Pop Haters Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Hate" is a bit strong. I do not like most of Pop though, and I keep listening to it and trying to like it. There are a couple of very good songs on it (Gone is the best!) but the rest just doesn't do it for me. Sorry, hope that doesn't make me a bad fan.

My only problem (which i must mention WEEKLY) is the record thrived LIVE! I bought Popmart Mexico City before I bought 'Pop' when I was twelve and wasn't so much a purist and wanting to hear studio recordings before live stuff so i could compare...

I heard 'Mofo' and 'Last Night on Earth' and was COMPLETELY blown away!! I'm yet to hear a better 'Last Night on Earth' so if anyone has one, let me know! But the songs just sound so FULL and COMPLETE live, Mofo especially (I've just watched their MTV Europe awards appearance and it's stunning!)

When I bought 'Pop' I immediately thought some of the tracks just sounding too bland when it came to the actual sound. The above two mentioned tracks sounded EMPTY!

Apart from that, some of the tracks I wouldn't EVER change. Miami, DiscoTheque, Please, Wake Up Dead Man. They're integral to the album and I can't imagine them sounding any different. I just put up with any problems I have with the album, which at the end of the day are just PERSONAL nitpickings, so I think it should be left alone!!

This thread was supposed to attract the haters but all it could attract was love for the album, Pop!

:heart:

That's just because it was a crap thread only started for the sole reason of getting into an argument. Like we have any trouble with that here on Interference without a catalyst. :rolleyes:

POP had some great songs(Gone, SATS, Please) but for the most part, it was a poor album.

I don't really hate the album, but it was not the masterpiece most people in this forum make it out to be.

Imagine any other band singing "Miami My Mammy". Most of you would have bashed the song. But because its U2, it makes it ok.

Somehow I feel like I stepped into a trap :)

My 5th favourite album. It's not a masterpiece but I don't see reasons to hate it...

Discothèque :dance:
Mofo :rockon:
Gone, Last Night on Earth :up: :up:
Wake Up Dead Man :drool: :drool: :bow: :bow:

Seconds said:
POP had some great songs(Gone, SATS, Please) but for the most part, it was a poor album.

I don't really hate the album, but it was not the masterpiece most people in this forum make it out to be.

Imagine any other band singing "Miami My Mammy". Most of you would have bashed the song. But because its U2, it makes it ok.

Somehow I feel like I stepped into a trap :)

"you're caught in a trap, you can't move around...." Sorry off on an Elvis tangent there. :lol:

I fully agree, if "Miami" had been sung by someone like Phil Collins, it would have been slagged, bagged and buried under 20 tons of manure. Horrible song!:madspit:

Yeah, that is one appalling lyric.

Rest of album is ok though, but it's not among my favourites.

blueeyedgirl said:

I fully agree, if "Miami" had been sung by someone like Phil Collins, it would have been slagged, bagged and buried under 20 tons of manure. Horrible song!:madspit:

You don't get it.

Bono wrote Miami - it's all there in the song, in the attitude and in the humour.

If you don't 'get' Miami then you don't 'get' Pop.

People who don't 'get' Pop are looking through closed eyes.

A classic.

Wait a minute...isn't this supposed to be a Pop haters thread?

I'm outta here!

blueeyedgirl said:

If With or Without You was sung by Phil Collins it would be buried under 20 tons of manure as well.

U2mixer said:

You don't get it.

Bono wrote Miami - it's all there in the song, in the attitude and in the humour.

If you don't 'get' Miami then you don't 'get' Pop.

People who don't 'get' Pop are looking through closed eyes.

A classic.

Wait a minute...isn't this supposed to be a Pop haters thread?

I'm outta here!

Yes it was, but the haters almost disappeared and the love was bigger :wink:

I started it because i wanted to see what's wrong with it.
With unhuman efforts i can't find any mistake in that album, except The playboy mansion, but that my opinion of the song, not the album.
Everytime we start pop loving thread, we get 5-> pages of loving it, but in normal threads(not speaking of pop) i see many people saying that they are glad u2 only made one album like that, u2 didn't include any pop songs on this tour...etc.

Back
Top Bottom