Pop is seriously good shit.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
When I came home I spent most of my pre-Pop time listening to AtomicBono's endless ramblings about Pop (which I now know were all pretty justified :wink: ) or being told to get it. I liked it a fair bit when I got it, now I just love it and had to rexpress some thoughts.

Discotheque - 8.5
Don't care what people say this song is a great number and yes the boomchas are absolutely terrific. It's a great song, and then I hit the boomchas. And it just gets better and better.

Do You Feel Loved - 10
Newest entrance to my previously impenetrable top ten. Absolutely love it. The intro, the guitar, bass, drums are awesome but its Bono's vocals in the lead-in that make me love this song. For all the ladies out there? Do you love those verses?
With my fingers as you want them
With my nails under your hide
With my teeth at your back
And my tongue to tell you the sweetest lies

I reckon they're incredibly sexual. Love this song.

Mofo - 10
Walking to school the other day. And the bridge comes on. My pace increased tenfold after the but no one tells me noooooo...... bit. Fuking awesome.

and the rest..
IGWSHA 8
SATS 6.5
LNOE 8
Gone 10 :combust: How good is this song? That piano...:heart:
Miami 4.5
Playboy Mansion 6
IYWTVD 8 Would love it more if it was better produced and the squeaky noises annoy me a bit. But how good is it when the guitar breaks...
Please 9 - Didn't like it all that much in the past, now I think it's some of Bono's best vocals of the 90s, and for a song that doesn't end with a rush of energy the outro is sensational. Still trying to understand the film clip though lol
and
Wake up Dead Man 9 - yes it's depressing, melancholy, but what an amazing song. My favourite closer after Love is Blindness. Amazing.

Only SATS, TPM and Miami bring it down for me.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Love it.

Now where is Atomic Bono.

POP is the last great album of U2

Discotheque 7
DYFL 10
MOFO 10
IGWSHA 8
SATS 7
LNOE 7
Gone 9
Miami 9
Playboy Mansion 9
Velvet Dress 10
Please 9
WADM 9

...so i rate POP 8,66

Discotheque 8
Do You Feel Loved 8
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOFOOOOOOOOO 9
If God Will Send His Angels 9
Staring At The Sun 9
Last Night On Earth 9
Gone 10
Miami 6
Playboy Mansion 8
Velvet Dress 9
Please 10
Wake Up Dead Man 9

SERIOUSLY good shit.

I was slow to warm to Pop- but love most of it now, there is some great stuff on there...

Discotheque 8
Do you feel loved 10
Mofo 9
If God will send his Angels 10
Staring at the sun 9
Last night on Earth 8
Gone 10
Miami 4
Playboy mansion 5
Velvet dress 7
Please 10
Wake up dead man 9

Pop is a truly brilliant album but it doesn't quite scale the heights of the 3 U2 albums I call great: The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby.

My scores are

Discotheque: 8

Do You Feel Loved: 8

Mofo: 10

IGWSHA: 5

Staring At The Sun: 8

Last Night On Earth: 7

Gone: 9

Miami: 8

Playboy Mansion:7

ITWTVD: 7

Please: 9

Wake Up Dead Man:

I think If they had released the first 3 songs as the first 3 singles, starying with Mofo as the lead single, the album would have done much better. The only song which brings it down for me is IGWSHA, which until I had the misfortune to hear Miracle Drug, was my least favourite U2 song ever. Mofo and Wake Up Dead Man are absolutely sublime and will always be in my U2 top 20.

It's definitely gotten better with age.

At the time, I remember being disappointed, for a few reasons. First, the songs weren't big, swooshy, catchy anthems, and the previous few albums each had at least a couple tracks like that. Second, the album didn't chart well, and the songs didn't get played on the radio, so there wasn't that same level of public U2 "excitement" going around.

Discotheque: 7
Like Beautiful Day and Streets, I've heard it many times it needs a rest.

Do You Feel Loved: 5
Never really listen to this one much.

MOOOOOFOOOOOOOO: 10
Great song. A true live rock song.

If God Will Send His Angels: 9
Never listened to it much until I saw the video.

Staring at the Sun: 6
The bridge is good.

Last Night on Earth: 8
Live version made me like more.

Gone: 10
Like Mofo. A real rocker. I also like the new mix from the best of.

Miami: 9
Probably U2's most unique song ever.

Playboy Mansion: 7
Drags a bit then picks up at the end.

Please: 5
Never pay attention to it much. Least played song off Pop.

Wake Up Deadman: 7
First heard it and was like WTF??? :huh:

pop is the last u2 cd i have. from boy, october, war,The Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum, Achtung ,zooropa and Pop.
thats it. for me u2 have not made any new albums, ya they have made some OK songs. but an album? i think not.
pop rocks. love it.

Acrobat Angel said:
I was slow to warm to Pop- but love most of it now, there is some great stuff on there...

Discotheque 8
Do you feel loved 10
Mofo 9
If God will send his Angels 10
Staring at the sun 9
Last night on Earth 8
Gone 10
Miami 4
Playboy mansion 5
Velvet dress 7
Please 10
Wake up dead man 9

i agree with you AA ,

pop fucking rocks.. has accompanied me through some weird wonderful and nasty times.

wake up dead man is a very powerful song, jesus, jesus help me, im alone in the world and a fucked up world it is too.......

POP is a brilliant album! Exciting! Fun! Cool! Powerful!

And was a brilliant tour also - ah, the memories!

Whereas ATYCLB :madspit: (the sound of 4 men hitting 40 - no, not the song).
I enjoyed the Elevation tour though, but not nearly as much as the PopMart tour!

I HATE people who say "if you don't 'get' POP then you don't get U2"........

....but it's true :wink:

POP is like the bastard child of the U2 clan.

I've called it a Techno-Punk Album for years -- it has the slick production for a techno album, but the roughness in many places for a punk album

Such an amazing piece of work to sit and listen to on headphones.

Like the album, don't like the tour.
Songs have been growing on me, but not the album as a whole, I still find it hard to listen to it from beginning to end.
But songs like Staring at the Sun, Please and Wake up dead man are easily amongst my all-time-favourites now.
Not my favourite U2-album, though, and I still have ambivalent feelings towards Pop, simply because all the controversy surrounding it here is going on my nerves. Which is a shame.

COBL_04 said:

Do You Feel Loved - 10
Newest entrance to my previously impenetrable top ten. Absolutely love it. The intro, the guitar, bass, drums are awesome but its Bono's vocals in the lead-in that make me love this song. For all the ladies out there? Do you love those verses?
With my fingers as you want them
With my nails under your hide
With my teeth at your back
And my tongue to tell you the sweetest lies

I reckon they're incredibly sexual. Love this song.

YES! :drool: and the bass is the best thing about that song! It's pretty easy too...

COBL_04 said:

Mofo - 10
Walking to school the other day. And the bridge comes on. My pace increased tenfold after the but no one tells me noooooo...... bit. Fuking awesome.

Mofo is just the most kickass song U2 have made :rockon: I absolutely love it! these two are among my faves :love:

SATS/LNOE/GONE is a pretty remarkable sequence of songs for mi-album U2. They usually sneak in slow stuff at that point.

Re: Re: Pop is seriously good shit.

Galeongirl said:

Mofo is just the most kickass song U2 have made :rockon: I absolutely love it! these two are among my faves :love:

Absolutely. :up:

The Pop Mart intro........"Pop Pop Pop Pop Pop muzik..."
I saw that tour, incredible.

"Pop begins on a high. 'Discotheque' is bright, contemporary and in your face. At least on the surface, it is a hedonistic celebration of the ephemral, build around a big, 'phat' upful beat. But from that acknowledgement of worldy addictions on, the record journeys down - from dance to despair. It may have been planned differently, but in the final analysis of Pop presents us with a bleak picture indeed, portraying a world devoid of sense or values, teetering on the brink of collapse." <-- from U2 Into the Heart
wow, huh? did you ever notice that? how pop starts off with all these techno songs that are fast and upbeat (disco, mofo, do you feel loved), and then it transitions down until the last few songs are slow and sad? deep, huh? everything's cool and shiny at first, but the cold hard reality is cruel.

COBL_04 said:
When I came home I spent most of my pre-Pop time listening to AtomicBono's endless ramblings about Pop (which I now know were all pretty justified :wink: )

YEAH THAT'S RIGHT BITCHES UNNNGHHH THOSE WHO DIE ARE JUSTIFIED

:wink:

Well I don't know if I need to add more about Pop. I haven't listened to it much lately because I've been listening to so much other music, but it still is and likely always will be my favourite album.

I'm glad you dig Do You Feel Loved. It's been the most played song on my iPod for over two years now. There's something about it...I'm always in the mood for it, no matter what. It works if you're in a I'm-a-badass mood or a The-world-fucking-sucks mood or whatever.

Mofo is U2's most badass song though. The first three songs on Pop are probably what I listen to the most...strongest opening trio ever. But I love every song on it. I'd probably rate Miami and The Playboy Mansion slightly lower than everything else on the album, like maybe 8/10, but everything else is 10/10 (or higher :wink: )

tuwie - good point (and good quote). I'd say it's U2's darkest record - yes, even moreso than Achtung Baby. Even the fun opening of Discotheque has some rather disheartening lyrics. "You take what you can get/'cause it's all that you can find/But you know there's something more..." Quite easy to get in the head of a character becoming lost within worldy pleasures, indulging and trying to be happy, but never really filling in the emptiness. Reminds me of Bloc Party's "Song For Clay (Disappear Here)."

I find it interesting that NME gave Pop an 8/10 rating, and Rolling Stone gave it 4/5. Mojo called it "the first must-hear record of 1997." What a fucking failure of a record, eh? Clearly the critics hated it...:rolleyes:

interesting review from Slant magazine written in 2004: http://www.slantmagazine.com/music/music_review.asp?ID=200 4 out of 5 stars. Also, its rating on Amazon is 4 out of 5 stars. Doesn't sound like a failure to me :shrug:

Pop is a very, very good album.

It could have been great if it wasn't for the truely awfulness of:

Discotheque,
Miami,
Playboy Mansion.

:shame:

Come On people! Show some more love for Miami! Freakin' Great Song, One of the best I've ever heard in my life. Completely original, unlike alot of their newer stuff.

Back
Top Bottom