Pop is seriously good shit. - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2007, 02:15 PM   #101
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by drt4

I think U2 feel that most fans think Pop was awful, or else they may not even be familiar with it, so the band is very paranoid that playing any Pop songs will take the energy out of the show. I feel pretty confident that this is the main reason they shun Pop songs in concert. With some random exceptions, U2 are pretty cautious about playing songs that they think people might not respond to.

I wish they'd use it as an opportunity to prove it to people that these songs rock.
I think, a loud minority really love Pop. I can take it or leave it. It's not awful, but it's not a visionary as some think. I mean that whole sound/style of music was a mid-90's fad. It came it went...no one misses Trip-hop/Techno whatever you want to call it. U2 got caught up in it, tried it out, didn't work for them or the majority of fans so they've left it behind.

I don't agree that it's their last 'great' album. Say what you will about ATYCLB or HDTAAB, but they surely were more popular. Does that make them great albums......but they definitely have brought U2 back into the limelight and cemented their status as Rock Gods.

My problem is people stating, as fact, that Pop is the LAST good/great album by U2...or that if you don't get Pop you don't get U2....that's ridiculous.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:00 PM   #102
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by toscano

Oh, according to Bono every album-they-just-released is their best yet......

If they were so proud of HTDAAB how come they were only playing 4 songs off of it by the end of the tour ?
Because Bad is better than LAPOE
Walk On is better than Yahweh
Kite is better than OOTS
The Saints Are Coming was more recent than ABOY
etc etc

Old 07-31-2007, 07:39 PM   #103
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:34 PM
I couldn't avoid posting in this thread any longer

Quote:
Originally posted by Reggie Thee Dog
I mean that whole sound/style of music was a mid-90's fad. It came it went...no one misses Trip-hop/Techno whatever you want to call it.
Oh really? I miss trip-hop... and techno. Besides, Pop didn't have anything to do with techno! Unless you want to count the Mofo remixes or the Discotheque David Morales Deep Club Mix which were not even on the album. As for trip hop, the only song that remotely sounds like that sub genre is Velvet Dress. So NEWSFLASH! Pop is a rock album, guys! And a damn good one!
Old 07-31-2007, 07:46 PM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:34 PM
Less fans like/bought Pop and October in comparison to the albums that get more songs in the setlist. Pretty simple really.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:12 PM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:34 PM
Re: I couldn't avoid posting in this thread any longer

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
So NEWSFLASH! Pop is a rock album, guys! And a damn good one!
Seriously. There are more danceable songs on October than on Pop.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:21 PM   #106
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by coolian2

Because Bad is better than LAPOE
Walk On is better than Yahweh
Kite is better than OOTS
The Saints Are Coming was more recent than ABOY
etc etc
LAPOE was still in the set at the end.

All those things weren't true at the beginning of the tour ?? (other than Siants) ?

You forgot "almost anything" is better than Miracle Drug
Old 08-01-2007, 01:51 AM   #107
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by toscano

LAPOE was still in the set at the end.

All those things weren't true at the beginning of the tour ?? (other than Siants) ?

You forgot "almost anything" is better than Miracle Drug
LAPOE still got dropped for Bad.

I think it was a case of they took another tilt at the ATYCLB songs and they probably doubled up with the HTDAAB songs, and for better or worse the ATYCLB songs won out.

Actually, i'm talking bollocks.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:13 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

I think on the last tour, the Boy and AB loving took out the Pop songs. (they played 5 songs on Elevation)

We'll see what happens on the next tour.

As for the last leg lack of Bomb songs, remember Australians didn't get Elevation so more ATYCLB material was played. Also consider the 2 new U2:18 songs, and Desire and Angel of Harlem coming in the set (possibly due to Rattle and Hum being one of the biggest U2 albums in Australia).
Old 08-01-2007, 04:28 PM   #109
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
I think on the last tour, the Boy and AB loving took out the Pop songs. (they played 5 songs on Elevation)

We'll see what happens on the next tour.

As for the last leg lack of Bomb songs, remember Australians didn't get Elevation so more ATYCLB material was played. Also consider the 2 new U2:18 songs, and Desire and Angel of Harlem coming in the set (possibly due to Rattle and Hum being one of the biggest U2 albums in Australia).
Yeah, but you could say the same for the Pop tour; South Africans and Israelis didn't get squat before, and they were still playing 7 or 8 new songs
Old 08-07-2007, 03:37 AM   #110
Blue Crack Addict

Popmart had a static setlist throughout, it would be harder to change things around. There wasn't a new U2 release mid-tour, either.

Forgot to add the amazing versions of Kite and One tree hill on the last legs of Vertigo. In total there were 6 new songs in the setlist, of course Bomb material will get cut for it.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:02 AM   #111
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
Forgot to add the amazing versions of Kite and One tree hill on the last legs of Vertigo. In total there were 6 new songs in the setlist, of course Bomb material will get cut for it.
Exactly.

They weren't going to break up the big theme section of the show - save for Bad - they weren't going to change the Zoo encore either.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:44 AM   #112
45:33

Local Time: 07:34 AM
They dropped Hutdab material because we missed out on the Elevation tour. Personally I thought that was great, but I would've like to heard Miracle Drug. Loved that song since day one.

Y'know what my favourite part of Playboy Mansion is?

Don't know if I can wait that long
Till the .. come crashing and the lights turn oooonnn....
Old 08-08-2007, 07:20 AM   #113
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04

Don't know if I can wait that long
Till the .. come crashing and the lights turn oooonnn....
[/B]
Old 08-08-2007, 07:22 AM   #114
Refugee

Local Time: 09:34 PM
POP is amazing!

It was in 1997 that I discovered U2 with this album. I remember lying on the beach in Italy while listening to Staring at the Sun...amazing! Except Miami, all songs are great! The performance of Gone during Elevation Tour was incredible!
And such a strong lyrics! In my opinion they never reached this creative level anymore after Pop. The only thing that's a little bit disappinting is the fact that some of the songs could be better/more produced in my opinion...

But I really don't understand why the band members themselves were never very positive on this album. Maybe because of the fact that comercially it was less succesfull? I like the more conventional albums ATYCLB and HTDAAB but for me it would be great if they dream it all up again! Experimentation!
Old 08-09-2007, 05:53 AM   #115
45:33

Local Time: 07:34 AM
While I'm here Any idea when this godforsaken DVD is going to come out? I can't bloody wait!
Old 08-09-2007, 06:25 AM   #116
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04
While I'm here Any idea when this godforsaken DVD is going to come out? I can't bloody wait!
Amazon com says September, 18 and is already taking pre-orders. The German Amazon site says September, 7 and there is also a short compilation of different songs from the show available to watch:

http://www.amazon.de/U2-Popmart-Live...6654746&sr=1-1
Old 08-11-2007, 08:51 AM   #117
The Fly

Local Time: 06:34 AM
I loved most of that album. "Side 2" was slow to like though, but really worth it in the end.