and it was full of words like 'suckey' that I have not seen written about Pop. What I have seen a lot of is people not taking sides but asking everyone to stop! When the neutral people become annoyed, it's gotten insane. On the subject of newbies, J is the only one who took the anti-Pop side. There were several newbies making comments in favor of Pop, and negative towards those who do not like Pop, and I wondered if they were all really "newbies" or just the same guys playing around. Maybe they made new names to vote for Pop extra times in the poll, who knows?;) I don't hate any album, but I do hate the crap that has gone down because of these two CD's. I like ATYCLB better because for me it's more of a pleasure to listen to and I only skip 2 songs, I skip 5 on Pop.

I have a suggestion, everyone go get their favorite U2 CD and play it loud! Rock out, enjoy it and stop thinking about the ones you don't like, and why or why not anyone else likes them! :happy:

Last edited:
Desire4Bono said:

I have a suggestion, everyone go get their favorite U2 CD and play it loud! Rock out, enjoy it and stop thinking about the ones you don't like, and why or why not anyone else likes them! :happy:

:up: Great idea! Well, at the moment I have all my U2 CDs in random rotation on my computer. Very interesting way to listen...one minute it's Stories for Boys, and the next it's Gone!

Desire4Bono said:
You see, there is a group of people here who are really big 'popsters' and they are so abrasive and overbearing to the ones who don't like it, treating them like there is something wrong with them, insulting them and flaming them until they give up.
*ahem* as you said in a later post, yes, both sides do need to chill. however, i think you're giving the pro-pop people a bad rap. and yes, anti-pop threads HAVE been started recently. i believe jick himself has started at least two anti-pop threads. just because they're not titled "why i think pop sucks the big one" doesn't change the fact. and i've seen quite a bit of flaming and insulting come from the atyclb camp.

and besides, us mods have been hinting that ALL of this crap really needs to settle down. and as you mentioned, when, e.g., salome brings it up, it goes unnoticed by the people it's directed at. hell, now there's this thread. i mentioned much earlier, on page one, that i'm sick and tired of it. all this pop vs. atyclb stuff is old and tired. it's been argued to death and the same outcome occurs every time. it's a shocker, too: everyone's entitled to their own opinion! we're all allowed to express it, it just seems some can't keep it to themselves enough and must start thread after thread of anything dealing with either album. and here i thought all of page one of EYKIW would be all about the electrical storm and the new greatest hits. it's finally getting there, i think. and i'm all for it. enough of living in the past and rehashing years-old debates about which album is better, when there's no right or wrong answer.

Pop was perhaps the worst move of U2's career. No one can accurately say that ATYCLB was, because it sold more, was better recieved by more fans, the public, the media, and was better accepted all around. I didn't see Pop U2 asked to do the Super Bowl or NBA halftime.
hey now. sales don't neccessarily add up to an album being better. i'm sure everyone can think of an album that's a work of art and didn't sell millions. and the worst thing is, pop DID sell millions! sure, for many it was bought purely on hype, that it was the first new U2 record in four years. but maybe it taught people to not buy things sight unseen, especially with a band like U2 who's always constantly changing. if they were expecting achtung baby 2 they should've known that they don't repeat themselves.

oh, and to get all technical, i didn't see the joshua tree U2, or achtung baby U2, which i'm sure many fans in and out of the forums would argue that one or both is some of their greatest works, weren't asked to do the super bowl or nba halftime. just because 2000 marked the first times they ventured into doing saturday night live, the super bowl, etc. doesn't mean it was because of sales. sure, the phenomenal sales got them the offers, but U2 decided to take the publicity thing by storm. (no, i'm not saying U2 sold out, because frankly, imo, they didn't.)

Oh, and I would not be a bit surprised if the poll were fixed. :ohmy: ATYCLB did win in the rating poll last month.
that's just low. the only people who could "fix" a poll is the mods (of this forum only), as we have access to the votes and such, and can edit polls. i can only speak for myself, but i don't think this poll is so important to any of us that we'd FIX a freaking album poll. i hope you were joking when you said that, as it's such a preposterous thing. as it's been mentioned, these polls are by no means scientific. at the very least, new members have joined since the rating poll last month, and the one before that, etc. new people have voted, and people who voted in previous polls probably didn't vote in this one.

U2LA said:
and is J the same J from Wire? If he is...he will be stirring up all kinds of caca!
yes, yes it is.

I didnt create this post for arguements. Go somewhere else please. This is a simple fucking pool and for all of yous that are spouting off about everyone else stop and take a look at yourselves. Fuck vote and be happy. Or dont vote and be happy either way be happy and stop bitching!!!!!

My fave to dance to: Pop
My fave to soar to: ATYCLB
My fave to air drum to: Pop
My fave to air guitar to: ATYCLB
On Monday I listened to: Pop
On Tuesday I listened to: ATYCLB
(Wed was UF :D)

See? It's easy to love both.:up:

KhanadaRhodes said:

hey now. sales don't neccessarily add up to an album being better. i'm sure everyone can think of an album that's a work of art and didn't sell millions. and the worst thing is, pop DID sell millions! sure, for many it was bought purely on hype, that it was the first new U2 record in four years. but maybe it taught people to not buy things sight unseen, especially with a band like U2 who's always constantly changing. if they were expecting achtung baby 2 they should've known that they don't repeat themselves.

Yes, sales don't necessarily measure how good an album is, look at how many the teen pop crap albums sell- but that is just a fad, much like Pokemon or Ninja Turtles. When you have a well established band with a long career and a large fan base, and one album sells less, it usually is a good indication that a majority of the fans didn't find it as appetizing as the others. Yes it sold millions, but JT, AB and ATYCLB sold millions MORE. That means something. People liked them better. Sure, a lot of those people may have been casual fans, but the band depends on those people to buy their albums and come to their concerts too, and their purchases have contributed a lot to U2's success.

I agree that if people were expecting AB 2 they should have known not to, because the band is constantly changing. By the same logic, no one should have expected Pop 2 and then bitched because the next album was different. Yeesh, so they made Pop, some people liked it and some didn't and the band moved on. Everyone should know they aren't going to 'repeat themselves' so stop whining when the next album they put out is not the same as the one you liked. I just find it 'ironic' that some of the biggest pro-Popsters who always tell 80s fans they're living in the past, are now doing the same thing themselves! See, it all comes home to roost. But, to quote Linkin Park, in the end, it doesn't really matter!

Desire4Bono said:
I just find it 'ironic' that some of the biggest pro-Popsters who always tell 80s fans they're living in the past, are now doing the same thing themselves!
true. i'm a fan of all decades, really. i've seen a lot of the pop fans diss fans of the 80's U2 (as you mentioned) and now the tables have turned. i don't know what anyone else was expecting, but i knew we wouldn't get another pop. so for me, it's just "all right, i wasn't too wild about atyclb, so i just hope they'll make something more in the vein of what i like next time!" i'm sure they've got at least two more albums up their sleeves, so maybe they'll make something that'll appeal to everyone, even if it takes a couple albums. :D

KhanadaRhodes said:

so maybe they'll make something that'll appeal to everyone, even if it takes a couple albums. :D

Let's hope so, but who knows? It seems like it's really hard to please everyone...

Back
Top Bottom