Pop backlash - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
Babyface

Local Time: 09:53 AM
Pop backlash

If Pop had ended up to be as huge as AB AND JT, what music direction would have U2 taken?

Old 05-04-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:53 PM
I think we may not have had to wait so long for the follow up! Also, I'm sure that they wouldn't have felt the need to go back to the "traditional" U2 sound.
I hope that the sucees of the last two albums will encourage the boys and give them confidence enough in their creative powers to go all experimental on us again! Hopefully with Brian Eno twiddling the knobs again!!

Old 05-04-2006, 11:22 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:53 AM
Thank The Lord we will never have to find out and can now listen to the delicious current record
Old 05-04-2006, 11:26 AM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:53 AM
What if JT hadn't been a sucess, where would U2 be?
Old 05-04-2006, 02:45 PM   #5
New Yorker

If Brian Eno and Dan Lanois hadn't joined u2 and UF hadn't been done , where would U2 and Edge be now ?
Old 05-04-2006, 05:07 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:53 PM
U2
Old 05-04-2006, 05:52 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:53 AM
If The Earth had never been formed, where would U2 be now?

Somehow on Edge's spaceship, imo
Old 05-04-2006, 06:13 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:53 AM
LOL! Silly people.

Silliness aside, it's still a challenge to call "Pop" a failure. It sold 1.5M in the U.S. and about 6-8M worldwide (all depends on which source you read). The tour still drew the most ever for U2.

Nonetheless, after a near decade of experimentation, I know I was ready for a change. How much further could U2 push that industrial, techno, pop sound? If they pushed more, they would pretty much cease being U2!

That said, AB, Zooropa, OS1 and "Pop" all featured some very classic sounding U2 songs. This proves to me that no matter how much U2 experiment, they will still produce songs that sound like the U2 we have known for 25 years. Therefore, even if "Pop" had been a bigger hit, I'm not sure U2 still wouldn't have tried to pull back and re-explore their own sound. This still might have happened.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:25 PM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 03:53 PM
good point
Old 05-04-2006, 07:59 PM   #10
New Yorker

Agree with Pero , great point doctorwho

And for anyone who says Pop sucks or it's a failure , dude your brain is what is failing
Old 05-04-2006, 08:03 PM   #11
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:53 AM
I think they would've inevitably gone back to a "classic" sound, but with more of a blend w/ their '90s work.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:05 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

i adore pop even more cos its branded as a failure. Tbh calling it a masterpeice does not do the album justice.

If pop would of been the success equal to Ab and JT i think they would of rushed through a raw rock album tbh.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:07 AM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 02:53 PM
i disliked POP for nearly 7 years but then i started to rediscover how good this album was. POP imo is the rough diamond in U2s history. i am very frustrated that they u-turned after POP. i hope they can deliver again next time a more brave experimental and more hard-rocking album as their last 2 soft-rock albums.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:17 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:53 PM
I think we'd be getting the classic U2 sound anyway, even on Pop it shows they're rounding up the decade of experimenting.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:05 AM   #15
The Fly

I don't believe they changed directions because of Pop backlash and joking. I think they changed because that's what U2 does, they change. Look even though JT was a HUGE success, they changed with AB. They'd have put out ATYCLB regardless of if Pop was big or not, because that's where they were at that time in their lives.

However, I have read interviews where they admitted they had been running from being U2, and Edge convinced them it was okay to be themselves. They were practicing one day and Edge played a riff and Bono said, 'no that sounds too much like the Edge, too much like U2' and Edge said 'but we ARE U2 and I AM The Edge. What's wrong with that?' It gave them a realization that being what they really were wasn't a bad thing, they didn't have to go out of their way to try to be something else just for the sake of saying 'look at me I'm different!'. Also, in another interview, they told about how a 'DJ saved my life tonight' by pointing out to them that their music was so much better stripped down without all the extra effects and noises they'd been using. And of course Larry and Adam were worried about being 'replaced by a drum machine.' But in the end, U2 changed and changed again, because that's what they do.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:15 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
I don't believe they changed directions because of Pop backlash and joking. I think they changed because that's what U2 does, they change. Look even though JT was a HUGE success, they changed with AB. They'd have put out ATYCLB regardless of if Pop was big or not, because that's where they were at that time in their lives.

Um, did you forget about Rattle and Hum? That received lots of critical backlash and that's when they decided to change directions with AB. Sure U2 likes to change on their own accord, but to think getting burned by the critics doesn't provide some extra motivation for them to do so is foolish. It happened after Rattle and Hum and it happened after Pop, both would be considered their most radical changes.

They even admitted that with ATYCLB they wanted to get back on the radio to compete with the crappy pop and rap songs that currently dominated it.

So if Pop had been a big success that got a lot of radio play would they have made such a radical change? I'm not so sure, as one of their stated objectives with ATYCLB was to get back on the radio.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:45 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Old 05-05-2006, 04:08 PM   #18
Acrobat

As my wife always reassures me - size doesnt matter.

POP was exactly what U2 needed when they released it. Whether it sold 10 or 10 million copies was irrelevent. It was a natural progression and was something the music industry desparately needed even if it didnt realise it. U2 got no thanks for it but then R & H was panned by critics (as someone on here pointed out) but when you look back at it it is filled with absolute quality.

With POP it is full of classic U2 but with a different attitude - an almost 'up yours' attitude but the songs still carry the emotion and depth of The Joshua Tree which I consider to be the perfect album.

It is laid out perfectly - something U2 have mastered - the songs are in the right place and just thinking about this album now despite not having listened to it for a couple of years - the hairs on the back of my neck are beginning to stand up.

It sucks you in with Discotheque and you just know the Edge is having a free run! You feel safe in the knowledge that U2 wont let you down and brace yourself for what is to come.....and my god the brace is worth it. Its a rollercoaster from there but its so so smooth and right.

Do You Feel Loved
Mofo
If God Will Send His Angels
Staring At The Sun
Last Night On Earth
Gone
Miami
The Playboy Mansion
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Please
Wake Up Dead Man

Point out a bad song from that lot I challenge you. I know you cant so save your energy. When you listen to it everything is new yet classic, its fresh, energetic and edgy.

Its everything it should be and more. It was never a failure it was simply misunderstood by those that didnt grasp everything U2 are and everything they exude (sp).

Its a gem, it was needed and it is class!
Old 05-05-2006, 05:46 PM   #19
roy
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by CKONE
As my wife always reassures me - size doesnt matter.

POP was exactly what U2 needed when they released it. Whether it sold 10 or 10 million copies was irrelevent. It was a natural progression and was something the music industry desparately needed even if it didnt realise it. U2 got no thanks for it but then R & H was panned by critics (as someone on here pointed out) but when you look back at it it is filled with absolute quality.

With POP it is full of classic U2 but with a different attitude - an almost 'up yours' attitude but the songs still carry the emotion and depth of The Joshua Tree which I consider to be the perfect album.

It is laid out perfectly - something U2 have mastered - the songs are in the right place and just thinking about this album now despite not having listened to it for a couple of years - the hairs on the back of my neck are beginning to stand up.

It sucks you in with Discotheque and you just know the Edge is having a free run! You feel safe in the knowledge that U2 wont let you down and brace yourself for what is to come.....and my god the brace is worth it. Its a rollercoaster from there but its so so smooth and right.

Do You Feel Loved
Mofo
If God Will Send His Angels
Staring At The Sun
Last Night On Earth
Gone
Miami
The Playboy Mansion
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Please
Wake Up Dead Man

Point out a bad song from that lot I challenge you. I know you cant so save your energy. When you listen to it everything is new yet classic, its fresh, energetic and edgy.

Er...no.....Seriously Miami & Playboy Mansion are both amongst the worst songs ever recorded by U2 IMO.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:09 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by roy

Er...no.....Seriously Miami & Playboy Mansion are both amongst the worst songs ever recorded by U2 IMO.
u kidding me ? 2 of the coolest songs u2 have done , both with sexy lyrics and well produced.