Pop Did Not Fail Because Of The Music, It Failed Because...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
all_i_want said:

"Pop is inflected with the desire for a higher power to save the world from its jaded spiral of decay and immorality, which is why the group's embrace of dance music never seems joyous -- instead of providing an intoxicating rush of gloss and glamour, it functions as a backdrop for a plea of salvation. Achtung Baby also was a comment on the numbing isolation of modern culture, but it made sweeping statements through personal observations; Pop makes sweeping statements through sweeping observations. The difference is what makes Pop an easy record to admire, but a hard one to love.'

s. thomas erlewine

Saving the world from its jaded spiral of decay and immorality? Sure, that's why U2 bought a hotel with a nightclub in it.

In my opinion this review says more about the agenda of the reviewer than the record!

all_i_want said:
what i remember someone saying about POP was.. at the beginning, the question, 'do you feel loved?' is posed, and by the end, it is quite clear that the answer is 'no'.

I remember reading that somewhere! Amazon.com review maybe... don't know. I like the AMG review. Easy record to admire. Hard one to love. I still love it. :wink:

financeguy said:

Saving the world from its jaded spiral of decay and immorality? Sure, that's why U2 bought a hotel with a nightclub in it.

In my opinion this review says more about the agenda of the reviewer than the record!

I've read about a hundred U2 reviews talking about their backround more than the album

Also...I think the whole "adventure" of the 90s U2 could be summed up w/ 'Tryin to Throw Your Arms Around the World', and how they found their "roots" in ATYCLB

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:

I've read about a hundred U2 reviews talking about their backround more than the album

Also...I think the whole "adventure" of the 90s U2 could be summed up w/ 'Tryin to Throw Your Arms Around the World', and how they found their "roots" in ATYCLB

I disagree. I believe it can all be summed up in one of the two Zooropa tracks Bono doesn't sing: The Wanderer. You want 90s U2 in a nutshell, listen to that song's lyrics.

-Miggy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom