Pop is seriously good shit.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reggie Thee Dog wrote:
If Pop is such a 'great' U2 album...how come U2 rarely plays anything off it live or even care to mention it anymore...
...maybe they have lost their taste in good music ???
POP is lightyears ahead of their last two lukewarm albums...and POP is a ROCKER!

Reggie Thee Dog said:
If Pop is such a 'great' U2 album...how come U2 rarely plays anything off it live or even care to mention it anymore...:eyebrow:

I mean they are the 'artists' that created it...right...:hmm:

because the media jumped on them after the terrible opening of Popmart and they never really recovered?

also, they feel it was unfinished, always have. i still love it. it's not their favourite but it's mine.

is HTDAAB U2's best album? according to Bono it is, or only second to AB.

I completey agree with that statement actually. If I ever met Brian Eno I would ask him, "explain to me how you can possibly think EPAA is finished?" It sounds like Bono drifitng in and out of consciousness.

The only unfinished bits for mine on Pop are the production on Velvet Dress and maybe igwisha. Bit quiet. Otherwise I don't get it :huh:

And Bono will think their new album will be their best when it comes out too.

MIAMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII my mammy

:rockon:

AtomicBono said:

because the media jumped on them after the terrible opening of Popmart and they never really recovered?

also, they feel it was unfinished, always have. i still love it. it's not their favourite but it's mine.

is HTDAAB U2's best album? according to Bono it is, or only second to AB.

Oh, according to Bono every album-they-just-released is their best yet......

If they were so proud of HTDAAB how come they were only playing 4 songs off of it by the end of the tour ?

At the end of the Pop tour they were still playing 8 or 9 new ones (including HMTMKMKM)

Reggie Thee Dog said:
If Pop is such a 'great' U2 album...how come U2 rarely plays anything off it live or even care to mention it anymore...:eyebrow:

I mean they are the 'artists' that created it...right...:hmm:

I think U2 feel that most fans think Pop was awful, or else they may not even be familiar with it, so the band is very paranoid that playing any Pop songs will take the energy out of the show. I feel pretty confident that this is the main reason they shun Pop songs in concert. With some random exceptions, U2 are pretty cautious about playing songs that they think people might not respond to.

I wish they'd use it as an opportunity to prove it to people that these songs rock.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
The Unforgettable Fire is more unfinished than Pop :shh:

In my opinion :wink:

(And I like The Unforgettable Fire!)

agreed

Pop doesn't sound unfinished to me, but I guess they didn't necessarily have the mixes they wanted. But I think I prefer the album versions of every song to the new mixes...the live versions did improve most of them though. If LNOE had the solo at the end it has live, and Please was like the live version (not necessarily the single; I don't care for the strings much), and Miami was more like its live arrangement, then the album would indeed be better. but I love it tha way it is.

and drt4, I agree. I wonder how much truth there is to it though...I mean Pop obviously has a dedicated hardcore fanbase but what does the average U2 fan think of Pop? Do they dislike it, like it fine, love it, not know it exists...?

jacobus said:
...maybe they have lost their taste in good music ???
POP is lightyears ahead of their last two lukewarm albums...and POP is a ROCKER!

They played about 4 songs from that album on Elevation and Discotheque and almost Mofo on Vertigo. It doesn't have to do with losing taste, but how much space they have on the setlist (casual fans would rather hear Pride, One, and New Year's Day over songs they've never heard before)

I really think they'll play some of those songs on the next tour.

drt4 said:

I think U2 feel that most fans think Pop was awful, or else they may not even be familiar with it, so the band is very paranoid that playing any Pop songs will take the energy out of the show. I feel pretty confident that this is the main reason they shun Pop songs in concert. With some random exceptions, U2 are pretty cautious about playing songs that they think people might not respond to.

I wish they'd use it as an opportunity to prove it to people that these songs rock.

I think, a loud minority really love Pop. I can take it or leave it. It's not awful, but it's not a visionary as some think. I mean that whole sound/style of music was a mid-90's fad. It came it went...no one misses Trip-hop/Techno whatever you want to call it. U2 got caught up in it, tried it out, didn't work for them or the majority of fans so they've left it behind.

I don't agree that it's their last 'great' album. Say what you will about ATYCLB or HDTAAB, but they surely were more popular. Does that make them great albums...:shrug:...but they definitely have brought U2 back into the limelight and cemented their status as Rock Gods.

My problem is people stating, as fact, that Pop is the LAST good/great album by U2...or that if you don't get Pop you don't get U2....that's ridiculous.

toscano said:

Oh, according to Bono every album-they-just-released is their best yet......

If they were so proud of HTDAAB how come they were only playing 4 songs off of it by the end of the tour ?

Because Bad is better than LAPOE
Walk On is better than Yahweh
Kite is better than OOTS
The Saints Are Coming was more recent than ABOY
etc etc

I couldn't avoid posting in this thread any longer

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I mean that whole sound/style of music was a mid-90's fad. It came it went...no one misses Trip-hop/Techno whatever you want to call it.

Oh really? :wink: I miss trip-hop... and techno. Besides, Pop didn't have anything to do with techno! Unless you want to count the Mofo remixes or the Discotheque David Morales Deep Club Mix which were not even on the album. As for trip hop, the only song that remotely sounds like that sub genre is Velvet Dress. So NEWSFLASH! Pop is a rock album, guys! And a damn good one!

Less fans like/bought Pop and October in comparison to the albums that get more songs in the setlist. Pretty simple really.

coolian2 said:

Because Bad is better than LAPOE
Walk On is better than Yahweh
Kite is better than OOTS
The Saints Are Coming was more recent than ABOY
etc etc

LAPOE was still in the set at the end.

All those things weren't true at the beginning of the tour ?? (other than Siants) ?

You forgot "almost anything" is better than Miracle Drug

toscano said:

LAPOE was still in the set at the end.

All those things weren't true at the beginning of the tour ?? (other than Siants) ?

You forgot "almost anything" is better than Miracle Drug

LAPOE still got dropped for Bad.

I think it was a case of they took another tilt at the ATYCLB songs and they probably doubled up with the HTDAAB songs, and for better or worse the ATYCLB songs won out.

Actually, i'm talking bollocks.

I think on the last tour, the Boy and AB loving took out the Pop songs. (they played 5 songs on Elevation)

We'll see what happens on the next tour.

As for the last leg lack of Bomb songs, remember Australians didn't get Elevation so more ATYCLB material was played. Also consider the 2 new U2:18 songs, and Desire and Angel of Harlem coming in the set (possibly due to Rattle and Hum being one of the biggest U2 albums in Australia).

U2girl said:
I think on the last tour, the Boy and AB loving took out the Pop songs. (they played 5 songs on Elevation)

We'll see what happens on the next tour.

As for the last leg lack of Bomb songs, remember Australians didn't get Elevation so more ATYCLB material was played. Also consider the 2 new U2:18 songs, and Desire and Angel of Harlem coming in the set (possibly due to Rattle and Hum being one of the biggest U2 albums in Australia).

Yeah, but you could say the same for the Pop tour; South Africans and Israelis didn't get squat before, and they were still playing 7 or 8 new songs

Popmart had a static setlist throughout, it would be harder to change things around. There wasn't a new U2 release mid-tour, either.

Forgot to add the amazing versions of Kite and One tree hill on the last legs of Vertigo. In total there were 6 new songs in the setlist, of course Bomb material will get cut for it.

U2girl said:
Forgot to add the amazing versions of Kite and One tree hill on the last legs of Vertigo. In total there were 6 new songs in the setlist, of course Bomb material will get cut for it.

Exactly.

They weren't going to break up the big theme section of the show - save for Bad - they weren't going to change the Zoo encore either.

They dropped Hutdab material because we missed out on the Elevation tour. Personally I thought that was great, but I would've like to heard Miracle Drug. Loved that song since day one. :heart:

Y'know what my favourite part of Playboy Mansion is?

Don't know if I can wait that long
Till the .. come crashing and the lights turn oooonnn....

POP is amazing!

It was in 1997 that I discovered U2 with this album. I remember lying on the beach in Italy while listening to Staring at the Sun...amazing! Except Miami, all songs are great! The performance of Gone during Elevation Tour was incredible!
And such a strong lyrics! In my opinion they never reached this creative level anymore after Pop. The only thing that's a little bit disappinting is the fact that some of the songs could be better/more produced in my opinion...

But I really don't understand why the band members themselves were never very positive on this album. Maybe because of the fact that comercially it was less succesfull? I like the more conventional albums ATYCLB and HTDAAB but for me it would be great if they dream it all up again! Experimentation!

Back
Top Bottom